recruiting question

DuluthGopher

Reaction score
I am more curious to what you guys think of this. Not saying it really matters all that much, but what do you think the reason is we haven't had as much luck with California/West Coast kids as we have of Florida & Texas kids. Do you think we just don't focus as much on the West Coast or do you think it just happens to be like that or what. I know we have gotten a few kids from out there, but it doesn't seem like we even get that much interest from those kids, and we don't seem to offer as much either. Maybe it's just me, and we have got more kids than i thought we have. I almost feel like we don't have a guy from that area on our coaching staff which is hurting us recruit those kids. I don't know, I really have no idea, just curious to what you all thought.

Talent is deeper on the east coast. Texas and Florida both produce massive amounts of D1 talent, add in all the other states in the south that add quality to that pool, and you essentially have all of that going against California. In California we also have to compete with all of the PAC-10 schools. It just seems recruiting is easier from the east coast because there is vastly more talent

There's probably numerous reasons Brew doesn't recruit the West Coast.

First off, both Texas and Florida produce, roughly, 100 more D-1 recruits a year than California. Florida and California also have plentiful surrounding areas whereas California has nothing around it (from a recruiting standpoint).

Secondly, Brew spent time at both North Carolina and Texas primarily as a recruiter. I'm sure he has some pretty strong ties to the High School coaches of those areas. Sell what you know to who you know.

i think it's just a matter of practicality and resources. If you recruit from everywhere, are you really recruiting from anywhere? Most of the staff specializes in certain areas as well as positions. Which does lead to the question, who has the west coast?

Top Bottom