Reasoning for Gray not getting QB reps in Garbage time?

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
Honestly, why didn't he get the garbage reps?

This isn't a Grey vs Webber conversation. But doesn't MarQueis deserve those reps? Kinda pisses me off he didn't get THE MUCH NEEDED REPS. If it's because Brew wanted a less ugly looking score, then that's disgusting.

Honestly, why didn't he get the garbage reps?

This isn't a Grey vs Webber conversation. But doesn't MarQueis deserve those reps? Kinda pisses me off he didn't get THE MUCH NEEDED REPS. If it's because Brew wanted a less ugly looking score, then that's disgusting.

Well, Gray fumbled a few times last year, including one at a critical point in the bowl game against ISU (at a point when Weber, for only the second time all year, was playing well, and we all knew Gray had fumblitis last year - so who's fault was it, really, that Gray was put into that situation - but that's beyond the point). So maybe he's being punished for promoting a loss to ISU in the bowl game? Other than the fumbles, with Gray at QB the Gophers showed time and time again last year an ability to move the football, and our current QB rarely shows the same ability, so your question is plenty valid.

As the other threads pointed out, it seems one of the driving forces behind game planning was to avoid being blown out. So we have Weber continuing to pass and eventually get the late TD that makes the final score look closer than it was.

I think Gray needs the reps as well. He was recruited to run and offense we don't use any more, so he needs as much experience trying to run our current system as possible before we turn the keys over to him next year.

I still don't understand why he's not the quarterback.
But I'm tired of belaboring the point because it's not going to change.

My feeling is that we will never see Gray as starting QB. He was fairly effective yesterday (all things considered) as WR, and IMHO that is likely to be his permanent position. He will continue to be the backup QB, much as Randle El used to be (is?) one of the backup QBs at the Steelers. Next year is year one of Alipate?

Maybe he doesn't want to create a quarterback controversy. If Gray really isn't ready, give us some proof in a real game setting.

If we are going to run the ball for a blistering 2.2 yards per carry and the quaterback is simply handing off the ball, wouldn't we possibly be better off with a running quaterback?

If Gray continues to play well at WR and is at least a 'push' with Weber, then it bodes better to keep both on the field as is, rather than Gray at QB and Weber on the bench (god forbid).

Pelini was on one of the radio shows on the drive home after the game. He was asked about inserting his backup QB during the second quarter and his response was something to the effect of "we try to do that at least once a game, usually in the second quarter, if something goes wrong with our starter, we don't want to be forced into a situation where we're sending a QB in that's never taken a snap." Why the Gophers don't do that is beyond me. Especially now since the season and Brewster's job is hanging by a thread. Give Gray and Alipate some work.

Gee, why was a smart move not made by stupid people?

If we are going to run the ball for a blistering 2.2 yards per carry and the quaterback is simply handing off the ball, wouldn't we possibly be better off with a running quaterback?

Come on, if you can't figure out what they were doing don't post. They were ahead 14-13 in the third quarter. Not bad I would say.

If he is a WR this year, he needs as many game-time reps at WR as he can get.

I would imagine that they were trying to establish a little bit of confidence with the starting offense for the rest of the season. You would be surprised how much a drive like that (albeit against some usc second stringers) helps the offense going forward.

whatever the score, when the D puts 9 in the box (and you cannot run anyway), you need to flex and pass the ball a bit-simple tactics all but lost on this current coaching crew..

whatever the score, when the D puts 9 in the box (and you cannot run anyway), you need to flex and pass the ball a bit-simple tactics all but lost on this current coaching crew..
I thought with the coaching staff looking at the film of USC at Hawaii, they would have found (and tried) some things that worked for Hawaii.

He was getting reps. He's the number three WR in the conference. The season isn't over. We'll need him at WR, best he got more work in there.

He was getting reps. He's the number three WR in the conference. The season isn't over. We'll need him at WR, best he got more work in there.

Disagree

Putting him at quarterback isn't throwing in a white flag for the season. He probably got 50+ reps at WR and looks pretty good there. But the 6-10 reps he could've gotten at QB would have been huge - he hasn't gotten any reps all year and this would have been against a good defense.

After reading Phil Miller's article this morning, I'm convinced Brewster desperately wanted a score on that last drive. That's incredibly selfish, considering how many young players need those garbage reps.

One question - Is Gray a better or worse QB after the garbage time he got against OSU last year?

But I've repeatedly heard that:

A) He's our #2 right now

and

B) He's our #1 next year

And I don't see either of these things changing anytime soon.

The argument is why our backup QB didn't get the garbage reps.

How good he is shouldn't determine whether he gets the reps or not. If he's the backup (which I'm led to believe he is), then he needs those reps.

"Well we were going to give our backups some reps at the end of the game, but none of them are any good, so we stuck with our first team" - Something you probably won't hear

Boy I sound really f*cking repetitive. But this really bothered me. Your backup QB needs to be game ready.

Gray SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS as a QB

I am sick of Gray at QB talk. If you had watched Gray last year, if you watched the spring game, if you watched the fall scrimmage then you would know Gray SUCKS as a QB. cncmin do you live on planet earth? "Other than the fumbles, with Gray at QB the Gophers showed time and time again last year an ability to move the football" FUMBLES LOSE FRIGGING GAMES!!! Other than a series against Ohio State second stringers Gray DID NOT SHOW AN ABILITY TO MOVE THE FOOTBALL. Gray fumbles, throws picks, is not accurate in his throws and can't find the open receiver. Gray is not now a D1 QB and he MAY NEVER BE ONE!!! It is 50-50 at best that he is the starting QB next year.

Gray can run however and he has good hands. He is doing well at WR for so little experience. Be happy for him - he will only get better at WR but HE IS NOT NOW A QB unless something drastic has happened since the fall scrimmage.

FUMBLES LOSE FRIGGING GAMES!!! Other than a series against USC's second stringers Weber DID NOT SHOW AN ABILITY TO MOVE THE FOOTBALL. Weber fumbles, throws picks, is not accurate in his throws and can't find the open receiver.

Fixed that for you.

I am sick of Gray at QB talk. If you had watched Gray last year, if you watched the spring game, if you watched the fall scrimmage then you would know Gray SUCKS as a QB. cncmin do you live on planet earth? "Other than the fumbles, with Gray at QB the Gophers showed time and time again last year an ability to move the football" FUMBLES LOSE FRIGGING GAMES!!! Other than a series against Ohio State second stringers Gray DID NOT SHOW AN ABILITY TO MOVE THE FOOTBALL. Gray fumbles, throws picks, is not accurate in his throws and can't find the open receiver. Gray is not now a D1 QB and he MAY NEVER BE ONE!!! It is 50-50 at best that he is the starting QB next year.

Gray can run however and he has good hands. He is doing well at WR for so little experience. Be happy for him - he will only get better at WR but HE IS NOT NOW A QB unless something drastic has happened since the fall scrimmage.

So why not give Alipate some reps?

Totally beyond me - if Weber is hurt, Gray has to play, yet he has almost no game-time experience. He should have gone in last year after Weber's pick-six in the Illinois game. Had he played then (as Pryor played as a freshman) we would have done much better against SD State and won the bowl game and maybe the Illinois game. Like Pryor early on, he'd have made his blunders, as we saw in the bowl (a moment he should never have experienced, anyway, as Weber was moving the team well toward the field goal. Why he doesn't get ANY reps is a mystery to me.

One question - Is Gray a better or worse QB after the garbage time he got against OSU last year?

Rhetorical question I'm sure, but I'll answer anyways. There's no way to answer this. MG didn't look that great in Spring, and (I believe) lost the QB battle with Weber fair and square. It does bother me that Gray isn't getting any live reps this year under center at all so far, but as long as he keeps producing at receiver, its hard to pull him off the field now. I suspect that he'll get a half of football to play in again vs. OSU though...

Perhaps the other question here to ask is: If MarQueis wasn't at WR and was starting at QB, who would MarQueis be throwing to in order to help him match Weber's #s?

If you can answer that, then perhaps you should be head coach. If you can't, then I think you just figured out why #5 is lining up on the edge, and not under center.

Top Bottom