Replacing the seniors

Gopherprof

Reaction score
This is mostly in response to the "we will be even worse next year." It's certainly possible, but let's look at the actual losses.

Jay Thomas- Thomas has been an ok returner in his career, but injuries ruined his chance at ever being a real contributor. Thanks for your efforts Jay, but we lose nothing here.

Logan U'u- Hope you enjoyed your free education Logan. Best of luck to you.

Nick Tow-Arnett- Nick is a real quality player with good hands, but as an athlete he's below average. He's done a nice job so far this year, but Eric Lair seems like he can make up for the production. If not, someone else will.

Jeff Tow-Arnett- I haven't noticed a drop off with Trey Davis, and Davis has two more years to develop. Nothing against Jeff, thanks for your efforts and play, but will we really miss him?

Ned Tavale/U]- There was a time when Ned was a player for the team. Now is not that time.

Matt Stomes- That experiment never worked out.

Ryan Ruckdashel- Who?

Garrett Brown & Eric Small- I like Brown and Small, but I think Kirksey and Edwards can at least match their production, if not surpass it next year.

Cedric McKinley- Another guy who has contributed, so thanks, but he's just another guy, who also happened to get arrested during Wisconsin week.

Raymond Henderson- Hope you enjoyed the free education Raymond.

Derrick Onwuachi- Derrick is another guy I like, but he's not exactly irreplaceable. There may be a bit of a drop-off from McKinley, Moen, Onwuachi to Jacobs, Wilhite, Hageman, but probably not a ton.

Barrett Moen- Nothing against Moen, but a good team would not be starting Barrett Moen

Ben Kuznia- I remember.

Campbell, Lawrence, Triplett- Lawrence has been dissapointing so far, but you have to give it up for Campbell and Triplett. Both guys are lunch-pail type guys that make me proud to be a Gopher fan. That said, neither are terribly athletic and get by mostly on toughness. There will probably be a drop-off at linebacker next year, but longterm I think we're better.

Traye Simmons, Marcus Sherels- See above. We'll probably a little weaker at cornerback next year, but it's not like we're all that great there now either. Simmons could have been a lot better than he is. Sherels is another Barrett Moen type.

Rex Sharpe & Michael McKelton- Wow. There sure are a lot of seniors that aren't doing much of anything this year.

David Pittman- exhibit A why I don't usually like junior college players.

Eric Decker- obviously we'll miss Decker a ton. He's probably the only player on the team right now with a serious NFL future in front of him. That said, if there is any position on the field where we have depth it is at WR. Brandon Green, Troy Stodermire, Hayo Carpenter, and likely either Da'Jon McKnight or Bryant Allen can handle the position. Collectively, everyone on offense will have to improve to pick up the slack, but considering Decker and Tow-Arnett are the only ones leaving, I think we can do it.

So, to review, we are definitely losing a lot of experience on defense, but in most cases we have the talent to replace them. Hopefully the guys are mentally prepared to start, since that is what we are going to be losing. On offense, Decker and Tow-Arnett will be missed, but we'll return 9 starters, and guys like Gray, Whaley, and Brandon Green will all have more experience.

It's about equal to me. We'll need some leaders to step up, and hopefully the guys will be coached up enough to know the system once they get on the field. Only time will tell there.

hey, it is the first rational post of the afternoon! nice breakdown. :clap:

that being said. why do i even come on here after a loss anymore?! for several hours afterward it is nothing but "i remember when i had my first beer too" types of anti-gophers posts. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that the sky is falling, but I do somewhat disagree with you.

On offense, all we lose is the best player on the team:(

On defense, however, I think the following players are better than those who will replace them:
Garrett Brown
Eric Small
Lee Campbell
Simoni Lawrence
Nate Tripplett
Traye Simmons
Marcus Sherrels

Tha's a lot to lose on a defense that has been keeping us in games. I like the way Cosgrove and Lee are coaching, however, and am hopeful (but not certain) that they can put together a unit that is as good as this year's.

isn't that like 80% of your current defense? Things do look good for next year!

This is mostly in response to the "we will be even worse next year." It's certainly possible, but let's look at the actual losses.

Jay Thomas- Thomas has been an ok returner in his career, but injuries ruined his chance at ever being a real contributor. Thanks for your efforts Jay, but we lose nothing here.

Logan U'u- Hope you enjoyed your free education Logan. Best of luck to you.

Nick Tow-Arnett- Nick is a real quality player with good hands, but as an athlete he's below average. He's done a nice job so far this year, but Eric Lair seems like he can make up for the production. If not, someone else will.

Jeff Tow-Arnett- I haven't noticed a drop off with Trey Davis, and Davis has two more years to develop. Nothing against Jeff, thanks for your efforts and play, but will we really miss him?

Ned Tavale/U]- There was a time when Ned was a player for the team. Now is not that time.

Matt Stomes- That experiment never worked out.

Ryan Ruckdashel- Who?

Garrett Brown & Eric Small- I like Brown and Small, but I think Kirksey and Edwards can at least match their production, if not surpass it next year.

Cedric McKinley- Another guy who has contributed, so thanks, but he's just another guy, who also happened to get arrested during Wisconsin week.

Raymond Henderson- Hope you enjoyed the free education Raymond.

Derrick Onwuachi- Derrick is another guy I like, but he's not exactly irreplaceable. There may be a bit of a drop-off from McKinley, Moen, Onwuachi to Jacobs, Wilhite, Hageman, but probably not a ton.

Barrett Moen- Nothing against Moen, but a good team would not be starting Barrett Moen

Ben Kuznia- I remember.

Campbell, Lawrence, Triplett- Lawrence has been dissapointing so far, but you have to give it up for Campbell and Triplett. Both guys are lunch-pail type guys that make me proud to be a Gopher fan. That said, neither are terribly athletic and get by mostly on toughness. There will probably be a drop-off at linebacker next year, but longterm I think we're better.

Traye Simmons, Marcus Sherels- See above. We'll probably a little weaker at cornerback next year, but it's not like we're all that great there now either. Simmons could have been a lot better than he is. Sherels is another Barrett Moen type.

Rex Sharpe & Michael McKelton- Wow. There sure are a lot of seniors that aren't doing much of anything this year.

David Pittman- exhibit A why I don't usually like junior college players.

Eric Decker- obviously we'll miss Decker a ton. He's probably the only player on the team right now with a serious NFL future in front of him. That said, if there is any position on the field where we have depth it is at WR. Brandon Green, Troy Stodermire, Hayo Carpenter, and likely either Da'Jon McKnight or Bryant Allen can handle the position. Collectively, everyone on offense will have to improve to pick up the slack, but considering Decker and Tow-Arnett are the only ones leaving, I think we can do it.

So, to review, we are definitely losing a lot of experience on defense, but in most cases we have the talent to replace them. Hopefully the guys are mentally prepared to start, since that is what we are going to be losing. On offense, Decker and Tow-Arnett will be missed, but we'll return 9 starters, and guys like Gray, Whaley, and Brandon Green will all have more experience.

It's about equal to me. We'll need some leaders to step up, and hopefully the guys will be coached up enough to know the system once they get on the field. Only time will tell there.

I agree almost a 100% here, but our DEnds have to be better next year, don't they? we don't really even have D-Ends - we play four defensive tackles. (insert name) is way too slow to play DEnd. My hope is that amongst Wilhite, Garin, Gregory-McGee, and Hageman, two of those guys emerge - every single one of them has to be faster than the guys playing now, right? Please?

And I'm sorry, but I thought Sherels was okay last year, but he has been awful, and Simmons is just agravating - he doesn't tackle, so if he can't cover anybody, then what? I have high hopes for Carter, but we don't have much else at this point, which is scary.

On offense, all we lose is the best player on the team:(
And next year there will be another best player on the team. We'll be returning 9 starters and a few more role players. You've got to think that most, if not all, of them will develop. I personally think Brandon Green is going to breakout once Weber (or whomever) is forced to look his way.

Tha's a lot to lose on a defense that has been keeping us in games.
Again, I respect all of our starters, and really anyone who gives their time to try and help the team, but most of those guys are very replaceable. They are who we have now, and most of them, as seniors, deserve the chance to start. Probably none of them have NFL futures (Campbell and Simmons could get drafted or at least make a practice squad).

Futhermore, while our defense has been ok, it's not like it's that good either. We're still giving up a ton of years and 20+ points almost every single game.

2 things.

1. trey davis is not playing center, burris is (and doing a fine job at that).

2. i love campbell and triplett, but they missed a lot of tackles today. i like that cooper seems to bring the ball-carrier down if he gets a hand on him

2b. i, for one, am thankful for the all the time and effort that these seniors have put into the program. i don't necessarily think a thread designed to show how bad they really are is as constructive as the OP meant it to be.

2b. i, for one, am thankful for the all the time and effort that these seniors have put into the program. i don't necessarily think a thread designed to show how bad they really are is as constructive as the OP meant it to be.
That wasn't the intent of this thread at all, and I also said that I appreciate their efforts.

The intent of the thread, as I stated, was to look at the loss of production and see how effectively the guys we will have can fill it.

By mid-season 2010, Edwards and Kirksey will be better than Brown and Small.

Still not seeing why anyone here is going to miss Traye Simmons. He is probably the most overrated recruit of the Brewster era. Carter is better than Sherels right now.

On the LB front (and I put this in another post), Campbell, Triplett, and Lawrence comprise a nice unit, but only Lawrence is a top-tier athlete (and he hasn't been playing particularly well this season). Cooper is a stud and it is going to be interesting to see how Reaves and Singleton develop. That would make for a smaller unit, but it would be really quick.

coming from someone who has "enjoyed a 'free education'" himself i don't think that i like your tone

Cooper is a stud and it is going to be interesting to see how Reaves and Singleton develop. That would make for a smaller unit, but it would be really quick.

Don't forget Tinsley. I predict he'll be a big surprise next year. From what little I've seen of him, he's got the athletic ability and nose for the ball to be a big-time player. Honestly, I think our LB's will be just as good--if not better--next year as they are this year.

coming from someone who has "enjoyed a 'free education'" himself i don't think that i like your tone
Not everyone can contribute much when there are 85 scholarship athletes. Some of the guys fall into that category. I hope they made the best of their scholaships and find good careers outside of football. When discussing the production lost, however, many of these guys really didn't give us much of anything to discuss.

I'm pretty optimistic going in to next year. Whenever you look to the next year it looks like you're going to be worse because you lose seniors and right now we don't know how the younger guys will step up. It's almost impossible to tell if we'll be better or worse next year. Hopefully the younger, faster, and more talented players will step up to replace the more experienced seniors graduating.

One thing that will be huge is that we'll be keeping all of our coordinators (i'm assuming) which will be the first time since Brewster was here. Not having to switch systems in the off-season will be a huge advantage for the players going into next year.

I'm pretty optimistic going in to next year. Whenever you look to the next year it looks like you're going to be worse because you lose seniors and right now we don't know how the younger guys will step up. It's almost impossible to tell if we'll be better or worse next year. Hopefully the younger, faster, and more talented players will step up to replace the more experienced seniors graduating.

One thing that will be huge is that we'll be keeping all of our coordinators (i'm assuming) which will be the first time since Brewster was here. Not having to switch systems in the off-season will be a huge advantage for the players going into next year.

don't know about you, but i am still pretty optimistic about THIS year. ;)

Well this thread is something I didn't think I would see today.

I still like the direction Brewster is trying to go....recruit recruit recruit...and I do hope we have a O (i like the direction).

Unfortunately we didn't go this way on O when Brewster got here....as I do think we would be much better this year than we are. To do what we want...we need those OL recruits....and they don't develop at the same rate as some skill guys.

I like the D coaching....with one exception....the cushion we give their WR. Just see Purdue today...now I remember the press coverage of the 1st Brewster year...and that was a disaster. If I saw a D coach say they would play more press if there was more confidence in the DL to get pressure or them saying our CBs are not talented enough...I could accept that.

Sorry for the rambling post...but I liked that we only gave up 20 to PSU....they whipped Illinois worse than us. It should have been a 13 point loss....but 20 or 13 doesn't really matter.

So like BNG...I'm still optimistic about next week and the rest of the year. We are an average team that should be able to win at least 6 or 7 games this year.

I'm proud of the way they have faught (sp?) this year...and will be proud of them the rest of the year.

Keep fighting Men of Gold.

One other point....the predict Brewster will be gone or calling for him to be gone is just laughable. Brewster has to be given 5 years. Year 1 hardly counts...as he has had 2 recruiting classes really. Maturi not firing Mason until AFTER the bowl game lost a full year. I can't hold that against Brewster.

GM

What about Adam Weber? Oh, that is just wishful thinking of a lot of Gopher fans!!

ok here we go again.....first...... the defense played great this saturday ... they played 80 percent of the snaps because the offense could not move the ball and had mostly three and outs.. the best defense is to keep the opposing offense off the field.....also our failure to move the ball put the defense in the hole in regards to field position... pen state played with a short field most of the game...... on two red zone trips for pen state the defense held after playing on a short field and only gave up field goals.....on the controversial touch down even matt millan the pen state homer said it was not a catch and was shocked that they over turned the call on the field take that play away and pen state only scores 13 points on our defense that had its backs against the wall when in todays college game with the rules slated to give the offense the advantage when a defense holds the opponents to 13 points that should be enough to win the game...

second..... for any body to say that there wont be talent and experience back next year on defense is ill informed and is a casual fan who does not know football.. seniors are always missed but there wont be a drop off,, we have kids now who everyone agrees who are lunch pail guys who have over achieved and made them selves good players.... what you have coming up now and what is being recruited is lunch pail guys who have talent and will be great players...

finally in college football you judge a coach by what his first recruiting class does when they become seniors
i hear and read that this is Brewster's 3rd year yes this is true but his first recruiting class are sophomores when they are red shirt juniors and true seniors if they are not winning then you have a right to be concerned....a good to great college program has stability kids come to college to play for the guy that recruited him... if your school has a reputation of changing coaches if i am a kid I'm not going to come if i know there is a chance you wont be here to coach me and i might not fit into the next guys plans..... it takes a while for a good stew to simmer be patient and give it time you cant rush greatness

Top Bottom