Recruiting Wish List at TDG

John Galt

Reaction score
Good article at TDG regarding the priority of the remaining recruits: http://www.thedailygopher.com/2013/...-recruiting-snapshot-wish-list-with-remaining

They have in order:
1. Frank Ragnow
2. Craig James
3. Melvin Holland
4. Tegray Scales
5. Patrick Porter
6. Rodney Smith
7. Greg Howell
8. Martavius Mims
9. Deron Thompson
10. Josh Black

I don't think Howell belongs on the list, I'd replace him with Demetrius Kemp who could be a safety or WR. Dorian Baker would be in the top 5 if there is a chance we could flip him. Rashad Canty and Cortez Lewis might be #9/#10. I'm not sure how Thompson would fit in, seems like he is similar to Berkley Edwards but not as good. Black is also somewhat of a head scratcher. We just red-shirted 3 LBs, and already have 2 in this class (Poock, Williams) and potentially a 3rd (Gibson).

Jeff Jones should be #1 since he is anything but a lock right now.

A few head-scratchers on there but I think it's somewhat accurate. I don't think we're recruiting Howell anymore. I believe Mims is more of a priority at CB than Porter but maybe not. Isaiah Gentry (WR) belongs on the list IMO.

As Madtown said, keeping Jeff Jones solid is 1a. and Ragnow is 1b. Melvin Holland is the clear-cut #2 IMO.

Would love them all. LOL.

I really like the James kid and hope we land him. Need those athletic CBs in this defense.

Good article at TDG regarding the priority of the remaining recruits: http://www.thedailygopher.com/2013/...-recruiting-snapshot-wish-list-with-remaining

They have in order:
1. Frank Ragnow
2. Craig James
3. Melvin Holland
4. Tegray Scales
5. Patrick Porter
6. Rodney Smith
7. Greg Howell
8. Martavius Mims
9. Deron Thompson
10. Josh Black

I don't think Howell belongs on the list, I'd replace him with Demetrius Kemp who could be a safety or WR. Dorian Baker would be in the top 5 if there is a chance we could flip him. Rashad Canty and Cortez Lewis might be #9/#10. I'm not sure how Thompson would fit in, seems like he is similar to Berkley Edwards but not as good. Black is also somewhat of a head scratcher. We just red-shirted 3 LBs, and already have 2 in this class (Poock, Williams) and potentially a 3rd (Gibson).
Good pickup JG . Agree with you . I have a sneaky suspicion that if there is a top shelf JC QB out there they might bring him in . It would have to be a kid they felt is head and shoulders above what we have and be available for Spring practice. This might be trying to find a needle in a haystack, but who knows.

I'm already looking forward to next year's class. Could we finally have a chance to get a 5 star guy in here with Jashon Coornell?

Good pickup JG . Agree with you . I have a sneaky suspicion that if there is a top shelf JC QB out there they might bring him in . It would have to be a kid they felt is head and shoulders above what we have and be available for Spring practice. This might be trying to find a needle in a haystack, but who knows.

I think there is close to zero chance we bring in a junior college QB at this point. They wouldn't even be on campus until the summer. So unless there is a hidden Russell Wilson out there, it's doubtful they would have any type of impact. Nelson and Leidner will have been in our program for over 2.5 years come next season, and both have significant game experience now. We need them to improve, just like Ra'Shede did. Just like Cobb did. And many others. That's our best option at QB.

I think there is close to zero chance we bring in a junior college QB at this point. They wouldn't even be on campus until the summer. So unless there is a hidden Russell Wilson out there, it's doubtful they would have any type of impact. Nelson and Leidner will have been in our program for over 2.5 years come next season, and both have significant game experience now. We need them to improve, just like Ra'Shede did. Just like Cobb did. And many others. That's our best option at QB.
Maybe one in a million? Exactly a Wilson type of situation that is why the needle in a haystack reference.

Is anyone aware of a QB that is a graduate that is looking for a Russel Wilson like move? Was the rumblings about a Utah State guy for basketball or football?

AndMankato west 4 star QB Ryan schichte

4-star Eric Schmidt, an OT from Sioux Falls, has visited multiple times already and said we are his leader. Could be one of the first to commit for 2015.

As Madtown said, keeping Jeff Jones solid is 1a. and Ragnow is 1b. Melvin Holland is the clear-cut #2 IMO.

I could not possibly agree with this statement more.

I've heard the TDG guys and the Rivals guys say that all this hand wringing over Jeff Jones is not necessary and that he will be a Gopher, so take that for what it's worth.

4-star Eric Schmidt, an OT from Sioux Falls, has visited multiple times already and said we are his leader. Could be one of the first to commit for 2015.

Is he one of the 2 brothers from Iowa that are 4 stars that are O linemen, or he is he aanother guy, if so even better

I've heard the TDG guys and the Rivals guys say that all this hand wringing over Jeff Jones is not necessary and that he will be a Gopher, so take that for what it's worth.

The GI guys say the same. I think he may be hoping for what he considers a better offer, but with what he has now he likes MN best. That is only speculation with the data available to me. I hope he doesn't get a FL offer.

His name is Grant Schmidt, not Eric, and he has given a lot of lip service to the Gophers, but I'll be surprised if he ends up playing here.

His name is Grant Schmidt, not Eric, and he has given a lot of lip service to the Gophers, but I'll be surprised if he ends up playing here.

Why? He's said Minnesota is his top choice right now.

The real upgrade in recruiting will come in 2015 per Jerry Kill's earlier radio talk. The 8-4 finish does not affect this year's recruit as much as the 2015.

They have in order:
1. Frank Ragnow
2. Craig James
3. Melvin Holland
4. Tegray Scales
5. Patrick Porter
6. Rodney Smith
7. Greg Howell
8. Martavius Mims
9. Deron Thompson
10. Josh Black

The only reason to read TDG is MV's pieces. The rest of those guys have no better insight than the average poster here on GH. Porter? Howell? Thompson? Maybe his insight is actually worse than the average poster here on GH?

100%. This talk of Streveler starting is silly. The talk of a Juco QB is not well thought as you point out because they wouldn't even be on campus until Summer. Plus, KillCo like Juco's with 3 years of eligibility and the QB position usually need time to learn the playbook, system, personnel, etc. Nelson is #1A, Leidner is #1B. They both become upperclassmen next year & will need to step up.

They insist that it's the most overblown recruiting story of the year. Jones said when he "committed" last February that he would still take visits, and he's doing just that.

Why would a kid from South Dakota who already has offers from Washington St. and UNC, and interest from multiple B1G teams, feel the need to give us lip service and say we are his leader? He camped with us last summer and came up with his family in the fall for a weekend visit. That's more than passing interest.

Why would a kid from South Dakota who already has offers from Washington St. and UNC, and interest from multiple B1G teams, feel the need to give us lip service and say we are his leader? He camped with us last summer and came up with his family in the fall for a weekend visit. That's more than passing interest.

If he isn't saying much about Nebraska or Iowa I'd think we'd be in the lead.

I never said it was passing interest. Of course we're his leader right now, because we're the only decent offer that isn't thousands of miles away. We'll see if he's still speaking so highly of the Gophers if and when offers come his way from Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa St., Missouri, etc. Speaking as a native South Dakotan, most who grow up in that corner of the state are diehard Husker fans. I have no idea whether he/his family is/are, but they most likely are. I'm not saying that we can't or won't sign him, I'm just saying I'll be surprised if we do.

If he isn't saying much about Nebraska or Iowa I'd think we'd be in the lead.

He hasn't been offered by either.

Would the gophers take all 3 of Mimms, James, and Porter? Not a lot of depth at CB. Hopefully Boddy-Calhoun recovers well.

Top Bottom