Realistic Assessment of PAC 12 Situation. Outcome Unknown, but Big Ten in Good Position

Here is an opportunity for CBS Sports if I ever see one.

Would the B1G want to grab UCLA instead of Stanford in this scenario? I've always liked the idea of Stanford but if you pull over USC doesn't it make sense that UCLA would follow?

Why would we take UCLA if we have USC? OK State isn’t following OK to SEC. B1G needs two top dogs such as USC and Oregon, or USC/Oregon with Norte Dame.

If possible, I’d take USC, Oregon and then the Washington Huskies. Seattle market is the size of MSP. After that?

If possible, I’d take USC, Oregon and then the Washington Huskies. Seattle market is the size of MSP. After that?
I threw out UCLA based on the USC rivalry but always have liked Stanford.

I threw out UCLA based on the USC rivalry but always have liked Stanford.
If you like the SF Bay Area as a market, a PAC 12 Stanford alternative is “Cal,” the Univ. of California, Berkeley. Has played football since 1886. Fits the high quality, flagship state university model better than private school Stanford.

I hate to be cynical but the current guy at the helm for the B1G strikes me as one who will leap to action about 17 seconds after the music stops and all of the chairs are long, LONG gone

If you like the SF Bay Area as a market, a PAC 12 Stanford alternative is “Cal,” the Univ. of California, Berkeley. Has played football since 1886. Fits the high quality, flagship state university model better than private school Stanford.
I know Cal is there. Stanford has played football sine 1891. When you add athletics to the mix, which is what we're talking here, Stanford stands out compared to Cal. It is consistently ranked higher than Cal academically, and is ranked as a top 5 school in the US and globally. USC is a private school.

Given your criteria, I would take Cal over Oregon. If B1G could only get two Pac12 schools, I'd say USC and UW.

Would the B1G want to grab UCLA instead of Stanford in this scenario? I've always liked the idea of Stanford but if you pull over USC doesn't it make sense that UCLA would follow?
If you take USC and Stanford:

- no politics/political pressure from the UC system (though that doesn't mean they wouldn't try to pull strings with the California state government)
- both are yearly opponents of Notre Dame (ND gets a game out west, every year), so those games (when they're in Cali) become Big Ten home games on our TV package :cool:
- both markets instead of two in LA, but this is not a strong argument for several reasons

Might as well take Stanford too, in that scenario. Top academics/research, Bay Area market with lots of Big Ten alumni (silicon valley). Evens the teams at 18.

If you take Colorado and Kansas for 20, you could do:

West - Washington, Oregon, Stanford, USC, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin
East - NW, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Mich, Mich St, Ohio St, Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers

I know Cal is there. Stanford has played football sine 1891. When you add athletics to the mix, which is what we're talking here, Stanford stands out compared to Cal. It is consistently ranked higher than Cal academically, and is ranked as a top 5 school in the US and globally. USC is a private school.

Given your criteria, I would take Cal over Oregon. If B1G could only get two Pac12 schools, I'd say USC and UW.
Stanford also has a lot of top notch programs in other sports, like for example women's volleyball. (yes I know this doesn't do anything on its own, more of a bonus)

I would think the Bay area would be much more desired over Portland market.
I am not a big fan of Cal or Stanford since I really do not care too much about either as a fan, not to mention the people that live around there do not seem to care much either.

Oregon has the Nike impact and have somehow built a huge national brand from a program that was once on a Purdue or Kansas State level. Point taken and accepted bout the SF/ Oakland market as we took Rutgers and Maryland for the same reasons.

I’m guessing USC/UCLA would be a package deal, neither of them would come unless they both do. I also like the idea of adding Cal/Stanford - both having good/great athletics (at least outside the revenue sports) and high-level academics. I’d add Washington if they wanted in, same with Colorado. That’s a 20-team league if they all want in. I’m indifferent about the Oregon and Arizona schools and probably just don’t know enough about them to form an opinion one way or another (outside the OU/Nike relationship).
But add the LA, Bay Area, Seattle, and Denver markets, plus the high-level academics they add, that’s a juggernaut of a conference that I’m not sure even the SEC can match from a revenue perspective.

I am not a big fan of Cal or Stanford since I really do not care too much about either as a fan, not to mention the people that live around there do not seem to care much either.

Oregon has the Nike impact and have somehow built a huge national brand from a program that was once on a Purdue or Kansas State level. Point taken and accepted bout the SF/ Oakland market as we took Rutgers and Maryland for the same reasons.
Having a B1G school in the heart of silicon valley vs. Portland.

Having a B1G school in the heart of silicon valley vs. Portland.
Yes, you are probably correct, not to mention the Academic part. If the Big Ten took Rutgers, they sure would want Cal and Stanford.
o
I still like Washington a lot as it mirrors the U of M in many ways and I have always wanted to see the old football rivalry re-started.

I’d be good with that. But I’ll bet that if anything happens the B1G would take at least 4, maybe 6.

I’m guessing USC/UCLA would be a package deal, neither of them would come unless they both do. I also like the idea of adding Cal/Stanford - both having good/great athletics (at least outside the revenue sports) and high-level academics. I’d add Washington if they wanted in, same with Colorado. That’s a 20-team league if they all want in. I’m indifferent about the Oregon and Arizona schools and probably just don’t know enough about them to form an opinion one way or another (outside the OU/Nike relationship).
But add the LA, Bay Area, Seattle, and Denver markets, plus the high-level academics they add, that’s a juggernaut of a conference that I’m not sure even the SEC can match from a revenue perspective.
These are fair points. Cal and Stanford have a huge rivalry in a lot of sports. I'm not so sure about USC and UCLA outside of football. Also not confident that USC wouldn't leave for the Big Ten without being able to bring UCLA. But I don't know for sure.

I like adding Oregon, for their national level brand awareness, and I like adding Kansas for bball. But if adding Cal and UCLA is the better move, so be it.

I’d be good with that. But I’ll bet that if anything happens the B1G would take at least 4, maybe 6.
TV contracts are up in 2024 for both?

If something is going to happen, I think it's going to get hashed out here in the next year.

Big Ten raids the crown jewels of the PAC, and then the leftovers merge with the leftovers of the Big XII to form something like a half-step down from a Power conference?

The smart response from ESPN and the SEC and ACC, would be to merge those two and then redistribute all the power teams more evenly between the two, so they're not all stuck in the SEC, with basically just Clemson alone as a super-power in the ACC.

Be interesting to see how things evolve over the next 10-15 years.

Writing off Arizona & ASU would be a mistake.

The Phoenix metro area is larger than both MSP & Seattle (and is growing).

Would be interesting to get to 20 teams again and have 10 on the west coast and 10 in the midwest and the conference championship game could be the rose bowl, but played a month early.

Would be interesting to get to 20 teams again and have 10 on the west coast and 10 in the midwest and the conference championship game could be the rose bowl, but played a month early.
It could be played at the Rose Bowl, but it can't be the official Rose Bowl Game unless it's played on New Year's Day.

That's a contractual requirement that the game has I believe with the city of Pasadena and the Tournament of Roses.

That's one of the issues that the CFP expansion committee is having in trying to figure out how the expanded playoff will work.

Top Bottom