Recruiting puzzling?

in the last 4 games Dre is 9-15 from 3 point land which is 60% and 41.5% on the year. I think this team is finding itself slowly but surely. It's just a matter of winning enough games to get into the NCAA tournament. Again, you have no shooters ;-)

If you guys get Trevor for year 6, a healthy MO and Rodney comes back. That's possibly the best front court in the Big 10. Now if Rodney leaves, trevor deosn't come back for a 6th year you're less threatening but Big Mo is a great talent. He's a Draymond Green type of player which is why Tubby recruited him. He's a great passer, shooter, and a huge inside prescence. He'll draw double teams and be able to kick out to the "non shooters" you have in Andre, Julian, Austin, Chip etc..

I really don't know what's wrong with some of you people. You have got a really good future with this roster and you won't suffer from ncaa sanctions because of it.

shooters are too easy to guard if that's all they can do. Yeah they are nice to have but they can't play 25+ minutes a game. Cameron Mills at Kentucky was one of the best shooters on the planet. He didn't play much though because he couldn't guard anyone and you'd have to make the rest of your team work really hard to get him shots, it's not something you can afford to do a lot. But when Duke had a lead on UK in the Elite 8, Tubby put him in the game and ran some plays for him and gained some momentum. It led to a national title.

As for Tubby's recruiting at Minnesota. I think it's been better than you've ever had. He's had some bad luck but he's had little trouble getting Big 10 caliber players to come there. I think most of you would at least have to acknowledge that. Right now you have 6 top 150 players on your roster. Dre Hollins, Coleman, Williams, Sampson, Mbakwe and Big Mo. Austin was very close to being one of those as well. If luck had worked out it would be 8 with Devoe and Royce. It's bad luck Trevor and Mo are injured but if those 2 were healthy you'd be very very difficult to beat. When was the last time Minnesota had 6 top 150 players on it's roster?.. I'll tell you when... NEVER!!

The arrow is pointing up IMO, just give it some time. If they make the NCAA this year you have to tip your hat to Tubby no less say it's nearly a miracle. So let's wait a month before we pass judgement?
Dutcher and Haskins both recruited better players.I'll take Willie Burton and Melvin Newbern over anyone one this team.Ditto for Bobby Jackson,Quincy Lewis,Sam Jacobson,Joel Prybilla and a host of others.Even Monson recruit Vince Greer not to mention Humphries and Rickert who fell into our laps.Tubby has recruited guys who have done very little.Certainly no stars.He may have had one in Trevor but he wasn't even a national recruit.You look at Joe Coleman and Rodney.Where else they visit?Santa Clara.

Dutcher and Haskins both recruited better players.I'll take Willie Burton and Melvin Newbern over anyone one this team.Ditto for Bobby Jackson,Quincy Lewis,Sam Jacobson,Joel Prybilla and a host of others.Even Monson recruit Vince Greer not to mention Humphries and Rickert who fell into our laps.Tubby has recruited guys who have done very little.Certainly no stars.He may have had one in Trevor but he wasn't even a national recruit.You look at Joe Coleman and Rodney.Where else they visit?Santa Clara.

Are you a complete retard? Williams, Dre, Mbakwe, Walker, Sampson, Coleman, Devoe, Royce all had major, major D1 offers. Take 5 minutes to look at scout or rivals before saying such retarded *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#

Scout?So how many of these guys are stars or here?I stand by Clem and Dutcher getting better players.Who offered Joe Coleman in the Big Ten?I like him and he will be a good player but highly recruited.I follow this closely and know about as much about recruits as most fans.I also try to be realistic and see no all Big Ten types.Two of Tubby's best players here have been Nolan and Blake.No I'm not mentally challenged.Just a good fan who would like to see us do well.

Scout?So how many of these guys are stars or here?I stand by Clem and Dutcher getting better players.Who offered Joe Coleman in the Big Ten?I like him and he will be a good player but highly recruited.I follow this closely and know about as much about recruits as most fans.I also try to be realistic and see no all Big Ten types.Two of Tubby's best players here have been Nolan and Blake.No I'm not mentally challenged.Just a good fan who would like to see us do well.

Royce and Trevor were/are both better players than Hoff and Nolen. One assaulted a security guard (Tubby's fault?) another tore his ACL (Tubby's fault?)

I don't think people realize how much easier it is to be good at basketball though when you don't have school work or class to do. I thought Clem was a great basketball coach, loved his personality and how hard he worked and I truly think he is a great guy who made some mistakes. All that said, the fact of the matter is, whether you want to admit it or not, he cheated. His cheating DID effect what happened on the court. That is why it was vacated. He cheated just like Cal cheated/cheats. You have no way of knowing how good those guys he recruited would/wouldn't be had they been forced to go to class and do homework and you have no idea how good Tubby's guys would/wouldn't be had they not had to go to class or do homework. That is why it is vacated and is like it never happened.

Our basketball program is now on the same level as our footballs?I agree,I hope we haven't fallen that much in basketball.Losing to Iowa twice maybe were getting to that point.Of course Doggie doesn't count Iowa .Which makes it even more alarming.lol

we won 2 games in conf for football and were never competitive. bball we are a middle of the road team that has been in every game except purdue...i dont get where you are getting your comparison?

I was being sarcastic.I just hope it isn't going in that direction.

Royce and Trevor were/are both better players than Hoff and Nolen. One assaulted a security guard (Tubby's fault?) another tore his ACL (Tubby's fault?)

I don't think people realize how much easier it is to be good at basketball though when you don't have school work or class to do. I thought Clem was a great basketball coach, loved his personality and how hard he worked and I truly think he is a great guy who made some mistakes. All that said, the fact of the matter is, whether you want to admit it or not, he cheated. His cheating DID effect what happened on the court. That is why it was vacated. He cheated just like Cal cheated/cheats. You have no way of knowing how good those guys he recruited would/wouldn't be had they been forced to go to class and do homework and you have no idea how good Tubby's guys would/wouldn't be had they not had to go to class or do homework. That is why it is vacated and is like it never happened.
Point taken,Clem did cheat.I sometimes forget those good teams never happened.

We will never win the Big Ten with him as coach. Old and inflexible.

Point taken,Clem did cheat.I sometimes forget those good teams never happened.

You lose a lot of credibility in your arguments when you consistently don’t use spaces after punctuation marks. Just sayin'.

As for this whole "sharp-shooter" debate, I think you are a year late on it. Austin, Chip, Oto, Julian all seem to be adaquete shooters, and Dre has shown potential to be a sharp-shooter type. The type of recruit you seem to be looking for is the white guy that runs around screens, catches, and shoots... and thats it. He doesn't defend well, he doesn't rebound well, pass well, or create shots for others. That type of player has a place on some teams but not in Tubby's system.

Tubby recruited well in his first couple of years, but that only lasts so long. His last couple of classes are not good. The name Tubby is losing its appeal. Too many transfers and too many 2nd class recruits like Ingram, Mav, etc. Never recruiting a pg. Other than Cobbs who hated the offense. Next years class is ho hum. Tubby has never been known as a good recruiter. It ain't going to get better here.

You lose a lot of credibility in your arguments when you consistently don’t use spaces after punctuation marks. Just sayin'.

As for this whole "sharp-shooter" debate, I think you are a year late on it. Austin, Chip, Oto, Julian all seem to be adaquete shooters, and Dre has shown potential to be a sharp-shooter type. The type of recruit you seem to be looking for is the white guy that runs around screens, catches, and shoots... and thats it. He doesn't defend well, he doesn't rebound well, pass well, or create shots for others. That type of player has a place on some teams but not in Tubby's system.
I would like to see ball handlers who can shoot. Black or white I could care less. Bringing up race seems to tell everyone what we need to know about your credibility.

Are you a complete retard? Williams, Dre, Mbakwe, Walker, Sampson, Coleman, Devoe, Royce all had major, major D1 offers. Take 5 minutes to look at scout or rivals before saying such retarded *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#

Agreed. Even Oto had an offer from Florida.

I would like to see ball handlers who can shoot. Black or white I could care less. Bringing up race seems to tell everyone what we need to know about your credibility.

Great spacing. Thanks.

According to who? Whatever, he probably enjoys the Minnesota weather. Duke wanted Maverik according to his family. lol

Do your parents know you are using their computer? Why not come back when you are old enough to shave?

Its kinda funny that we're talking about not having shooters in a year in which we're near the top in the conference in overall shooting percentage and 3-point shooting percentage. Most of our 3-point shooters are young and will be around for a few more years.

Our biggest problems this year in my opinion is turnovers and rebounding.

I don't really feel like Buggs/Ellenson was the greatest use of scholarships given the Gophers needs. That said, both had solid to impressive offers and it's better to take talent than go to far down the list to just fill a need. I think there's a lot of overkill in Rodney/Austin/Joe/Wally in that all four are athletic players who's frame suggests they should be a 2/3 and yet none of them are very good handling the ball and all have work to do on their outside shot. You could even add Chip in to that group as well, though he's better able to attack the basket off the dribble. I do think that having so many guys who can run/jump opens up some very intersting possibilities for the Gophers, but we haven't really seen them find away to use that athleticism to thier advantage to this point in Tubby's tenure.

As for Buggs, their is the outside chance that we will need him to start at the 4 as a freshman (playing the 4 like Damian did). The only thing to go by on the kid is that his jumper looks a lot smoother than Damian's did coming out of high school, but the rumored lack of production at his prep school is at least somewhat concerning.

I could be wrong, but I think most fans would have preferred to see the Gophers address two of the following three needs with their available scholarships

1. Quick point point guard who can get in the lane and form an athletic backcourt with Andre Hollins
2. Power forward type in the Mbawke mold to replace Trevor
3. Shooter/scorer with the ideal being a legit go to guy (obviously tough to find and tougher to land)

The Gophers were really, really late on the 2012 class, but still came up with a couple kids with good offers. If you look at the kids Tubby's brough in during the Fall signing period, it's tough to find a kid you wouldn't describe as at least a solid Big Ten player. Unfortunately, there are a few too many Spring recruits on the roster right now.

This is your argument? You want to compare basketball and football at the U? Here is the difference. If you signed every Minnesota kid in football and had to play with MN's only, you would be last in the Big Ten. In basketball, you would have a starting lineup up, Wolters, Mbakwe, Lockett, Royce, and Rodney. This lineup could contend in the Big Ten. MN is a basketball school much more than a football school. Just like most metro universities.

I don't disagree, but why is that true?

We will never win the Big Ten with him as coach. Old and inflexible.

Old and inflexible? Others might describe the same man as "experienced and disciplined." I've watched complaints about Smith here starting about two years ago and have never commented on him that I can recall. I wouldn't blame the disappointing results of last year and this on Smith but I do blame the uncertain, timid, ineffective half-court offense on him. I watched bits of the NW v Purdue game today and wished our Gophers would pass as effectively as those two teams do.

I don't really feel like Buggs/Ellenson was the greatest use of scholarships given the Gophers needs. think there's a lot of overkill in Rodney/Austin/Joe/Wally in that all four are athletic players who's frame suggests they should be a 2/3 and yet none of them are very good handling the ball and all have work to do on their outside shot.
As for Buggs, their is the outside chance that we will need him to start at the 4 as a freshman (playing the 4 like Damian did). I could be wrong, but I think most fans would have preferred to see the Gophers address two of the following three needs with their available scholarships

1. Quick point point guard who can get in the lane and form an athletic backcourt with Andre Hollins
2. Power forward type in the Mbawke mold to replace Trevor
3. Shooter/scorer with the ideal being a legit go to guy (obviously tough to find and tougher to land)

I agree on the wing players. All athletic but non of them are really good ball handlers.. lots of redundacy there. Isn't Buggs 190 lbs? Starting him at the 4 as a freshmen and we will be having a tough season.
1. totally agree that dre could be a bobby jackson type player at the 2, if we found an eric harris at the 1.
2. Definitely need some muscle at pf, if Trevor is gone.
3. I'd love this but unless it's a minnesota kid, like Rashad Vaughn, we probably wont get them.

Andre hollins was the highest rated out of state highschool player signed by tubby here

He wasn't that highly rated when he committed though, I'm not sure he was even a top 150 recruit at that point, by the time he signed he was very highly rated though.

He wasn't that highly rated when he committed though, I'm not sure he was even a top 150 recruit at that point, by the time he signed he was very highly rated though.

So doesn't that mean that Andre was identified early by the coaching staff? That seems to go against a lot of these posts. Tubby seems to know what he wants in a player, regardless of who else has offerred them. Of course, I'd prefer to see him get a kid that was offerred by numerous major conference schools. But if Tubby can get they type of guys that he wants, he better be able to develop them. He keeps talking about getting guys for his "system." Unfortunately, I don't think we've even seen a good example of that system.

I agree on the wing players. All athletic but non of them are really good ball handlers.. lots of redundacy there. Isn't Buggs 190 lbs? Starting him at the 4 as a freshmen and we will be having a tough season.
Why does Buggs need to be a starter right away? If Rodney stays we will have Rodney and Oto at the 4, with Ingram as well.

buggs and otto

Why does Buggs need to be a starter right away? If Rodney stays we will have Rodney and Oto at the 4, with Ingram as well.

I was responding to the earlier post. Unless a freshmen is very talented and physically ready I don't think they will start. Buggs has some potential but he probably wont see tons of minutes right away. If Rodney leaves, I believe Otto would be a much better option at the 4. He was a very good shooter in Howard Pulley and was known as one in europe. With a little confidence and an offseason weight program he could become a solid starter.

I think Rodney will return as his numbers have been going down and he really needs to get back to rebounding like he was a few games ago.

Top Bottom