Recruiting Services - Team Rankings (National and B1G)

MNGoldenGophers1

Go4 Homer
Reaction score
Is there a comprehensive list of how all the different recruiting services rated this year's recruiting class? Thanks.

Last in the Big Ten by both Rivals and Scout. 24/7 ranks the Gophers 8th in the Big Ten. All 3 sites agree on the Gophers recruits having the lowest average ranking in the Big Ten.

Let the great science experiment begin!

Hypothesis 1: If Rivals doesn't give your class high star rankings, you won't be successful
Hypothesis 2: The Gopher coaches know best, and as long as they get the right players in their system, they will be successful

Time will tell which is right, then the argument can finally die....

Not surprising that we rank near the bottom of the B1G. We are in the same conference as three of the most storied programs in NCAA history (Michigan, OSU, Nebraska), as well as other programs that have had much more recent success than the Gophers (Wisconsin, Michigan Sate, Penn State). I'd be surprised if we can compete for the top recruits against those programs. Thats what makes "closing up the border" so important. We will likely lose out on most of the top national recruits, so we cannot afford to let our rivals steal our own as well.

This recruiting class may not be up there at the end of Kill's tenure as one of his highest-rated recruiting classes. However, I believe it may be his most important as it sets the table for future recruiting classes, knowing that we can close up the border. As long as that continues, and we can steal a few recruits from other programs, I'm not upset with being rated near the bottom of the B1G recruiting classes.

Let the great science experiment begin!

Hypothesis 1: If Rivals doesn't give your class high star rankings, you won't be successful
Hypothesis 2: The Gopher coaches know best, and as long as they get the right players in their system, they will be successful

Time will tell which is right, then the argument can finally die....

Hypotheisis #2 has been done at Minnesota before for many years with less than stellar results. We can hope that a different coaching staff attempting that same hypothesis will be more successful.

Then again, what defines low star rankings and what is the definition of successful? Won't be resolved until those are clearly defined and accepted. Otherwise the arguement will continue with the assymetrically challenged.

As far as the class goes, it looks like it can be a class that matures with age and is on par with other programs as they can be coached up. It looks like we have 8 - 10 guys who can start in a year or two and 4 or 5 that can compete right away as an improvement over what has been here. If I am right, I would like this type of class repeated for the next few years where we can improve in 4 -5 positions each and every year and have a solid core ready to fill in as necessary.

This recruiting class may not be up there at the end of Kill's tenure as one of his highest-rated recruiting classes. However, I believe it may be his most important as it sets the table for future recruiting classes, knowing that we can close up the border. As long as that continues, and we can steal a few recruits from other programs, I'm not upset with being rated near the bottom of the B1G recruiting classes.

The closing the boarders part is huge. This was definitely a step in the right direction but will need to see a few years in a row of the top talent in state staying home before I will agree the boarders are closed. This was a deep class for the state of Minnesota but it was not a year with a lot of really highly rated talent. When Kill is able to start keeping the Floyd's and Henderson's of the world home then we will officially be able to say the boarders are closed.

As I have said before, this is a big deep class that fills some holes and adds depth. It is also really light on the guys that look on paper to be game changing type of athletes. Hopefully a few develop and the guys that do appear to have the higher upsides live up to they hype.

Top Bottom