Reasons the future Gopher teams are better off with the Barker Situation

Reaction score
1) national publicity - read #2 before thinking this press is bad . . .

2) current and former NFL players are going to praise and stand behind Kill and Co for the job they have and continue to do . . .

3) national publicity - read #4 before thinking this press is bad . . .

4) people will discuss how Kill and Co have and continue to turn programs around with their distinct coaching style . . .

5) i can only assume that Barker is not good for the locker room and the gophs could be better off in the end without a guy like this . . .

6) after all the press, nobody can actually take Barker seriously after the way he has been handling himself . . .

Ultimately, let hope Barker can get the help and support he needs to turn things around . . .

SKI-U-MAH!!!

Agree. Also, Barker made a huge mistake in going public with a private dispute. There are administrative remedies he should have first followed starting with a meeting with Kill, then Kill's boss, the AD, and finally with the U's President, Kaler, if he deemed his complaints so serious. Having followed the ill advised path he has chosen, he is now toxic material which could negatively impact him in future employment situations.

Agree. Also, Barker made a huge mistake in going public with a private dispute. There are administrative remedies he should have first followed starting with a meeting with Kill, then Kill's boss, the AD, and finally with the U's President, Kaler, if he deemed his complaints so serious. Having followed the ill advised path he has chosen, he is now toxic material which could negatively impact him in future employment situations.

Less toxic than you might think. If he can catch a ball, someone needs him.

There are lots of shi#@y employers out there - shi#@y employees too. Sometimes it's just a bad match. He wasn't one of Kill's boys. That makes a difference.

He won't be the last to bail after this season.

I've seen this happen in the work place. Word gets around, especially quick in the digital age. He should have taken the grievance up the chain in private.

Or Option 2:

This blows up in our face and more former and current players come out in support of AJ.

Or Option 2:

This blows up in our face and more former and current players come out in support of AJ.

I bet more people and more respected people come out supporting Kill than come out supporting Barker

This will barely make national news. The most recent Leach story, which is almost identical to this situation, came and went in a flash, and Leach has a history of abuse towards players.

We all know how national outlets like ESPN cover Minnesota sports. Goodluck finding more than one blip about this on ESPN. All the recruits will see is that a disgruntled player left. Any targetted players will ignore that story because they know Kill on a personal level, and they do not know Barker.

The only way this has any effect on recruiting is if afurry91's unlikely scenerio plays out, and there is a coup d'etat within the team

Another positive....

future players won't question why they do this or don't do that in the weight room or training room. The U employees in those areas are highly educated and are up to date on the latest and greatest science available. TRUST THEM! It sounds as if he wants to heal his way because it makes him feel better (icing short and outside treatment).

This will barely make national news. The most recent Leach story, which is almost identical to this situation, came and went in a flash, and Leach has a history of abuse towards players.

We all know how national outlets like ESPN cover Minnesota sports. Goodluck finding more than one blip about this on ESPN. All the recruits will see is that a disgruntled player left. Any targetted players will ignore that story because they know Kill on a personal level, and they do not know Barker.

The only way this has any effect on recruiting is if afurry91's unlikely scenerio plays out, and there is a coup d'etat within the team

I wish you were right.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-barker-quits-alleges-mistreatment-jerry-kill

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/65630/gophers-barker-quits-team-rips-jerry-kill

http://deadspin.com/a'j'-barker/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-team-with-lengthy-letter-to-coach-jerry-kill

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...d43e56-31e8-11e2-92f0-496af208bf23_story.html

The Leach article was on the front page of yahoo.com

The next day, nobody talked about it. Yes it's a story, no, it won't directly impact targeted recruits. The story won't get huge unless something major happens

New coaches frequently seem to run malcontents off their teams when they take over. In the over 4,000 word manifesto, the only really damning statement (assuming it was true) was Barker being called the "F" word by an assistant coach. Even in Barker's skewed world, Kill comes off as nothing more than a strict disciplinarian....sounds like a college football coach to me. All I've learned is that we don't have another Jim Wacker on our hands...and Mr. Barker is nut with a raging Oedipal complex.

1) national publicity - read #2 before thinking this press is bad . . .

2) current and former NFL players are going to praise and stand behind Kill and Co for the job they have and continue to do . . .

3) national publicity - read #4 before thinking this press is bad . . .

4) people will discuss how Kill and Co have and continue to turn programs around with their distinct coaching style . . .

5) i can only assume that Barker is not good for the locker room and the gophs could be better off in the end without a guy like this . . .

6) after all the press, nobody can actually take Barker seriously after the way he has been handling himself . . .

Ultimately, let hope Barker can get the help and support he needs to turn things around . . .

SKI-U-MAH!!!

I am the only gopher nation

You are crazy. This is a local kid, All- American type boy, went to high school in the shadows of the University, was a walk on who worked his way into darn good player, and then goes off on the coach. Chances are VERY GOOD that others on the team feel the same way. This is a black eye on the program. This is the kind of thing that makes MN high school coaches say hmmmm. Don't kid yourself, this is bad.

Not sure why you can't take him seriously. I am very certain that he is aware of the risks involved in speaking out about Kill. You can't make this up. He does not have the reputation of a troublemaker.

Not sure why you can't take him seriously. I am very certain that he is aware of the risks involved in speaking out about Kill. You can't make this up. He does not have the reputation of a troublemaker.
Except he did something similar to his HS coach on Twitter...

Except he did something similar to his HS coach on Twitter...

What do you have to say to that, 3399?? He DOES have a reputation. And it's not looking good for him.

Also, just thought I'd mention: The little national attention this has gotten, most people are saying kids like him are the reason Minnesota has sucked for so long.

Hmmmm..

Can't agree at all. Think aj is a good player with many screws loose. I feel bad for the kid and support whatever jk did.

When you freely admit to ignoring the treatment prescribed by the training staff?

Right on, Max. A football player can never go wrong unquestioningly following the prescribed treatment of the training staff who always know what they are doing and who always put the health of the players ahead of the pressure from the coaches to get the player back on the field as soon as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After I finished doing my “orange shirt workout” I approached Ed Lochery about my ankle. I was approaching him about the premise that I should be healthy by next week or it was my fault and he agreed with the premise. He went on to tell me that if I had done everything he asked I would be healthy by now. He claimed I was cutting exercises short and not icing after treatments. I clarified that I iced when I had swelling, and because of acupuncture appointments I was receiving outside the facilities, I didn’t like how it stiffened up my ankle at times. This conversation between me and Ed was so honest that we got to the point where we acknowledged this was an “ego” thing and not about my health whatsoever. He trusted that I was working hard away from the team, but claimed he didn’t like the effort I was putting in to my treatments with the team (its VERY important to note that he had expressed none of this to me in the past 3 weeks and went as far as to conceal the fact he had a problem with what I was doing).

You are crazy. This is a local kid, All- American type boy, went to high school in the shadows of the University, was a walk on who worked his way into darn good player, and then goes off on the coach. Chances are VERY GOOD that others on the team feel the same way. This is a black eye on the program. This is the kind of thing that makes MN high school coaches say hmmmm. Don't kid yourself, this is bad.

Completely agree. This kid deserves a schoolie simply based on what he's done for the team this year. He's a poster child for the type of excellent athlete that is often overlooked by recruiting services because of his 40 time or size. And with regard to his recovery time from his ankle injury--the athlete knows best, not the coach, not the trainer. Barker wants to play and if he could play effectively he'd let the coaches know.

Completely agree. This kid deserves a schoolie simply based on what he's done for the team this year. He's a poster child for the type of excellent athlete that is often overlooked by recruiting services because of his 40 time or size. And with regard to his recovery time from his ankle injury--the athlete knows best, not the coach, not the trainer. Barker wants to play and if he could play effectively he'd let the coaches know.

That is so far away from the truth as to be just plain silly. The coaches, and in particularly the trainers, are there to protect the players.

Hell, I'm a 43 y/o long-distance runner who blew off my own trainer and dr this summer as I thought I knew my own body best....one mri and two months of rest/therapy later and I just started running again.

Listen to your professionals. There is a reason they do what they do.

Listen to your professionals. There is a reason they do what they do.

As a physician, I generally agree. However, there is inherent potential for conflict of interest as the providers (trainers, etc.) are employed by the U, work with and receive input from the coaching staff. It is not a normal provider-patient relationship.

If an employee is hurt on the job, I believe it would be illegal for the employer to require all evaluation and treatment of the injury to take place in house by company-paid providers.

Right on, Max. A football player can never go wrong unquestioningly following the prescribed treatment of the training staff who always know what they are doing and who always put the health of the ....

Right because the head trainer who has been here for 11 years and three different head coaches (which is remarkable in its own right) is nationally known for being bad at his job.

Top Bottom