Reasons for Chris Peterson to Leave Boise

KrisHumphries

Reaction score
Reasons for Chris Petersen to Leave Boise

As much dedication as Chris Petersen seems to have to Boise, I've been thinking a few things should make him want to leave.

- A single loss gives him zero chance at a title game OR BCS game..
- A Perfect season gives him a 5% chance at a title game
- Boise moved to the Mountain West to increase their credibility and schedule difficulty. Since they joined the conferences two best teams left. This would leave any coach with a desperate and hopeless feeling.

I've been thinking a lot about the last reason mixed with the Nevada game. I would imagine that frustration has to get to him at some point

The next thing we'd need to figure out is why he'd pick Minnesota over Miami. :)

Thought of the same things. Got to get tiring having to be undefeated and then only have a small chance at the title.

Still coming here would seem to be a huge gamble for him. If he doesn't win here he would be seen as damaged goods and just another non-AQ coach who could hack it in a BCS conference.

Maybe he's sick of eating potatoes?

As much dedication as Chris Peterson seems to have to Boise, I've been thinking a few things should make him want to leave.

- Boise moved to the Mountain West to increase their credibility and schedule difficulty. Since they joined the conferences two best teams left. This would leave any coach with a desperate and hopeless feeling.

I've been thinking a lot about the last reason mixed with the Nevada game. I would imagine that frustration has to get to him at some point

Good points. Especially the last one. Case in point. About 5 years ago Schiano was hot poop at Rutgers after a breakout season. He probably could have translated that into a top BCS job (his name was even rumored for ND), but Schiano was among the 25 coaches who think they're heir apparent at PSU. Now that the Red Knights have gone back to medicrity, he'd be lucky to line up a tight end coaching job with the Redskins. Oh wait, that's our former coach. But still.

The next thing we'd need to figure out is why he'd pick Minnesota over Miami. :)

i think miami is going hard after gruden... it's possible that peterson wants to take the sure hire w/ minny versus 'hoping' he gets the miami job.

Reusse offers up a good reason as well:

1500ESPN_Reusse
Why would Boise's Chris Petersen consider Minnesota? Here's why:
His team scores 50 a game, has Heisman candidate at QB, goes 11-1, and w/ one loss, Boise is headed to Dec. 22 bowl game in Las Vegas.

As much dedication as Chris Peterson seems to have to Boise, I've been thinking a few things should make him want to leave.

Good points. He may want to prove his chops at a higher level. There will always be a cloud over him in Boise due to the level of competition.

1500ESPN_Reusse (via Twitter) Patrick Reusse:

1500ESPN_Reusse (via Twitter) Patrick Reusse:
His team scores 50 a game, has Heisman candidate at QB, goes 11-1, and w/ one loss, Boise is headed to Dec. 22 bowl game in Las Vegas.

Reusse offers up a good reason as well:

1500ESPN_Reusse

great minds... *wink*

Heh.... :)

1500ESPN_Reusse Patrick Reusse
I'd still prefer Leach, but if M&M boys have landed Petersen, Maturi's status as 2010 Turkey of Year runner-up is revoked.

1500ESPN_Reusse Patrick Reusse
A pre-Christmas bowl for blue-turf Broncs? The Gophers' once-annual trips to Insight Bowl might not look that bad to Petersen.

--Guessing that Petersen would come to Minnesota over Miami for quality of life reasons. He has a young family, and may appreciate the Twin Cities as a great place to raise a family.
--The expectation bar is clearly lower at Minnesota than it is in Miami, and with essentially lifetime security in what would be a longterm contract, he can pursue in the Big Ten what he'll never get in the Mountain West, given recent conference realignments.

I think tomorrow will be kind of interesting with many Gopher fans hoping a plane comes in from West rather than East.

the only thing is, if somehow Maturi lands a guy like Petersen, how did he keep it under raps?

I would almost have to believe that Petersen never interviewed for the job in person. Only over the phone. How else could Petersen get away from the Boise media to travel to Minnesota or some other location and interview for this job. And how could Maturi do the same.

The only way I could think of is if somehow Petersen went to San Diego while Maturi was out there.

I think tomorrow will be kind of interesting with many Gopher fans hoping a plane comes in from West rather than East.

the only thing is, if somehow Maturi lands a guy like Petersen, how did he keep it under raps?

I would almost have to believe that Petersen never interviewed for the job in person. Only over the phone. How else could Petersen get away from the Boise media to travel to Minnesota or some other location and interview for this job. And how could Maturi do the same.

The only way I could think of is if somehow Petersen went to San Diego while Maturi was out there.

couldnt maturi have slipped off to boise? maybe he never was in SD at all :eek:

Stranger things have happened. Does anyone really think an interview would have taken place in Boise or Mpls?

I would almost have to believe that Petersen never interviewed for the job in person. Only over the phone.

Skype or video iChat? Wouldn't that be a first. Hire a coach with updated technology. Then again we are talking about the U.

Could have met him in Omaha possibly.

couldnt maturi have slipped off to boise? maybe he never was in SD at all :eek:

Well we know he met with Hoke. Hoke confirmed that.

Perhaps after the loss and TCU fled to the Big East he weighed his options and decided to contact the search firm with interest.

Well we know he met with Hoke. Hoke confirmed that.

Perhaps after the loss and TCU fled to the Big East he weighed his options and decided to contact the search firm with interest.

vewwy possibru

If Petersen's a fan of Dexter, he will know that Miami is absolutely crawling with serial killers, and serial killers who specialize in killing serial killers.

Not exactly a stable environment.

Another thing along with the fact he has a young family and kids to raise. A number of people on here have mentioned that he's a very private person. One of the things Tubby and his wife like about Mpls is that they can actually go out and do things without being surrounded by fans/haters all the time. Coach Pete and his family would be able to live as close to a normal life as is possible for a D1 football coach in Mpls.

Another thing along with the fact he has a young family and kids to raise. A number of people on here have mentioned that he's a very private person. One of the things Tubby and his wife like about Mpls is that they can actually go out and do things without being surrounded by fans/haters all the time. Coach Pete and his family would be able to live as close to a normal life as is possible for a D1 football coach in Mpls.

If his goal is to coach in a BCS conference then he may see Mpls as the perfect place to do it. This theory makes a lot of sense.

What's crazy is his 1 loss is against a very good ranked team that also only has 1 loss...it's not like they lost to UNLV...

How about the fact that they lose 1 game at Boise and they now play in a bowl game on Dec 22.

--Brew was fired on Oct 17th. Boise State next played home games on Tuesday, 26 Oct and then 11 days later on Saturday, November 6th, creating a likely window for contact, probably in Boise.
--Have to assume that Maturi didn't wait until 17 October to start thinking about replacements, and that Petersen was at the top of his list before Brew was canned. The search firm saga, the Hoke, Edsall, Sumlin tales could all be Plan B window dressing if you get the guy you want but have to wait till the season is over.

Has Petersen ever been here? I probably would have to take a peek at the facilities at the new job before committing. But then again, if you are going to double/triple my pay, I'd probably shovel horse poop in 110 degree heat every day without looking at the shovel first...

Peterson would likely have heard about Minnesota's facilities upgrade. Maybe his wife visited in the past 6 weeks, which could have happened without alerting anyone.

We heard earlier they contacted Harbaugh, have to assume Petersen was contacted as well. Harbaugh came out right away and said they contacted him and he wasn't interested. Petersen never did this. Are there many many many reasons why he wouldn't have done this? Oh yeah. But I think his name is still on the table. And my gut says it is him, but idk. just a feeling.

Top Bottom