Recruiting Class 2010 - Data

Clyde Tester

Reaction score
2010 Commitments

I’ve included info from both Rivals and Scout as I know there are fans of both services. I’ll update this with further detail when a) the class is final, and b) the final rankings are released. I’ve taken the info straight from rivals/scout but if you see anything that looks factually incorrect post the relevant info and I can edit this original post. Also, there may be other kids with interest in the Gophers that are not listed in the "uncommitted" list below - I'm FAR from a recruiting expert so I could only go by the lists presented on the recruiting sites. Feel free to add any other potential recruits in this thread as needed.

It’s interesting to think that in many/most classes at many/most schools, ~50% of any class either doesn’t pan out, never contributes or doesn’t remain in school.

[Note – stars before name = Rivals*/Scout* rating -- schools listed are the other schools that offered a scholarship to the recruit]

***/** Tyrone Bouie (DB) – Sanford, FL – Colorado St, Delaware, East Carolina, Florida Intl, Memphis, Mid Tenn State, New Mexico, Purdue, UAB and UCF

****/*** Lamonte Edwards (Athlete) – Woodbury, MN – Iowa, UAB, and Wisconsin

***/** Matt Eggen (OL) – La Crosse, WI – Buffalo, Illinois St, Indiana, Marshall, UND, NDSU, N Illinois, N Iowa and Western Michigan

***/** Zac Epping (OL) – Kenosha, WI - Central Michigan, N Illinois and W Michigan

***/** Sean Ferguson (DT) – Princeton, NJ – Kent State, Duke and Rhode Island

***/** Tiree Eure (TE) – Scranton, PA – Colorado, Connecticut, Purdue, Rutgers and Syracuse

****/**** Jimmy Gjere (OL) – New Brighton, MN – Wisconsin

***/*** Marquise Hill (Athlete) – St. Louis, MO – Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, UCLA and Wisconsin

**/* Logan Hutton WR - La Marque, Texas - Navy, Sam Houston State

***/** Donnell Kirkwood (RB) – Delray Beach, FL – Kansas State, Pittsburgh and Rutgers

***/** Harold Legania (DT) – New Orleans, LA – Colorado, Florida Intl, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Southern Miss, Texas Tech and Virginia

***/*** Marek Lenkiewicz
(OL)
– Tinley Park, IL – Akron, Ball St, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Colorado St, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo and W Michigan

***/** Christyn Lewis (DB) – Glendora, CA (Juco) – Brigham Young, Idaho and Utah State

***/*** James Manuel (DB) – Indianapolis, IN – Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Iowa, Louisville and Michigan State

**/** Dwayne Mitchell (LB) – New Orleans, LA – Arizona, Colorado, Duke, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette and Louisiana-Monroe

***/*** Tom Parish (QB) – Hartland, WI – Iowa and Western Michigan

**/** Ben Perry (DE) – Southlake, TX – Air Force and Stony Brook

**/** J.D. Pride (QB) – Brooklyn Park, MN – None

***/** Johnathan Ragoo (OL) – Opa Locka, FL – Hampton and Miami (FL)

***/** Willie Tatum (LB) – Pickerington, OH – Bowling Green, E Michigan, Marshall and Ohio

***/** Josh Tauaefa (DT) – Corinth, TX – Houston, Louisiana Tech, Portland State, UNLV and UTEP

***/** Herschel Thornton (DB) - Scranton, PA (Juco) – Pittsburgh, Rutgers and South Florida

**/** Dwight Tillman (DB) – Scranton, PA (Juco) – None

***/** Brock Vereen (DB) – Valencia, CA – Stanford

***/** Devon Wright (RB) – Coral Springs, FL – Boston College, Connecticut, Florida Intl, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers, Wake Forest and Wisconsin

TIDBITS:
Breakdown by state (can anyone add info re: which coaches at MN are assigned to recruiting in various states?):
FL – 4
MN – 3
WI – 3
PA – 3
TX - 3
CA – 2
LA – 2
NJ – 1
MO – 1
IL – 1
IN – 1
OH – 1

Breakdown by position:
O-Line – 5
QB – 2
RB – 2
TE – 1
WR - 1
Athlete – 2
D-Back - 6
D-Line – 4
LB – 2

Stars per Rivals:
4* - 2
3* - 18
2* - 5

Stars per Scout:
4* - 1
3* - 5
2* - 18
1* - 1

Big Ten Recruiting Rankings - Rivals (including national ranking)
1 - Penn State (12)
2 - Michigan (20)
3 - Ohio State (26)
4 - Michigan State (29)
5 - Iowa (42)
6 - Minnesota (50)
7 - Purdue (54)
8 - Illinois (70)
9 - Northwestern (77)
10 - Wisconsin (86)
11 - Indiana (92)

Big Ten Recruiting Rankings - Scout (including national ranking)
1 - Penn State (9)
2 - Michigan (12)
3 - Ohio State (20)
4 - Michigan State (32)
5 - Wisconsin (33)
6 - Iowa (45)
7 - Purdue (49)
8 - Northwestern (57)
9 - Indiana (58)
10 - Illinois (60)
11 - Minnesota (68)

ESPN Big Ten Ranking:
9. Minnesota Golden Gophers
The Golden Gophers did not end up in the top-25 like in recent years, but the big surprise is how low they finished in the Big Ten. The class is deep with solid three-star talent, led by top-25 RB Devon Wright (Coral Springs, Fla./J.P. Taravella) who has the size and speed to help bolster a lackluster rushing attack in 2009. Top-20 guard Jimmy Gjere (New Brighton, Minn./Irondale) is technically sound and has a great reach which could help him also play tackle. The Golden Gophers went into the state of Florida, signing several prospects including sleeper DB Tyrone Bouie (Sanford, Fla./Seminole), a savvy corner who could play early as a nickel back. "

Thank you for taking the time to compile and post that info.

Corrections:
1. Dwayne Mitchell is signed.
2. Jimmy Gjere is a Rivals 4 star.

You misspelled Tyrone Bouie and Mark Lenkiewicz.

ESPN Ratings and Scout

Updated both. Thanks.

ESPN has their own ratings but they use Scout for evaluations; at least it says "Data provided by Scout". ESPN doesn't rate JUCOS so that won't equate but where there are differences Scout's "star" number is nearly always lower. Only Parrish had a higher rating on Scout. That explains Scout's very low ranking of the Gophers and why PA would always quote Scout, but it is a little odd isn't it?

It was just a quick look between Clyde's list and ESPN so I could have missed something. I did notice it last month though, and thought it was rather odd.

ESPN/ Scout Differences

Wright 3/2
Bouie 3/2
Egger 3/2
Mitchell 3/2
Tatum 3/2
Vereen 3/2
Parish 2/3

There's a Y in Tyrone? Weird. :cry: Marek is the correct spelling per highwayman.

Apparently, it is. I wonder when they changed that on the services? It was "Mark" for months and months.

Clyde I would take a peek at the signed players list on gophersports.com to update the offers list, e.g., Mitchell also had offers from AZ and CO, Perry also had offers from KS, Vandy & Penn. It seems more complete than what you have, but good job and thanks for the summary.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=8400&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

I hate to not be trusting of the info that is put out by the Gophers but isn't that info P.R. info? I guess I worry that if those other offers existed that rivals would include them as well - can I take the Gophers press release as fact? Just curious - I can't say I've ever had to fact-check college recruiting P.R. before!

Pretty mediocre offer list for a large number of these guys. Definitely a step down from the last 2 classes.

"interest" ≠ offer

Good catch - and I think that's the correct way to approach this list anyone by including only factual info. "Interest" is pretty vague - an offer is concrete. It's a good thought though - and by forcing me to go look at the Gopher pages it gave me the idea to include links to all the player pages at gophersports.com.

"interest" ≠ offer

Yes, I know that, that is why I made the distinction and also why I suspect they made the distinction on their web page. That is why I mentioned those offers for Mitchell, since Clyde didn't list them, while Gophersports does list those offers.

Updated to remove the list of those who hadn't yet committed (i.e. Henderson). I'll update again with any late signees as they are confirmed.

I've added Logan Hutton to the list (though Rivals still does not list him as a signee and has no stars for him). Updated the "tidbits" as well.

The simple fact that there is such a disconnect between the Rivals and Scout rankings proves how subjective this is.

Our class clearly could have been better, but a lot of those 3-star guys have upside. Just remember, the most recent player to rush for 2000 yards in the NFL was a 2-star recruit on Rivals that went to East Carolina. Oops.

The simple fact that there is such a disconnect between the Rivals and Scout rankings proves how subjective this is.

Seriously though, I mean Indiana's class goes from 92nd on Rivals all the way up to 58th on Scout? My goodness, you almost wonder if they're looking at the same players haha.

Seriously though, I mean Indiana's class goes from 92nd on Rivals all the way up to 58th on Scout? My goodness, you almost wonder if they're looking at the same players haha.

Differences like that are real head-scratchers to me.

as has been pointed out the whole recruiting rankings are purely subjective and none of us "experts" really know what class is better or not. IMO we should look at the teams I thnik most would consider our peers in the B10 - Iowa and Wisconsin.

over the last 5 years Iowa class rankings per Rivals #40, #28, #53, #63, #42
over the last 5 years Wisconsin class rankings per Rivals #42, #24, #41, #42, #86

per Rivals Brewster's classes are comparable if not better than Iowa's and Wisky's over that time period.

I think most of us would be happy if the Gopher's program was on par with these other 2 schools. IMO this has a lot do with "coaching'em up". The staffs at Iowa and Wisconsin have done a great job in that regard and hopefully this is what Brewster's staff can do. That is still the big question surrounding the program. Whether this HC and staff have the ability to do what our peer programs have with regards to coaching the type of talent they can get.

Here's ESPN's "final say" on Gopher Recruiting. Closer to Rivals in stars and a step closer to Scout in Big Ten ranking.

9. Minnesota Golden Gophers
The Golden Gophers did not end up in the top-25 like in recent years, but the big surprise is how low they finished in the Big Ten. The class is deep with solid three-star talent, led by top-25 RB Devon Wright (Coral Springs, Fla./J.P. Taravella) who has the size and speed to help bolster a lackluster rushing attack in 2009. Top-20 guard Jimmy Gjere (New Brighton, Minn./Irondale) is technically sound and has a great reach which could help him also play tackle. The Golden Gophers went into the state of Florida, signing several prospects including sleeper DB Tyrone Bouie (Sanford, Fla./Seminole), a savvy corner who could play early as a nickel back. "

Added Hutton's 2-stars per Rivals. Also added the ESPN synopsis and Big Ten ranking of the class (though I personally loathe ESPN).

Does anyone know where they plan to play Marquise Hill? DB or WR? We could use help at both spots, and he had a pretty impressive list of interested schools.

Does anyone know where they plan to play Marquise Hill? DB or WR? We could use help at both spots, and he had a pretty impressive list of interested schools.

I'm going only from memory here but I thought there has been some discussion about him playing DB.

Top Bottom