rECRUITING etc.

bailee88

Reaction score
All you people complaining about the ratings of our commits just keep in mind Eric Decker was a 6’3” 185 lb two star player that chose between us and St Johns. He turned out ok so maybe we should just trust the people that do this for a living. Coaches must win to keep their jobs and they certainly are not going to bring in guys that will contribute to their firing.

Fans that sell their tickets, even if they pay for their entire season, should really re-consider what they are doing. It works against us in so many ways. It gives our rival a competitive advantage on game days. it is used against us when slotting for bowl games. Teams that we have finished ahead of in the standing leapfrog us in the bowl selection process because their fans travel better than gopher fans. It also gives our rival fans fodder for message boards and bragging rights.

I was told that the exception proves the rule. Do you think Decker is an exception to the rule, or the rule?

The entire premise of this thread is so ill-founded and horribly misguided that I don't even know where to begin.

RESPONSE

explain how the post is ill-founded and horribly misguided. then hopefully with your support and guidance I can write a post in the future that meets with your approval.

Recruiting

Decker is clearly the exception to the rule because as a rule most 2 star recruits do not turn out as good as he is. All I am saying is that coaches can see things in recruits that the casual fans may not see. Potential, as in a diamond in the rough.

explain how the post is ill-founded and horribly misguided. then hopefully with your support and guidance I can write a post in the future that meets with your approval.

There are many more than this, but here are a few for starters:

1. Your point about "Coaches must win to keep their jobs and they certainly are not going to bring in guys that will contribute to their firing" rests on the entire assumption that coaches are infallible. Obviously, they are not. They are human and have their faults like the rest of us. They can and do get fired. Often. Obviously they are not going to purposely bring in "bad" recruits, but they are prone to over- or underrating prospects based on their own information and conceptions. Again, humans. Flawed.

2. In the same vein as #1, coaches will sometimes settle for recruits they can get, rather than the ones they really want. Of course, none will ever admit it, and will always say, "We really wanted this guy," but logic dictates that everyone wants the surefire, blue chip, top 100 recruit, but each guy can only sign with one school. The coach is held accountable for that player's performance either way, but it is fallacious to say, "So-and-so is not worthy of a scholarship, and I can't believe we gave him one," or "How did 'Prestigious School X' miss out on this guy?" because the whole system is a crapshoot. Once again, humans. Flawed. Prone to mistakes.

3. You bring up one player who fell through the cracks and say, "If he can do it, anybody can." Well, no, actually, they can't. Sure, some may, but the vast majority won't. For every 2-star, walk-on, etc.-type player that becomes an All-America, moves onto the NFL, gets voted into the Hall of Fame, etc. there are thousands who are lucky to even see the field on a regular basis. Like monk said, he is the exception that proves the rule. He is not the rule.

And that's just a dissection of the first paragraph. Your second paragraph seems to be thrown in there rather haphazardly with absolutely zero relation to the first one. Maybe start a second thread? I don't know, but the fact remains that your post was rather bizarre and thus I felt the need to comment.

All you people complaining about the ratings of our commits just keep in mind Eric Decker was a 6’3” 185 lb two star player that chose between us and St Johns. He turned out ok so maybe we should just trust the people that do this for a living. Coaches must win to keep their jobs and they certainly are not going to bring in guys that will contribute to their firing.

Fans that sell their tickets, even if they pay for their entire season, should really re-consider what they are doing. It works against us in so many ways. It gives our rival a competitive advantage on game days. it is used against us when slotting for bowl games. Teams that we have finished ahead of in the standing leapfrog us in the bowl selection process because their fans travel better than gopher fans. It also gives our rival fans fodder for message boards and bragging rights.

I am a first time poster on this board. I take exception to your statement above that says fans that sell their tickets, even if they pay for their entire season, should really re-consider what they are doing. FYI-I am a father of a son that plays football and basketball as well as baseball. My son has a Saturday football game at noon and he has to be at the field at 11AM. He then has tryouts for a travel basketball team at 3:30 in the afternoon. In addition, I am unemployed at the moment. My priority is my son, not the U of M or any other affiliated college team. In addition, if I can supplement my income by selling two season tickets for $250, I will do so in a heartbeat. I do not need the $250 to survive, my wife works and earns decent money, I draw unemployment and draw the maximum, I day trade and earn over $500 a week when I am not working as a consultant in accounting, taxes, and finances, and unlike most Americans, I have no debt except my house payment, etc. My goal in life is to educate my son and sometimes when bad things happen like losing your job, you take this situation and turn it into a positive learning experience. He needs to understand nothing is free in life and you must do what you can to support your family. God, country, family all come ahead of a damn football game! Too many people on this board are too extreme one way or another. Some of you people think the U of M can do no wrong, others think the U of M does everything wrong. I am in the middle ground. We have had good coaches, good AD's, good student athletes, but we have also had bad coaches, bad AD's, bad student athletes, etc. Just because you have one rotten egg, does not mean they are all rotten. Just because you have some kids doing well in school and graduating in four years and causing no problems does not excuse the kids that get in trouble! I do mean to offend anyone here but there are always multiple reasons, sides why people do what they do. Thanks

DPOD, you need to quit fragging your fellow soldiers. Nobody cares how smart you think you are.

DPOD, you need to quit fragging your fellow soldiers. Nobody cares how smart you think you are.

Dude, it's nothing to do with how smart I am or think I am. Just like he has the right to make terrible posts, I have the right to say how much his post sucks and ask him to think it through and have a sound argument before posting. Go ahead and try to take that right away from me. Let me know how that works out for you.

Speak for yourself. Dpodoll is real smart, just ask him, he'll tell ya.

Dude, it's nothing to do with how smart I am or think I am. Just like he has the right to make terrible posts, I have the right to say how much his post sucks and ask him to think it through and have a sound argument before posting. Go ahead and try to take that right away from me. Let me know how that works out for you.

No you have every right to post what you want. I'm just asking you to think it through and add to the discussion instead of being a dick. You can do what ever you want, but if you think you're improving a thread by being an asshole I would have to disagree with you.

Re: DRJ- "I day trade"

Good luck with that.

Decker is clearly the exception to the rule because as a rule most 2 star recruits do not turn out as good as he is. All I am saying is that coaches can see things in recruits that the casual fans may not see. Potential, as in a diamond in the rough.

I've never sat in a room with coaches looking at film and determining whether a guy will fit their mold. It would be interesting. Unfortunately I'm stuck with data like that in general better recruiting schools finish better at the end of the year on a consistent basis.

No you have every right to post what you want. I'm just asking you to think it through and add to the discussion instead of being a dick. You can do what ever you want, but if you think you're improving a thread by being an asshole I would have to disagree with you.

Schoodler always in the middle

Just because the only example he gave was Decker does not mean Decker is the only example.

It seems to me that the original post is saying that maybe all of our "did we get this guy or that guy to commit" talk is pretty silly - since most of the people who comment have never seen 98% of these recruits play. Of course, as I'm sure bailee88 is aware, Brewster will in fact be judged on whether he gets guys in who can play. Sounds like a reasonable post to me.

We hired Brewster to be a top recruiter, not to recruit better than what we've done before. There is a difference. I expected a top 15 class last year, and we weren't anywhere near that. I'm expecting it again this year. That was why we hired him. There is plenty of time for this to play out yet, so I'm not worried at this point, but I get why everyone is a bit confused as to the number of lower ranked recruits we're getting verbals from at this point in the year.

There are tons of examples of Eric Decker and Marion Barber III and Greg Eslingers that came here as two star recruits that did a pretty damn good job while they where here. There are also a number of 5 star, can't miss, football gods like Walker Lee Ashley (or was it Ashley Walker) that never amount to anything on the field of play. What does this mean? Shoot for two star "Diamonds in the Rough" and hope that pans out? Or bring in a top 15 class, and see what shakes out there?

Brewster came here to raise the expectations. He did with his "first" class, giving credit for the players who didn't qualify but made it in for that class. Even if Searcy and Hasan make it in, his "Second" class was a disappointment based on what Brewster has promised and what he was hired to do.

This will be his third class, I think we should expect him to be delivering on this front now. It was the only part of the job he had any real experience for. I'm not buying the five year plan mentality. The stadium's open. The buzz is there. He has a budget larger than any other coach we've had has enjoyed. He needs to deliver top ranked classes, period.

That being said, it's a long way til the first week in February. Let's see how the class looks then, and then again in August before we get too worried about it. And maybe along the way we can stop Maturi from giving fodder to every coach in the country in the off chance we don't extend Brewster this year. Brewster's boss shouldn't be actively undermining his recruiting efforts in the press, but that's just me. Many of you are perfectly happy with how badly Maturi has handled these things on a regular basis and I don't wish to offend.

It seems to me, that you can only out recruit your school position by so far. If you out recruit your school position every year and play up to your talent level eventually you will get there. And in hindsight sooner than later. You don't sell yugos at cadillac prices no matter how good a salesman you are.

His classes will improve every year, it's only a matter of time before we're a legit perennial top 25 team recruiting at a top 15 level.

We hired Brewster to be a top recruiter, not to recruit better than what we've done before. There is a difference. I expected a top 15 class last year, and we weren't anywhere near that. I'm expecting it again this year. That was why we hired him. There is plenty of time for this to play out yet, so I'm not worried at this point, but I get why everyone is a bit confused as to the number of lower ranked recruits we're getting verbals from at this point in the year.

There are tons of examples of Eric Decker and Marion Barber III and Greg Eslingers that came here as two star recruits that did a pretty damn good job while they where here. There are also a number of 5 star, can't miss, football gods like Walker Lee Ashley (or was it Ashley Walker) that never amount to anything on the field of play. What does this mean? Shoot for two star "Diamonds in the Rough" and hope that pans out? Or bring in a top 15 class, and see what shakes out there?

Brewster came here to raise the expectations. He did with his "first" class, giving credit for the players who didn't qualify but made it in for that class. Even if Searcy and Hasan make it in, his "Second" class was a disappointment based on what Brewster has promised and what he was hired to do.

This will be his third class, I think we should expect him to be delivering on this front now. It was the only part of the job he had any real experience for. I'm not buying the five year plan mentality. The stadium's open. The buzz is there. He has a budget larger than any other coach we've had has enjoyed. He needs to deliver top ranked classes, period.

That being said, it's a long way til the first week in February. Let's see how the class looks then, and then again in August before we get too worried about it. And maybe along the way we can stop Maturi from giving fodder to every coach in the country in the off chance we don't extend Brewster this year. Brewster's boss shouldn't be actively undermining his recruiting efforts in the press, but that's just me. Many of you are perfectly happy with how badly Maturi has handled these things on a regular basis and I don't wish to offend.

Agree 100 percent

You guys just expect top 15 classes even though we've only won 10 games once in the last 50 years????? Hahahahaha, holy cow, talk about misguided expectations. I'd hate to be your kids if they play sports. Let the guy accumulate top 30 classes and we'll build from there.

Top Bottom