Recruiting rule change to allow more signers due to players leaving

Well-run programs will select exactly 7 players to enter the transfer portal every year.

I expect double digit % of exiting fb athletes. It is the new way

Seems fair to me.

As was pointed out by other posters, this also opens the door for more PWO's to be upgraded to scholarships.

Indeed, this is just talking about new first-time counters for an upcoming season, which a PWO would be when upgraded to a scholly. It's not limited to new transfers coming in from the portal.

So you're saying that a player who won't ever see the field and possibly might get demoted to scout team .... will stay here just to spite Fleck?
In a binary world that might be a true statement. But as you've said, it's not. Or is it today? Impossible to tell with your constant flip-flopping.

My dyslexia is working overtime. Couldn't under stand why we wanted more singers.

So you're saying that a player who won't ever see the field and possibly might get demoted to scout team .... will stay here just to spite Fleck?
So your saying a player getting a full ride will enter the transfer portal, risking tens of thousands of dollars, because his coach tells him to?

So your saying a player getting a full ride will enter the transfer portal, risking tens of thousands of dollars, because his coach tells him to?
I'm saying that if they enter the transfer portal, it's because they decided they want to leave.

Happens every year on pretty much every team.

I highly doubt there are any cases where the player didn't want to leave, at all, and the coach *forced* it to happen. That seems to be what is implied here by some, but if I'm wrong about that then I'm wrong.

Every player who enters the portal, at least, has some non-zero percentage of wanting to leave their current situation on that team.

To my gut feeling, granted having 0.0 inside info (take what you will from supposed expose pieces on blogs), Fleck seems like a kind of guy who would tell a player at worst "look if you want to stay here and stay on the team, you won't get any playing time and you won't be further developed by our coaching staff, but that is your decision and we'll honor your scholarship ... just know you're hurting your teammates by taking that scholarship away from us by choosing to not transfer or medically retire."

If anything, the medical retirement route seems like a great gig for guys who don't want to leave the U but won't have a chance to contribute on the field. But my wild guess is that most players would rather try to find another opportunity to play somewhere else.

Sounds like the NCAA. Change a rule that transfers have to sit out a year, then finds a flood of transfers that causes roster issues so they decide to change a recruiting rule to deal with the roster issues rather than just go back to the original transfer rule. The ripple effect will probably continue, with another rule change coming soon to deal with issues related to recruiting bigger classes.

Top Bottom