Recruiting

Mason looked for a specific skill set in an offensive lineman that fit his program. He knew what he wanted, recruited running backs and lineman that fit, and developed his running game around that. Brewsters' recruiting is more generic. For whatever reason he is having a hard time developing the players he has. Maybe it is because of the constant changes.

What explains the lack of any defense, is it talent, coaching. They don't seem to be able to make plays on the field. Is it just lack of instinct.

The more talented a player is the more likely they are to make a play. It appears as though our defense needs more coaching to be able to make plays so the talent may not be there. Recruit rankings may have been a little too high.

I'm sorry, but if you are going to be calling Decker a Mason guy than you really can't bash Brewster at all.

My point is this...

If Mason gets the accolades for what his youngest classes have accomplished at the U (under Brewster) than he should be getting the heat for what they failed to accomplish as well.

The more talented a player is the more likely they are to make a play. It appears as though our defense needs more coaching to be able to make plays so the talent may not be there. Recruit rankings may have been a little too high.

I think you are confusing "more talented" with "better".

I'm sorry, but if you are going to be calling Decker a Mason guy than you really can't bash Brewster at all.

My point is this...

If Mason gets the accolades for what his youngest classes have accomplished at the U (under Brewster) than he should be getting the heat for what they failed to accomplish as well.

Mason recruited Decker and Brewster coached him. You and I could have coached Decker and he still would have been great. I'm not bashing Brewster (I'm usually bashed for backing Brew and Weber) I'm just stating that Mason's offensive guys were a lot better than the guys we have on offensive right now. That's a fact in my mind. Mason was completely lazy, but he somehow got really good production out of his O. His defensive teams were beyond bad-that is why is he long gone. Until Brew's recruits mature enough to change my mind I can't say he is a better recruiter. Time will tell.

Oh, to get the Weber bashers going...If Weber was the qb with Barber/Maroney/Russell/etc. the bashers would have absolutely loved him.

Technique wise a good share of these kids are using HS fundamentals where they could use their athletic ability to succeed, and now in college the tallent is more equal and they have not been coached to this level. The 2 exceptions are Davis with the O-line and rec. coach.. Both those positions are improving alot from 2 yrs. ago. The line is pretty young and the backups look talented, but at this position especially they won't blossom until at least their 3rd yr. Give the young Olson another yr. and he will be a big time prospect. There are alot of good young linemen and we need to keep coach Davis no matter who the next coach is. We need to ditch Coach Lee and Cosgrove immediately!

I'm not sure if you are talking about the receivers or the O-line/running backs? You used my quote about the receivers, but then you wrote about the line/running backs.

You simply can't complain about the O-line or running backs at all. they may have worn down, but they were on the field most of the game due to the defense. They were record setting-enough said there.

The receivers (I include Decker as a Mason guy since he recruited him) were much better under Mason. Ron Johnson-Ernie Wheelwright-Luke Leverson-Aaron Hosack-Logan Payne were all better than what we have now...not to forget Matt Spaeth and Ben Utecht. Remember as far as players go you are comparing a decade to four years. These guys ran actual routes. Besides Ernie, these guys actually caught the ball. I hope our guys (right now) finally get it, but to think they are better than the above listed is just wrong.

Running Backs/O-line:

They set records and were good players yes, but couldn't run the ball when it they really needed to in BigTen games. Mason's teams sure seem to blow huge leads, which seems hard to do when the can "pound the rock" and "control the rock" in record setting fashion. I watch a fair amount of football and have never heard a comment about an offense wearing down from time of possession, so that is a first.

Receivers:

That is a bland group of recievers. I'll include Decker as a Brewster guy since it was Brew and his staff that coached him. I'll wait for a final comparison until McKnight, Gray and Allen have finished their careers at WR (that might be the end of this season for Gray). Eric Liar is also coming on pretty strong. I am not qualified to break down route running between the two groups nor do I know if you are qualified to do such either (you may be), but it seem like quite a foolish point to make.

Running Backs/O-line:

They set records and were good players yes, but couldn't run the ball when it they really needed to in BigTen games. Mason's teams sure seem to blow huge leads, which seems hard to do when the can "pound the rock" and "control the rock" in record setting fashion. I watch a fair amount of football and have never heard a comment about an offense wearing down from time of possession, so that is a first.

Receivers:

That is a bland group of recievers. I'll include Decker as a Brewster guy since it was Brew and his staff that coached him. I'll wait for a final comparison until McKnight, Gray and Allen have finished their careers at WR (that might be the end of this season for Gray). Eric Liar is also coming on pretty strong. I am not qualified to break down route running between the two groups nor do I know if you are qualified to do such either (you may be), but it seem like quite a foolish point to make.

Really? You think the running game should just keep on picking up speed as the game goes on? They should just continue to go full steam ahead even though everyone knew they were going to keep running? Listen, if the Barber/Maroney years still weren't enough for you, nothing will please you.

Receivers:
If you haven't noticed more drops and more wrong-way routes this year over any other year in the last twenty plus, you haven't really been paying attention. Don't believe me, listen to the coaches-they talk about that as priority #1 every week. During Mason's tenure it was all about better blocking.

I already wrote this in a previous post that time will tell on this year's group. Right now-they don't compare.

So, back to the bland comment...Ron Johnson was bland? Spaeth and Utecht were bland? Wow. I suppose you didn't think much of Tutu Atwell or Ryan Thelwell either?

Really? You think the running game should just keep on picking up speed as the game goes on? They should just continue to go full steam ahead even though everyone knew they were going to keep running? Listen, if the Barber/Maroney years still weren't enough for you, nothing will please you.

Receivers:
If you haven't noticed more drops and more wrong-way routes this year over any other year in the last twenty plus, you haven't really been paying attention. Don't believe me, listen to the coaches-they talk about that as priority #1 every week. During Mason's tenure it was all about better blocking.

I already wrote this in a previous post that time will tell on this year's group. Right now-they don't compare.

So, back to the bland comment...Ron Johnson was bland? Spaeth and Utecht were bland? Wow. I suppose you didn't think much of Tutu Atwell or Ryan Thelwell either?

I was very pleased with the running backs and general offense that was under Mase. My point simply is that you are over exaggerating how "great" they were. Yes I do think the running game should pick up speed as a game goes on. Look at Wisconsin and how they wear out teams defensively. They could have ran the ball all day Saturday, same with Michigan State. They tire out less compared to the defense they face. If the receivers were so good, they failed to take the pressure of the running game in those fourth quarters when the box was presumably stuffed. Your also comparing mistakes by young receivers to players who probably also made mistakes when they were young, but had good seasons as experienced players. My point is that once these current players finish their collegiate careers is when we should do a comparison. If they don't compare because of the apples to oranges why did you make the comparison? During Mase's tenure it was about better blocking because that was the #1 skill they needed. Running was first passing was second.

Mason recruited Decker and Brewster coached him. You and I could have coached Decker and he still would have been great. I'm not bashing Brewster (I'm usually bashed for backing Brew and Weber) I'm just stating that Mason's offensive guys were a lot better than the guys we have on offensive right now. That's a fact in my mind. Mason was completely lazy, but he somehow got really good production out of his O. His defensive teams were beyond bad-that is why is he long gone. Until Brew's recruits mature enough to change my mind I can't say he is a better recruiter. Time will tell.

Oh, to get the Weber bashers going...If Weber was the qb with Barber/Maroney/Russell/etc. the bashers would have absolutely loved him.

I have a hard time just saying that Decker would have been great no matter who coached him. If that is the case, how can you not make that same case for Maroney or Barber?

I will say this, overall, our offense was better under Mason.

I do think our WRs are better now than on a typical Mason year. Our offense hasn't been terrible this season. We are going to have three receivers (Lair, Gray, McKnight) who will put up good numbers and I think are better than the typical Mason WRs.

I was very pleased with the running backs and general offense that was under Mase. My point simply is that you are over exaggerating how "great" they were. Yes I do think the running game should pick up speed as a game goes on. Look at Wisconsin and how they wear out teams defensively. They could have ran the ball all day Saturday, same with Michigan State. They tire out less compared to the defense they face. If the receivers were so good, they failed to take the pressure of the running game in those fourth quarters when the box was presumably stuffed. Your also comparing mistakes by young receivers to players who probably also made mistakes when they were young, but had good seasons as experienced players. My point is that once these current players finish their collegiate careers is when we should do a comparison. If they don't compare because of the apples to oranges why did you make the comparison? During Mase's tenure it was about better blocking because that was the #1 skill they needed. Running was first passing was second.

We obvioulsy aren't going to get anywhere with this, and it really doesn't matter anyway's but...

The Wisc. (or any other team) comparison isn't fair because they were running against the Gophers defense. A lot easier to do that against us sadly.

The box wasn't presumably stuffed-it was. Another reason I wondered about Mase at the time. I would have loved more passing on those situations.

We obvioulsy aren't going to get anywhere with this, and it really doesn't matter anyway's but...

The Wisc. (or any other team) comparison isn't fair because they were running against the Gophers defense. A lot easier to do that against us sadly.

The box wasn't presumably stuffed-it was. Another reason I wondered about Mase at the time. I would have loved more passing on those situations.

I was only comparing WI to the gophers, I was also comparing MSU to MI. I could also add MSU against WI to weeks ago. The point is that Dominant Running Attacks don't slow down as the game goes on, they improve. Look at Alabama for example.

I have a hard time just saying that Decker would have been great no matter who coached him. If that is the case, how can you not make that same case for Maroney or Barber?

I will say this, overall, our offense was better under Mason.

I do think our WRs are better now than on a typical Mason year. Our offense hasn't been terrible this season. We are going to have three receivers (Lair, Gray, McKnight) who will put up good numbers and I think are better than the typical Mason WRs.

McKnight = Wheelwright. Really similar players imo. I think Ernie was hurt by the running game and then having a guy like Decker (Weber only had eyes for him). McKnight is still learning so he will have every chance to be better. Both drop/dropped too many balls.

Gray > anyone not named Ron Johnson. Ron Johnson was the best receiver ever to play for us. Decker might have gotten there if not for injuries, but injuries count. The great thing about Gray is that he is doing it without knowing how to do it. We don't even know if he will be doing it next year?

Lair < Utecht or Spaeth. I highly doubt this will change. Both guys were awesome TE's on running teams. Lair has the goods though. I didn't think much of him last year. He'd come in and screw-up and then not see the field again. Much different player this year, and we know Brew loves using the TE's.

The rest? Maybe Green when he comes back or Allen, but I really worry about the next level of guys.

Lair and McKnight are guys who should have red-shirted. It will be interesting to see if they get a shot in the pros. Lair has looked good this year, but was clearly in the clouds as a freshman (which is understandable). McKnight is just a stellar athlete who has a very high ceiling.

Does anyone have any insight into the decision not to red-shirt Liar and McKnight? Were they needed to take on the field snaps because other players were red-shirted? As nice as it would have been to have these players red-shirted it seems the Brewster has been good about red-shirting young players who will not see playing time. If I am projecting Brew's practice with the offensive and defensive lines to the more skill positions let me know.

My insight is that (and I'm not blaming Mason here) because Mason wasn't a wash-out, Brewster felt some pressure as a coach to get back to .500 (or thereabouts) sooner than someone walking into a complete program re-build (like Alvarez and Ferentz). Because of that, he threw his best athletes out on the field as soon as they got here whether or not they were ready and/or could realistically contribute.

It wasn't really possible because of the shape of the program when Brewster took over but we have a slew of guys who should have been RS. Cooper, Tinsley, Kirksey, McKnight, Lair, B. Green and even Stoudamire should all be RS-So's right now. That really does impact the overall program. I'm not really blaming Mason either. It was a product of a bunch of variables (the Daniels incident, timing of the Mason fire, and the lack of depth overall).

Top Bottom