Recruiting

I'm actually surprised that Iowa is recruiting decently this year. It's hard to tell what they have to offer compared to any other Midwest school; it's amazing they get anyone outside of the state of Iowa.

Stoudamire was listed as a 2* -- do you think he sucks? Moving from one level to the next can make or break anyone. There are college players-of-the-year who go on to the pro's and ride the bench. There are guys from D-III schools who become pro all-stars. It really doesn't matter what ranking they get, it matters how they develop at a given level.

As for the main topic -- time builds solidity. This is year 3, and we're continuing to improve. 1-11 to 7-6 is a noticeable improvement. However we could go 5-7 this year and still be a better team than last year due to strength of schedule. I know it's been several decades since we could hold our heads high -- but these things take time. Be patient (and people -- stop making these negative threads!)

Olson is a potential 4*? I know Philips was pretty highly regarded but I had no idea about Olson.

can you tell me exactly why you say that?

according to this article he said:

"and football, I just want a chance to play on the field next year."

i'm pretty sure he would get a good look at the field next year.

i know that he hasn't been too keen to talk about minnesota, but that doesn't mean that we are off his list.
He's given his top list, we aren't on it. So...yeah. He's going to stay out on the West coast by all appearances, probably Cal or Arizona State.

Not a big deal anyway, we've got a lot of line committs. I'd rather not give a spot to another JC.

Can a JUCO redshirt? It just seems that they need a little more time to aclimate than they're able to get to be effective for the two years they have remaining.

I'm actually surprised that Iowa is recruiting decently this year. It's hard to tell what they have to offer compared to any other Midwest school; it's amazing they get anyone outside of the state of Iowa.
Ferentz has done a really good job of taking 2-3 star players and turning them into NFL talent. Look at the Hawkeyes currently in the NFL, it's pretty damn impressive.

Calvin Phillips has been kicked off his high school team, started the year with getting arrested on drug charges, suspended for the first 3 games. Served those games, when grades were posted he was failing all 6 of his classes. I have to wonder if this kid will ever put shoulder pads on again, much less at Minnesota.

Calvin Phillips has been kicked off his high school team, started the year with getting arrested on drug charges, suspended for the first 3 games. Served those games, when grades were posted he was failing all 6 of his classes. I have to wonder if this kid will ever put shoulder pads on again, much less at Minnesota.

Not saying this is true, but if it is, I think its time for Mr Phillips to move away from where this trouble is. Doesn't he have a brother that is a position coach for the Vikes or something?? Might be time to move in with some family elsewhere so he can get his sh!t straight.

Also, with about 27-29 offers to be made this year, one can not get 20+ 4 star recruits. Maybe Texas, LSU, or USC can, but almost everone else will not. We need to have a core base of recruits to fill key areas of need and then continue to work on high level talent to make the class great. That is part of the reason we have so many 2 and 3 star verbals. I'm impressed with how some of the sophomores and redshirt freshman have played. That bodes well for determinnig how this staff evaluates talent.

Top Bottom