Realignment: Mizzou wanted Big Ten invite the most, now looking to SEC

I read a bunch of the comments on this article...and these SEC boys really hate each other...and they still don't understand why the Big Ten is so much preferred by Mizzou...$$$$$, not football $$$$, that aint nothing compared to the research $$$$$ you get by being part of the Big Ten...we are not just an athletic conference...our research and education consortium is worth hundreds of millions of dollars to Big Ten schools...and Vanderbilt doesn't remotely dominate Northwestern in academics as several suggested.

And once again, KC is not a Mizzou market. It's far more of a KU market, with significant supporters of Nebraska, K-State, and Mizzou making up the remainder of the college fans. It's easy to say that Mizzou brings in two major media markets because they're both in the state of Missouri, but that's simply not the case. Nebraska is a much bigger program in terms of overall support.

I would rank Missouri marginally ahead of Nebraska academically, but neither school really fits in the Big Ten academically. At least at the time Nebraska was invited, it had the patina of legitimacy that comes with AAU membership. Of course, that went down in flames this year when Nebraska was voted out.

The best overall fit was and still is Notre Dame.

Not necessarily. Strictly looking at schools and grading them on how they'd fit the Big Ten culture, I'd say Pitt is hands down the best fit for the Big Ten. (I was on the campus recently and I was amazed at how similar it felt to the U). Unfortunately they'll never be invited because PSU already has the media market covered. They'd fit in perfectly academically, have fairly strong athletics, and have one of the best medical schools in the country. Notre Dame has a great undergrad program, but I don't really don't think they'd fit in with the Big Ten at all. No matter how good their football program is (was), a smallish, Catholic, predominantly undergrad-oriented school doesn't jive well with major research universities. And I say this as a person who pulls for the Irish in addition to the Gophers each Saturday.

And once again, KC is not a Mizzou market. It's far more of a KU market, with significant supporters of Nebraska, K-State, and Mizzou making up the remainder of the college fans. It's easy to say that Mizzou brings in two major media markets because they're both in the state of Missouri, but that's simply not the case. Nebraska is a much bigger program in terms of overall support.

It doesn't really matter if KC is a 'Mizzou' market versus a 'KU' market. How many of them watch the Mizzou games is very secondary. The only thing that matters is will the big cable companies/Dish Network agree to consider it part of the 'footprint' where they put BTN on basic cable and pay the $0.30-$1.00/subsriber/month fee. The answer is almost certainly yes, as most of the big companies have already agreed to do this everywhere in the B1G footprint. That is why Mizzou/Nebraska is not such a slam dunk. Those subsciber fees add up fast.

Mizzou's bigger, better academics, better research university (kind of like a bigten school). Nebraska is football. Should Nebraska backslide to mediocrity in football, what did the BT get besides nothing.
Look at the population of the State of Missouri 5,987,580 and the State of Nebraska 1,796,619. Nebraska got into the Big Ten based upon its record since Bob Devaney became their head coach. If it were not for the Cornhuskers' winning ways, we would have expanded with the Tigers, hands down. One thing that makes Missouri not fit the Big Ten is that it was a slave state, but I reckon few people care today.

That's a whole lot of travel for West Virginia's non-rev sports, but it fits right in with the chaos going on in college sports. Let's see what I can get right:

- Big 12 loses Texas A&M. Adds TCU who were going to the Big East. Talks about adding one or two more schools.

- Missouri is getting legal issues out of the way before leaving Big 12 and heading to the SEC.

- Big East loses Pitt and Syracuse to ACC. Rutgers and UConn beg ACC to become members.

- Notre Dame hasn't said "yes" to offers from Big East, ACC, Big Ten and/or Big 12. They do add to their football deal with NBC by adding hockey to it. Games with "Hockey East".

- Boise State is in their first season in a new league. They are now exploring a jump to the Big East with three/four other Western Schools. This would make the Big East eligible for a playoff and let it keep it's BCS bid.

- The Mountain West and Conference USA talk about a football merger.

- The BCS, ah, NCAA Commissioner talks about paying students $2,000 for playing sports, putting pressure on the smaller schools to keep up.

..and I probably missed a lot more.

So College Football appeals to the traditionalists among us?:eek:

I believe it's the Mountain West and Conference USA talking about a merger?

Yep, will fix it. Though, ironically enough, the WAC spawned the MWC when schools that wouldn't travel to Hawaii left.

Now the Big East is meeting with the MWC and Conference USA about forming a single football conference.

The three conferences are considering creating a nationwide football superconference of 28 to 32 teams, with the goal of gaining an automatic Bowl Championship Series qualifying bid, according to multiple reports.

That a LOT of teams.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7148713/big-east-meet-conference-usa-mountain-west

SIMON-CONFUSED-GIF.gif

Now the Big East is meeting with the MWC and Conference USA about forming a single football conference.

The three conferences are considering creating a nationwide football superconference of 28 to 32 teams, with the goal of gaining an automatic Bowl Championship Series qualifying bid, according to multiple reports.

That a LOT of teams.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7148713/big-east-meet-conference-usa-mountain-west

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...st-virginia-leaving-big-east-joining-big-12/1

A ton of teams doesn't make a good conference. I don't understand what the strategic point of this is. This would be an absolute joke.

KSTP 1500 now states that the Big 12 has put West Virginia on hold. Maybe somebody looked at a map?

KSTP 1500 now states that the Big 12 has put West Virginia on hold. Maybe somebody looked at a map?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...nia-mountaineers-move-big-12-hold-source-says

The New York Times reported Wednesday that U.S. Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, had lobbied Big 12 officials including David Boren, the president of the University of Oklahoma and a former senator, to include Louisville in expansion plans. The Times quoted a person with direct knowledge of the plans as saying: "I think it's 50-50 right now between West Virginia and Louisville."

One possible holdup is that Missouri, expected by many to join the SEC, has yet to formally withdraw from the Big 12. Last week, the Missouri Board of Curators authorized school chancellor Brady Deaton the right to make a final call on whether to leave the Big 12.

"We're not looking at a long time frame," Deaton said on Friday. "We want to confirm where we are ... as rapidly as possible."

Meanwhile, Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that he is actively lobbying the Big East and its member schools to add Memphis and Temple, regardless of whether the Big East adds Central Florida, Houston or SMU.

Apparently OU and TT both want Louisville, Texas wants WVU. I'd think Kansas would want Louisville as well to keep the basketball marquee of the Conference up, though WVU is just as good the last 5 years.

Top Bottom