Regents approve $1.5 million injury ‘recovery suite’

The design is done, and the donations are secured. Although the optics aren't the greatest, this has been in the works for a while (long before Covid), so there is no reason to not do it and get it done before the football season. It's actually a good time to build, as with the uncertainty, construction bids have been favorable lately.

Every little angle to make it better for the players is good in my opinion.

In publicly funded projects, the funding source is important. There are many different pots of money that construction projects can come from, but if this is donor funded I applaud the U's decision to proceed. The timing couldn't be better - besides the public perception - I'm seeing largely discounted pricing on construction right now compared to just a month or two ago. If the facility can tolerate construction traffic and personnel on site during the pandemic, I'd say go for it.

The Board of Regents Presentation starts on page 50 with description and plans.

1. Basis for Project The purpose of the project is to create a new recovery suite for all student athletes. Gopher Athletics sees a need for space that can facilitate different methods of body injury recovery and the promotion of physical and mental health. To continue the success of Gopher Athletics, including the football program, more progressive facilities for both current athletes and new recruits are an important addition to athletic support.

2. Scope of Project The Recovery Suite will be created by renovating approximately 1,400 sf of the existing second floor mezzanine in the Larson Football Performance Center within Athletes Village. Interior renovation of this mezzanine allows the University to maximize open floor space and amenities while introducing new program requirements: sauna room, float tank suites, sleep pod suite, and wellness recovery equipment. Project scope includes minimal demolition, and construction of new rooms and finishes.

3. Master Plan The project complies with the Twins Cities Campus Master Plan dated March 2009. 4. Environmental Issues This project has no anticipated environmental issues.

5. Cost Estimate Construction Cost $1,075,000
Non-Construction Cost $ 425,000
Total Project Cost $1,500,000

Top Bottom