Replacements for Mashburn

Sure. But why didn’t any P6 schools offer? He was a 3 star from Hopkins. Wisconsin missed on him. Iowa did. Nebraska. List goes on. Sometimes low-3s develop and do well at a mid major.

Yes, and sometimes they develop much better than supposedly higher rated players who've come here. Some people treat these ratings like they were derived scientifically through a rigorous process of testing players on their attributes and matching them against each other instead of a bunch of people sitting behind keyboards copying each others homework. Do you think anyone really knows for sure whether someone from Oregon who is rated #200 is any better than someone from Kansas who is rated #280? A relatively small number of players clearly stand out from the pack. After that you have general tiers where it is often difficult to truly distinguish players from one another.

Maybe they could do a little more recruiting the old fashioned way, at least for players in their own backyards. I don't know if the Gophers under Pitino had summer camps for local players where they could observe and test the players for physical attributes, skills, and under competition but that might be a start.

By the way, Akeem Springs and Brandon Johnson were each 2s coming out of high school.

Ishmael El-Amin was a 3 star coming out of high school. As someone who played at Hopkins I think he should have been given the benefit of the doubt.

Dude, he end up at F'ing Ball State. You're acting like the Gophers missed on a kid that went on to be a superstar at Oklahoma or some sh it.

Also as you stated his true shooting % was "not fabulous, but not bad".....Again, at ball state. "Not bad" at a mid major isnt exactly a stop the presses endorsement.

His TO to assist ratio was nearly even this year. He doesn't get many assists and he doesnt rebound a ton. He scroed 16 ppg at Ball State with a 40% FG.

I'd be ok taking him on since we need bodies. But you are acting like the Gophers completely botched not recruiting this kid. There is miles and miles of difference playing in the BIG10 compared to whatever league Ball State is in.

Dude, he end up at F'ing Ball State. You're acting like the Gophers missed on a kid that went on to be a superstar at Oklahoma or some sh it.

OK, that opening, by itself, eliminates you from further consideration. I am not your Dude, I am not your bud, I am not one of your bro friends. The pointlessly gratuitous profanity also is an eliminator. There is a wise old saying when writing: know you audience. Obviously, I am not a member of your normal audience.

Yes, and sometimes they develop much better than supposedly higher rated players who've come here. Some people treat these ratings like they were derived scientifically through a rigorous process of testing players on their attributes and matching them against each other instead of a bunch of people sitting behind keyboards copying each others homework. Do you think anyone really knows for sure whether someone from Oregon who is rated #200 is any better than someone from Kansas who is rated #280? A relatively small number of players clearly stand out from the pack. After that you have general tiers where it is often difficult to truly distinguish players from one another.

Maybe they could do a little more recruiting the old fashioned way, at least for players in their own backyards. I don't know if the Gophers under Pitino had summer camps for local players where they could observe and test the players for physical attributes, skills, and under competition but that might be a start.

By the way, Akeem Springs and Brandon Johnson were each 2s coming out of high school.
I'm just saying he isn't a world beater at ball state, he likely wouldn't have developed as much here and he wouldn't be that helpful even now. Just because you found his name in the portal doesn't mean he is good. He is a local kid--cool. Plenty of non-Minnesotans play college basketball too.

Can he hold camps like that? I've never heard of a single university doing it. So if he does, and its a recruiting violation, would you be good with that?

OK, that opening, by itself, eliminates you from further consideration. I am not your Dude, I am not your bud, I am not one of your bro friends. The pointlessly gratuitous profanity also is an eliminator. There is a wise old saying when writing: know you audience. Obviously, I am not a member of your normal audience.

Yeah, my audience tends to be those that actually know basketball. Just wanted to help you get there one day.

Carry on being the clown of the thread.

Can he hold camps like that? I've never heard of a single university doing it. So if he does, and its a recruiting violation, would you be good with that?

You're kidding me. Holding basketball camps for local youth is a recruiting violation? I don't think so. My graduate school used to hold them all the time in the summer.

You're kidding me. Holding basketball camps for local youth is a recruiting violation? I don't think so. My graduate school used to hold them all the time in the summer.
Local youth is far different than high school kids. He can't have ANY contact with high school kids at certain times and ages. So if you think running 5th graders through drills is valuable for recruiting then I don't know what to tell you...but you're wrong.

Local youth is far different than high school kids. He can't have ANY contact with high school kids at certain times and ages. So if you think running 5th graders through drills is valuable for recruiting then I don't know what to tell you...but you're wrong.
Wrong only if the coach doesn’t care about the school or the future. 5th graders eventually become seniors. 5th graders beg their parents to take them and their friends to games.
Camps have coaches. Developing relationships with local high school coaches is extremely important in recruiting. It’s how you build rapport to get their help steering players to you in recruiting.

Wrong only if the coach doesn’t care about the school or the future. 5th graders eventually become seniors. 5th graders beg their parents to take them and their friends to games.
Camps have coaches. Developing relationships with local high school coaches is extremely important in recruiting. It’s how you build rapport to get their help steering players to you in recruiting.
If you want to know why coaches use to run camps and some still do, I can tell you.
J Robinson made more from camps than the U paid him. He knew those kids weren’t his pipeline because you recruit the kids you want. But he ran camps in multiple states with mostly unpaid labor (his wrestlers) and made 6 figures doing so.
As coaching salaries increase the incentive to do this stuff decreases. Ever notice how it was the Clem Haskins basketball camp—not the Gopher basketball camp? He rented the dorms and facilities to host his camps. They weren’t even at the U of M. But keep pretending.

Pretending what? That you don’t get it? Did J Robinson make himself a household name? Did the wrestling program gain more prominence? Did attendance increase?
Tell me he built no relationships with high school coaches through camps. Tell me it didn’t benefit in recruiting. Tell me no campers ever became Gophers.

So if Pitino had summer camps involving high school and AAU coaches, he would not have signed any more Minnesota high school players in eight years?

I played some PG in high school. Shot 100% (1/1) from the 3. I don't dribble very well with my left though. And both my knees aches after 20 minutes on the stair master.

i didn't know the age cutoff was so low.

i didn't know the age cutoff was so low.
I don’t know the exact ages and dates but I know he can’t just host camps for high school kids. Tons of dead periods and stuff for that. I attended an EYBL event a handful of years ago and coaches couldn’t talk to players. 30 coaches would watch a game and not talk to players. Was kinda bizarre to see. Also hilarious seeing the proverbial who’s who of college coaches (Self, Izzo, calipari, K, Rick Pitino, etc etc etc) crammed onto a 4 row mini bleacher thing. Then you’d see Chris Mullin towering over other coaches. Was pretty neat.

Top Bottom