4 - Battle playing the 3
4 - Garcia has been playing the 5
4 - Ola-Joseph
4 - Ihnen
4 - Fox
4 - Thompson. backing up the 5
5 - Payne playing mostly high post
5 - Evans
Making things worse this year is that because of the imbalance, most of our guys are playing out of position- as noted above

1 - Cooper
2 - Carrington
2/3 - Christie
3 - Henley
3 - Betts
4 - Battle
4 - Garcia
4 - Ola-Joseph
4 - Ihnen
4 - Fox
4 - Thompson
5 - Payne
5 - Evans
-Gopher weather guy

I agree. Here is what I want to see:

1 - Cooper--Still on the team but mostly playing the 2 to spell Christie and Carrington
2 - Carrington-Splitting time at 2 with Christie and Cooper
2/3 - Christie-Splitting time at 2 with Cooper and Carrington(maybe some time at the 3)
3 - Henley-Henley and Betts splitting time at the 3(maybe some Christie)
3 - Betts-Henley and Betts splitting time at the 3(maybe some Christie)
4 - Battle-He's a 4
4 - Garcia-He's a 4 and can play some 5 if situation permits.
4 - Ola-Joseph-A 4 but bench most of the season
4 - Ihnen-If healthy he plays behind Garcia and Battle
4 - Fox-Applies for Social Security after finishing his PHD. Been in school like 11 years now. -Pick up portal player (PG) to replace Fox
4 - Thompson-Good luck at the school you transfer too. Portal PG of 2/3 to take his place
5 - Payne-Starting at 5. Splits time with Evans if Evans is ready.
5 - Evans-Splits time at the 5 with Payne when ready.

First ten games of the season I see this for our top 9 guys:

Starters:
Portal PG
Carrington
Henley
Garcia
Payne
next 4:
Cooper
Christie
Battle
Evans

We'll see

There has been a lot of discussion about roster construction, so this is how next year's roster currently looks and the positions I believe the players are best suited for, and not necessarily where they have been playing, or where Ben may have them playing in the future.

1 - Cooper
2 - Carrington
2/3 - Christie
3 - Henley
3 - Betts
4 - Battle
4 - Garcia
4 - Ola-Joseph
4 - Ihnen
4 - Fox
4 - Thompson
5 - Payne
5 - Evans

2/3 of the roster is 4's and 5's and we wonder why we're slow, can't shoot, and can't make free throws.

This is why it's hard to be optimistic unless Ihnen, Fox, and Thompson all leave, and they bring in at least two more 1s, and another 2/3 to replace them.
Two more 1s and another 2/3 to replace them will do the trick, you say. Doesn't matter who, what quality, just balance the roster. If Samuels had a year left, you would only need two more to replace Ihnen, Fox, and TT. LOL.

Two more 1s and another 2/3 to replace them will do the trick, you say. Doesn't matter who, what quality, just balance the roster. If Samuels had a year left, you would only need two more to replace Ihnen, Fox, and TT. LOL.

Yes, that's how far away this roster is. Obviously they have to be better quality than Samuels, who I said wasn't a B1G player the minute he signed.

That's why we have 1 B1G win over the last year, and why we routinely get blown out.

1 - Cooper
2 - Carrington
2/3 - Christie
3 - Henley
3 - Betts
4 - Battle
4 - Garcia
4 - Ola-Joseph
4 - Ihnen
4 - Fox
4 - Thompson
5 - Payne
5 - Evans
-Gopher weather guy

1 - Cooper--Still on the team but mostly playing the 2 to spell Christie and Carrington
2/3 - Christie-Splitting time at 2 with Cooper and Carrington(maybe some time at the 3)
4 - Battle-He's a 4
4 - Fox-Applies for Social Security after finishing his PHD. Been in school like 11 years now. -Pick up portal player (PG) to replace Fox
4 - Thompson-Good luck at the school you transfer too. Portal PG of 2/3 to take his place

Starters:
Portal PG
Carrington
Henley
Garcia
Payne
next 4:
Cooper
Christie
Battle
Evans

We'll see

I think that's a fair assessment. Battle and Garcia will be starters as long as they are on the roster though. I'm not as high on Henley yet either. He has talent, but he has a long ways go to.

I think that's a fair assessment. Battle and Garcia will be starters as long as they are on the roster though. I'm not as high on Henley yet either. He has talent, but he has a long ways go to.
I was pretty much out on Henley a 1/3 of the way through. He’s won be back with his last 4-5 games. Doubt he makes those types of jumps all the time, but if he can make a similar one by next fall he will easily be a serviceable 2 as a sophomore

1 - Cooper
2 - Carrington
2/3 - Christie
3 - Henley
3 - Betts
4 - Battle
4 - Garcia
4 - Ola-Joseph
4 - Ihnen
4 - Fox
4 - Thompson
5 - Payne
5 - Evans
-Gopher weather guy

4 - Battle-He's a 4

Starters:
Portal PG
Carrington
Henley
Garcia
Payne
next 4:
Cooper
Christie
Battle
Evans

We'll see
Betts, Carrington, Mr Portal , really ? and Carrington and Henley starting over Cooper?Joseph not in your rotation? Think you’re dreaming but that’s being a fan.

I was pretty much out on Henley a 1/3 of the way through. He’s won be back with his last 4-5 games. Doubt he makes those types of jumps all the time, but if he can make a similar one by next fall he will easily be a serviceable 2 as a sophomore

He's a project, if he can develop a basketball IQ, which he has very little of now, he can be good. I think he's another year away yet. Even in his 'good games' he has stretches where he looks really, really bad, like the first half of the last game.

Betts, Carrington, Mr Portal , really ? and Carrington and Henley starting over Cooper?Joseph not in your rotation? Think you’re dreaming but that’s being a fan.

I don't want to speak for Big Dawg, but the problem with the roster is where everyone 'should' be playing. Ola-Joseph has been productive on offense this year, but he would be behind Garcia and Battle, who all should be playing the 4. That would push him out of the rotation.

I don't want to speak for Big Dawg, but the problem with the roster is where everyone 'should' be playing. Ola-Joseph has been productive on offense this year, but he would be behind Garcia and Battle, who all should be playing the 4. That would push him out of the rotation.
JOJ has played pretty well most of the year. He's one I would hate to see leave. Best fr imo.

He's a project, if he can develop a basketball IQ, which he has very little of now, he can be good. I think he's another year away yet. Even in his 'good games' he has stretches where he looks really, really bad, like the first half of the last game.
His defensive IQ is what I’ve seen a dramatic improvement in. Offensively he’s still aggressive in the wrong spots, but he took a jump defensively. If he takes that type on the offensive end on his shot selection, he’ll be serviceable (5th best starter). He’s at least a year away like you said from being better than that imo too.

Have you happened to actually read about the roster turnover at Mississippi State and LSU when these coaches took over...and further, you can include Missouri. Let me break it down for you:

Mississippi State: Lost 8 guys from last years team. 59% of the total minutes and 58% of the total scoring. He brought in portal players and HS recruits. They are 17-9 and 41 in KenPom (last year they were 49 in KenPom and 18-16...so how is this a loss in your mind?)

LSU: Matt McMahon: only 3 of the 13 scholarship players returned from the prior LSU season. He brought 3 players from his Murray State NCAA team, 4 HS recruits, and 3 portal players. While they are 12-14: they have a win against Arkansas. *This has started to mirror CBJ in Year 1 though*

Missouri: doesn't count in your mind...it's the coach (so does that mean CBJ is just terrible...?)

Penn State: They are 15-11 and KenPom of 48. This is not a fail. They have been a historically below average program. The only two bad losses they have is 2 against WI & @ Nebraska by 9 (in the Big10). They still may make the NCAA tournament. Last time in the NCAA tournament was 2011.
Did you actually look at the roster turnover at Mississippi State?

60% of their scoring comes from 4 returning players.

They brought in a decent tranfer gaurd that contributes.

Their other two transfers that play significantly, have stat lines almost identical to Jaden Henley. And another that compares to Taurus Samuals.

I think there's a sneaky chance Christie starts at a wing spot and is effective.

I'll go this way for next year:

Cooper
Christie (Could easily be Carrington or Henley)
Battle
Garcia
Payne

Rotation

Carrington
Henley
Ihnen
JOJ
Evans
Fox

No Time

Betts
Thompson (Ideally Portal Guard)

I actually don't mind this roster. I really don't mind this roster if you add a starting caliber ball-handler. Back on the faith train.

His defensive IQ is what I’ve seen a dramatic improvement in. Offensively he’s still aggressive in the wrong spots, but he took a jump defensively. If he takes that type on the offensive end on his shot selection, he’ll be serviceable (5th best starter). He’s at least a year away like you said from being better than that imo too.
Tonight’s game was not a good example. He was rough on D

Yes, that's how far away this roster is. Obviously they have to be better quality than Samuels, who I said wasn't a B1G player the minute he signed.

That's why we have 1 B1G win over the last year, and why we routinely get blown out.
We didn't get blown out tonight.

Your total obsession with how many 3s and 4s we have on the roster is hilarious. If Garcia and Battle were both in the running for All Big Ten, nobody would be wailing for Greta about 35 forwards.

Your total obsession with how many 3s and 4s we have on the roster is hilarious. If Garcia and Battle were both in the running for All Big Ten, nobody would be wailing for Greta about 35 forwards.
Considering the amount of injuries we had at that position, we are lucky we had that many

Lol. "We didnt get blown out tonight." By Penn Fucking State. At home.

We've fallen so low someone can post this as praise and mean it.

Lol. "We didnt get blown out tonight." By Penn Fucking State. At home.

We've fallen so low someone can post this as praise and mean it.
We are not all little children crying because we want something. Some are capable of recognizing a good effort and team improvement, which showed tonight.

We didn't get blown out at home by a historically worse basketball program, who has a coach in the same year as ours, who is now 6 games ahead of us in the conference. What an accomplishment.

And having so many 4s on the team is exactly why the matchups were so ridiculous last night. Our guards were terrible and Garcia was guarding Pickett, and Ola-Joseph was guarding Njie at the beginning of the game.

Last edited:

Give me your top 9? I'm curious.

I think there's a sneaky chance Christie starts at a wing spot and is effective.

I'll go this way for next year:

Cooper
Battle
Garcia
Payne

Rotation

Carrington
Henley
Ihnen
JOJ
Evans
Fox

No Time

Betts
Thompson (Ideally Portal Guard)

I actually don't mind this roster. I really don't mind this roster if you add a starting caliber ball-handler. Back on the faith train.
Cooper
Battle
Garcia
Payne

This is our current lineup (minus Christie) and we are getting destroyed. If this is our lineup next season (unless Christie is all american as a freshman) we will go 1-19 in conference again.

Cooper
Battle
Garcia
Payne

This is our current lineup (minus Christie) and we are getting destroyed. If this is our lineup next season (unless Christie is all american as a freshman) we will go 1-19 in conference again.
Christie is not ready for B1G play. He is too skinny and he is not a speed guy. He also has a ways to go on D, the games I have seen of him he is getting blown by.

Think if Garcia and Battle turned into KG and Kevin Durant, we wouldn’t need guards at all.

This is a bad argument and my comment is over the top. In order for our guys (Garcia and battle) to get to all Big Ten levels, they would need competent guards to reprieve pressure off them and get them the ball in the right place at the right time. Better low post entries, better outlet passes… you can’t trot out a complete dumpster fire at the fiat positions and think you will have two guys being all conference.

I think there is a fair chance that at least two of those three leave.
👍

Thompson is obviously being shown the door 🚪 by being a pine brother now

It’s more likely that one of the injured twosome hangs it up, rather than both returning IMO.

👍

Thompson is obviously being shown the door 🚪 by being a pine brother now

It’s more likely that one of the injured twosome hangs it up, rather than both returning IMO.
If Fox returns next season, he would have to beat out Battle, Garcia, Ihnen, Payne, Evans, JOJ. I do not see him beating out any of those players for playing time.

Cooper
Battle
Garcia
Payne

Nah- that's 3-4 wins easy. :)

This points out that there is just no way Ben can stand pat. He has to go get a couple of guards that make an impact. I actually think Christie will make an impact as a shooter, but we need speed. The way we play defense is just unacceptable. It's really the worst defensive team I can remember here.

We didn't get blown out at home by a historically worse basketball program, who has a coach in the same year as ours, who is now 6 games ahead of us in the conference. What an accomplishment.

Look, we get it. The Gophers are historically bad this season; clearly the worst team in the conference and one of the absolute worst P6 teams (rivaled by only Cal, Louisville, and South Carolina). Anyone paying attention also understands that this roster is very unbalanced. We don't need you to keep reinforcing these messages.

Unless you are an obsessive compulsive with a one-track mind who is completely lacking in any ability to see or talk about anything not contained in the above paragraph, I'd suggest that you move on. To say that you're becoming a colossal bore would be an understatement. You passed that threshold some time ago.

Look, we get it. The Gophers are historically bad this season; clearly the worst team in the conference and one of the absolute worst P6 teams (rivaled by only Cal, Louisville, and South Carolina). Anyone paying attention also understands that this roster is very unbalanced. We don't need you to keep reinforcing these messages.

Unless you are an obsessive compulsive with a one-track mind who is completely lacking in any ability to see or talk about anything not contained in the above paragraph, I'd suggest that you move on. To say that you're becoming a colossal bore would be an understatement. You passed that threshold some time ago.

What else would you like to talk about during the worst 2 year stretch in program history? This board is already dead, and I’m one of the few posters who still care about the program.

If you don’t want to talk about the current state of the program and how it’s unacceptable to be this bad, and why the future is bleak until significant changes are made, then feel free to ignore me.

Top Bottom