Recruiting

Rog

Reaction score
Was watching BTN reporting on each teams recruiting and the question that crossed my mind was: How and when can we have classes like Ohio, Mich. Penn State and even Wisc?
OR can we ever?

It is kind of scary when you look at what we have to face.

To bad the NCAA can't come up with something like what the Pro's have to obtain their players.

Kind of scarry!

Was watching BTN reporting on each teams recruiting and the question that crossed my mind was: How and when can we have classes like Ohio, Mich. Penn State and even Wisc?
OR can we ever?

To bad the NCAA can't come up with something like what the Pro's have to obtain their players.

Kind of scarry!

Our current class is ELITE, so I guess that means we are at that level now.

I don't know if we'd ever be able to sustain that success over a long period of time, but I believe Fleck can and will deliver Minnesota a top-20 recruiting class at some point.

OR can we ever?

Kind of scarry!

Please don't lump Sconny in that list. They are not at the same level as those others. Didn't one of the services have us ahead of Bucky this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next year we better see some big improvements in the class and then the following year should be around 5th in the B1G. That is probably our ceiling for recruiting classes.

Next year we better see some big improvements in the class and then the following year should be around 5th in the B1G. That is probably our ceiling for recruiting classes.

Threatening and then limiting...way to go Bottleass

I think Fleck has the personality, drive and focus to come close. Until we have booster support at the level those teams have it may be difficult. Winning could change that.

It would be nice if the Vikings and Gophers could collaborate in some way. Imagine if Gopher players knew they would have a few joint practices and could get an inside look in a highly regarded pro team. That would be huge, I doubt it would ever happen because I think the Vikings wrongly believe they are competing with the U. What they don't understand is that cultivating a football fan base would raise all boats. Someone needs to figure out a way to make such a relationship beneficial to the Vikings.

If say the U could give up some $$ and schedule the border battle with Wisconsin in US Bank stadium, they could sell that game out and develop the relationship that way. Schedule it late in season when weather is nasty for fans, could help season ticket sales. It would give Vikings financial incentive and promotion.

We need to think outside the box like Harbaugh does. If a booster or even US Bank could sponsor this it could reduce the financial hit for the U.

Somebody forward this to PJ.
��

Thoughts?

I think Fleck has the personality, drive and focus to come close. Until we have booster support at the level those teams have it may be difficult. Winning could change that.

It would be nice if the Vikings and Gophers could collaborate in some way. Imagine if Gopher players knew they would have a few joint practices and could get an inside look in a highly regarded pro team. That would be huge, I doubt it would ever happen because I think the Vikings wrongly believe they are competing with the U. What they don't understand is that cultivating a football fan base would raise all boats. Someone needs to figure out a way to make such a relationship beneficial to the Vikings.

If say the U could give up some $$ and schedule the border battle with Wisconsin in US Bank stadium, they could sell that game out and develop the relationship that way. Schedule it late in season when weather is nasty for fans, could help season ticket sales. It would give Vikings financial incentive and promotion.

We need to think outside the box like Harbaugh does. If a booster or even US Bank could sponsor this it could reduce the financial hit for the U.

��

Thoughts?

Great thinking beyond the box!!

Also - Will TCF stadium ever have new "Fleck Decks" added?

Yeah, I like the idea of embracing the relationship with the Vikings.

I don't like the idea of moving the Bucky game to US Bank. It could be fun to have it a non-conference game at US Bank with a legit P5 opponent.

The last thing I want to see is Badger fans to dominating the crowd in greater numbers that Gopher fans. There are lots of Badger alumni working in the twin cities.

The last thing I want to see is Badger fans to dominating the crowd in greater numbers that Gopher fans. There are lots of Badger alumni working in the twin cities.

Once we start regularly pummeling them that shouldn't be a big problem.

I don't like the idea of moving the Bucky game to US Bank. It could be fun to have it a non-conference game at US Bank with a legit P5 opponent.

Main reason I was thinking rivalry game is because it could be scheduled when weather is usually nasty...

Main reason I was thinking rivalry game is because it could be scheduled when weather is usually nasty...

College football is great in nasty weather.

Not sure the NCAA allows relationships with pro teams- heck you can't have former players be involved in the recruiting process.

Not sure the NCAA allows relationships with pro teams- heck you can't have former players be involved in the recruiting process.

I don't mean a formal relationship. I meant more like games at US Bank. I like that Fleck is going to pro sporting events and that sort of thing. I think one of our selling points is that we are in a major metropolitan area and it's nice to embrace those perks.

Could the U get a box at US Bank stadium and take the recruits to a Vikings game on Sunday before they left?

Well some Harbaugh like ideas would be nice.

Or maybe some boosters with good summer jobs for players and jobs for players parents. :)

Expecting us to recruit on the same level as Ohio State and Michigan is foolish. However there is zero reason we can't recruit on the same level as most of the rest of the conference on a year in an year out basis, certainly no reason we can't match or beat both Iowa and Wisconsin given they are drawing from a very similar region in terms of talent.

Expecting us to recruit on the same level as Ohio State and Michigan is foolish. However there is zero reason we can't recruit on the same level as most of the rest of the conference on a year in an year out basis, certainly no reason we can't match or beat both Iowa and Wisconsin given they are drawing from a very similar region in terms of talent.

Iowa, I agree with.

Wisconsin, that's going to be tough. I hate Wisconsin, but they have a much better game day atmosphere and they are a much better program than we are.

Penn State - - They have some massive built in advantages (PA is loaded with talent).

��

Thoughts?
this seems like a good idea if it is possible. I'm just waiting to find out who the highly regarded pro team you referred to is.

Someone once asked a sportswriter if he thought Nick Sabin would ever coach again in the pros. The sportswriter replied, "Why would he want to give up the number one pick at every team position each recruiting year?" The advantages schools like Alabama and Ohio State have in recruiting are insurmountable for most college football programs to achieve, let alone exceed. These include recent decades of winning traditions, television exposure, fan bases, facilities and quality of head coaches and their staffs.
What Minnesota has to be concerned with is the Big Ten West. Here the story is much different. Minnesota now has the facilities, administration backing (e.g., willingness to pay up for a head coach, borrow to build the new training facility and so forth) and relative success recently. The Gophers should be able to players better than Iowa and as good as Wisconsin very soon. If Fleck can get a few four stars each year as Nebraska still does, Minnesota could end up #1 in recruiting in the Big 10 West. On the other hand, four star recruits among those schools not in the top 20 in recruiting (a similar list, year and year out) are few and far between.

Someone once asked a sportswriter if he thought Nick Sabin would ever coach again in the pros. The sportswriter replied, "Why would he want to give up the number one pick at every team position each recruiting year?" The advantages schools like Alabama and Ohio State have in recruiting are insurmountable for most college football programs to achieve, let alone exceed. These include recent decades of winning traditions, television exposure, fan bases, facilities and quality of head coaches and their staffs.
What Minnesota has to be concerned with is the Big Ten West. Here the story is much different. Minnesota now has the facilities, administration backing (e.g., willingness to pay up for a head coach, borrow to build the new training facility and so forth) and relative success recently. The Gophers should be able to players better than Iowa and as good as Wisconsin very soon. If Fleck can get a few four stars each year as Nebraska still does, Minnesota could end up #1 in recruiting in the Big 10 West. On the other hand, four star recruits among those schools not in the top 20 in recruiting (a similar list, year and year out) are few and far between.

I agree with this take except Wisconsin. They've been pretty damn good for the last 15 years. It will probably take us quite a few years of similar (Rose Bowls, 10+ win seasons) to expect similar types of recruits. I actually am surprised Wisconsin does not recruit better than they do. As much as I hate them, it is a fun place to watch a game. They win at a pretty high level.

I agree with this take except Wisconsin. They've been pretty damn good for the last 15 years. It will probably take us quite a few years of similar (Rose Bowls, 10+ win seasons) to expect similar types of recruits. I actually am surprised Wisconsin does not recruit better than they do. As much as I hate them, it is a fun place to watch a game. They win at a pretty high level.

Their football facilities are not that great and our new football performance center will be better than anything they have.

Ski-U-Mah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their football facilities are not that great and our new football performance center will be better than anything they have.

Ski-U-Mah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree.

They win a lot though and the experience at Camp Randall blows away a game at the Bank.

I'm not going to say it's impossible - but a lot of dominoes will have to fall into place. The Gophs would need to roll out four or five really good seasons in a row - 9-10 win type seasons - to elevate the national awareness of the program. That gets the team on the big national TV games, and playing in the top bowl games - which in turn attracts a better class of recruits. The real stepping stone would be playing in (ideally winning) the B1G Championship game, and making it into the national playoffs.

Having said that, I think the Gophers can be a respectable program without necessarily having top-20 recruiting classes - but they at least need to be in the 20's and 30's - not in the 40's or 50's.

But, you have to start somewhere - so Fleck needs to find a way to land at least one national recruit in the next couple of years - a big-time 4* or 5* recruit - to get the buzz started.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Big 10 Network is slanted to Michigan and Ohio State. What I think I understand from Coach Fleck is he has a checklist, culture, and contacts. The local media needs to get off their seats and know at least the local recruiting talent. We have a 4.0 student who wants to study Actuary Science. A three sport athlete who could have gone anywhere he wanted. He is a top 40 Offensive Tackle, actual number 37. The number 1 Minnesota Recruit. Problem he is from Marshall, not Minnetonka. How many of the media traveled to Marshall, met the family, talk to his coaches and teammates, got game film? I think that answer is zero. That needs to change. Local Media as a recruiting partner was a point Fleck Made. You can bet your old Gopher Jersey that if Mr. Andries had chosen a Helmet School he would instantly have been a 4 or 5 Star Recruit. This could be the second comming of Jonah Pirsig. He was from Blue Earth. s

As Fleck has made clear we must close the border, find 5-6 state recruits. The remainder from 8 hour radius. Add recruits from contacts. Get in early and he will close the deal. He said once this class was signed, they are already working on 2018 and 2019.

We spent 30 years in the dump that the Vikings built and all people did was complain about not being on campus. Now we have a great on campus stadium and some are talking about wanting to play at US Bank Stadium, what is wrong with you people

The first thing that comes to mind is the Big 10 Network is slanted to Michigan and Ohio State. What I think I understand from Coach Fleck is he has a checklist, culture, and contacts. The local media needs to get off their seats and know at least the local recruiting talent. We have a 4.0 student who wants to study Actuary Science. A three sport athlete who could have gone anywhere he wanted. He is a top 40 Offensive Tackle, actual number 37. The number 1 Minnesota Recruit. Problem he is from Marshall, not Minnetonka. How many of the media traveled to Marshall, met the family, talk to his coaches and teammates, got game film? I think that answer is zero. That needs to change. Local Media as a recruiting partner was a point Fleck Made. You can bet your old Gopher Jersey that if Mr. Andries had chosen a Helmet School he would instantly have been a 4 or 5 Star Recruit. This could be the second comming of Jonah Pirsig. He was from Blue Earth. s

As Fleck has made clear we must close the border, find 5-6 state recruits. The remainder from 8 hour radius. Add recruits from contacts. Get in early and he will close the deal. He said once this class was signed, they are already working on 2018 and 2019.

Very astute take, Husker. I think Scoggins will help
Out in this regard. The rest? Not real likely. Easier to bitch about the "issue du'jour."

How did that recruiting thing work for us in the early 1980's when we had the Metrodome? How did that recruiting work when we built the indoor practice facilities in the early 1980's? How did that recruiting thing work for us when we built TCF Stadium? The new facilities will be nice, but don't for a second think it is going to automatically bring in players that we wouldn't have gotten before the it was built. Recruiting classes in the middle of the BIG10 is about as good as we can hope for, honestly.

Top Bottom