Reasoning for Gray not getting QB reps in Garbage time?

What I've seen:
When Gray went in at QB, a lot of exciting things happened. Yes, he fumbled a couple times, but....Weber has been awful on several occasions, turned the ball over numerous times, yet stays in the game even when he's producing nothing.
I just don't get it. We just seem so stagnant with Weber. I would grade him as slightly below average against MTSU, well below average in the first half against USD, pretty good in the second half against USD, then a sub-par performance against USC with conservative play-caliing.
I just want to see our offense have the chance to get jump-started, insted of this off-and-on (mostly off) stuff of the last two seasons.
Weber seems like a really great person, but he isn't getting the offense to produce consistently enough.
When I watched Gray play QB in the spring game at St. Thomas in '09, I was really fired up. Now I wonder why he's given so few chances.

Haven't really had any garbage time this year aside from one possession against USC. You may say he kept Weber in to score and make it look closer. That is probably true. He was probably trying to get the 1s another score to make it look closer and build their confidence. This team proved it can play with above average teams (USC is above average at worst). Right now, Brewster's biggest enemy is self doubt. there is so much hate and negativity flowing around the program right now, and if he has any chance to save his job, he cannot allow the negativity to penetrate the team. So I don't blame him for doing whatever he can to keep confidence up.

Brewster said as recent as last week that Gray would be the QB next year. If this is the case then he should be getting some reps, instead he wasted a year of eligibility last year. When you add in no reps this year you will have a Jr. QB with virtually no game experience at the position he will be counted on at next year.

Brewster said as recent as last week that Gray would be the QB next year. If this is the case then he should be getting some reps, instead he wasted a year of eligibility last year. When you add in no reps this year you will have a Jr. QB with virtually no game experience at the position he will be counted on at next year.

Or maybe Brew thinks (and I would agree) that playing Gray would mean less wins on the year. And since his seat is a bit warm at the moment, it would probably suit his career best if he played out Weber at QB, all the while still playing Gray. Win-win.

You crybabies that hate Weber are getting tried. Deal with it and move on.

Gopher Bandanna Guy;263573 Perhaps the other question here to ask is: [I said:
If MarQueis wasn't at WR and was starting at QB, who would MarQueis be throwing to in order to help him match Weber's #s?[/I]

If you can answer that, then perhaps you should be head coach. If you can't, then I think you just figured out why #5 is lining up on the edge, and not under center.

THIS!!! Good God why can't these people get this?!

Or maybe Brew thinks (and I would agree) that playing Gray would mean less wins on the year. And since his seat is a bit warm at the moment, it would probably suit his career best if he played out Weber at QB, all the while still playing Gray. Win-win.

You crybabies that hate Weber are getting tried. Deal with it and move on.

Maybe he should have gotten him more reps last year then to try and develop him so he could have contributed more this year. He also could have red-shirted him last year as well versus wasting a year of eligibility. By not doing this however Brewster has put himself into a position where if he survives this year then he is left with QB next season with no experience. I guess from his perspective if he can stick around for another year then that is another million dollars that he can steal from the university that he hasn't earned.

Gray

What I've seen:
When Gray went in at QB, a lot of exciting things happened. Yes, he fumbled a couple times, but....Weber has been awful on several occasions, turned the ball over numerous times, yet stays in the game even when he's producing nothing.
I just don't get it. We just seem so stagnant with Weber. I would grade him as slightly below average against MTSU, well below average in the first half against USD, pretty good in the second half against USD, then a sub-par performance against USC with conservative play-caliing.
I just want to see our offense have the chance to get jump-started, insted of this off-and-on (mostly off) stuff of the last two seasons.
Weber seems like a really great person, but he isn't getting the offense to produce consistently enough.
When I watched Gray play QB in the spring game at St. Thomas in '09, I was really fired up. Now I wonder why he's given so few chances.

Why can't so many of you see the above. The job of a quarterback is to win games. Weber is horrible at that. I get Gray is our best wide receiver (how sad is that?) I understand if he plays quarterback he has less talented people to throw to. But Gray would scare the heck out of defensive coordinators (if our offense had any imagination with him at qb). He can run, he's strong, he's big, he's quick. He's a dual threat. He can't possibly make worse decisions than Weber. He can't fumble more. But Gray can have a gigantic upside. We ain't going anywhere with Weber as our quarterback....it is his 5th year people....he can't make decisions. His body language is horrible. He is not a leader on the field. I'm sure he's a great guy. He has experience. He has no excuses. He has proven he is not the answer. Gray needs the experience, the opportunity, the chance.

When Gray played quarterback last year....did you know the play that was coming before it happened? Don't you think that might have been a handicap to his performance? For those knocking Ohio State's 2nd team....they were/are all 4 and 5 star recruits who were high school gods.

I wasn't a big fan of Belotti as an announcer and just about his only opinionated comment all day was about Gray. Something along the lines of...other guy..."Gray is the Gophers most dynamic athlete, who was the top quarterback in the country in high school, why isn't he involved more?"
Belotti said something like...."I can't explain that he absolutely should be more involved, they have no offensive threat that I see other than him."

My point look at Michigan with their new quarterback, look at Ohio State, look at Joe Webb, look at Dasher, Michael Vick....on and on all these guys scare the heck out of defenses. Unless we play Middle Tennessee and outweigh each guy by 70 pounds...who do we scare with our offense? We play a Big Ten caliber team and rush for 83 yards. Gray could make his receivers better because Gray would be a threat himself at quarterback....Weber sacks himself.

Brewster needs to show some balls and play for the future. Play Gray at quarterback. It is the only shot we have to stun people. It is our only chance at a winning record. Otherwise he's 100% going to get fired. And then the next guy will play Gray and everyone will say....why didn't we do that two years ago?

What garbage time?

You mean that one drive against USC?

Maybe he should have gotten him more reps last year then to try and develop him so he could have contributed more this year. He also could have red-shirted him last year as well versus wasting a year of eligibility. By not doing this however Brewster has put himself into a position where if he survives this year then he is left with QB next season with no experience. I guess from his perspective if he can stick around for another year then that is another million dollars that he can steal from the university that he hasn't earned.

+++

Top Bottom