Reading between lines, expect fans to be present?

They better actually enforce it of that's the route they are planning to go.

Face masks + outdoors + reasonable precautions should allow for a managed 50% capacity (alternating seats, rows, etc). It wouldn't look that different than pre-November 2019 Gopher football.

I still don't think it happens. We live in an era where theoretically saving one life is more important than many thousands being able to continue living theirs.

Face masks + outdoors + reasonable precautions should allow for a managed 50% capacity (alternating seats, rows, etc).

I believe something like this is correct. Maybe not 50%, maybe only 25%. But something along there.

Face masks + outdoors + reasonable precautions should allow for a managed 50% capacity (alternating seats, rows, etc).

I believe something like this is correct. Maybe not 50%, maybe only 25%. But something along there.

I agree as well. Some combination of the above.

Minnesota has been packing hundreds of mask-less young adults into crowded indoor bars for weeks now. They laugh, sing, shout, make-out, meet strangers, close-talk, taste each other’s drinks.

We have been allowing all of this since mid-June, but won’t allow sports (or maybe even school) in September?

Same right back at you.
If we are too restrictive, and it turns out we didn't need to be: we don't lose much.
If we aren't restrictive enough, and it turns out we should have been more: we unnecessarily lose hundreds of thousands of lives.

Guess which option the decision makers are going with?

I've got no problem continuing to wear masks and wearing them at games if required. Doesn't change the fact that nationally hospitalizations and deaths are continuing to trend down every week but people act like it's going in the opposite direction because cases are rising.

Minnesota's been pretty open for a month and hospitalizations are ICU usage are about half of what they were at the peak and keep trending down.

Minnesota has been packing hundreds of mask-less young adults into crowded indoor bars for weeks now. They laugh, sing, shout, make-out, meet strangers, close-talk, taste each other’s drinks.

We have been allowing all of this since mid-June, but won’t allow sports (or maybe even school) in September?

And those kids were packing the bars in Hudson and Lacrosse just across the river for a few extra weeks on top of that because Wisconsin opened earlier.

The chicken littles keep telling me, just wait, sky is falling any day now. Talk about moving goal posts.

I've got no problem continuing to wear masks and wearing them at games if required. Doesn't change the fact that nationally hospitalizations and deaths are continuing to trend down every week but people act like it's going in the opposite direction because cases are rising.

Minnesota's been pretty open for a month and hospitalizations are ICU usage are about half of what they were at the peak and keep trending down.
Minnesota is an outlier though, and arguably because we had such an intelligent, regulated sequence of opening.

Bolded: this is the whole enchilada. It's just too early, give it time. If we're sitting in the middle of August, and a surge in deaths never happens, then that data will influence decisions for the fall. I predict, in that case, that the nation will cautiously continue on, with limited capacity large gatherings and required mask usage until hopefully the vaccine is ready at the end of the year.

Everyone just wants to get to the end of the year and hope like hell the vaccine is ready.

They're going to treat any kind of vaccine like a magic wand. Whatever happens after that, and I'm sure it won't go exactly perfectly, then you're really going to see hand washing.

Minnesota is an outlier though, and arguably because we had such an intelligent, regulated sequence of opening.

Bolded: this is the whole enchilada. It's just too early, give it time. If we're sitting in the middle of August, and a surge in deaths never happens, then that data will influence decisions for the fall. I predict, in that case, that the nation will cautiously continue on, with limited capacity large gatherings and required mask usage until hopefully the vaccine is ready at the end of the year.

Everyone just wants to get to the end of the year and hope like hell the vaccine is ready.

They're going to treat any kind of vaccine like a magic wand. Whatever happens after that, and I'm sure it won't go exactly perfectly, then you're really going to see hand washing.

I don't disagree with anything your saying other than it sounds like your moving the goal posts out to mid August and the fact that Taj was predicting it would be the optimists moving out the goal posts was why I started commenting in the first place.

I don't disagree with anything your saying other than it sounds like your moving the goal posts out to mid August and the fact that Taj was predicting it would be the optimists moving out the goal posts was why I started commenting in the first place.
Taj responded to GoldenRodent's post #9, that said by September

If we are too restrictive, and it turns out we didn't need to be: we don't lose much.
If we aren't restrictive enough, and it turns out we should have been more: we unnecessarily lose hundreds of thousands of lives.

Guess which option the decision makers are going with?
Yeah for sure.
This is what they’ve been going with and as more and more evidence poors in it will be interesting to see what it says and the direction that takes policy

Taji34 was responding to the comment that the virus is weakening and dying out. Daily average cases in the US have nearly doubled in the last three weeks, with 30+ states' cases increasing. MN is one of the roughly dozen states where it has been relatively flat.

Yep, that's why we have such strict airport security. inconvenience millions of people to save a small number. It's the right thing to do.
Interesting thought!

Where have been all the people screaming and demanding that having to go through a security line is a violation of their freedom???

Interesting thought!

Where have been all the people screaming and demanding that having to go through a security line is a violation of their freedom???
I think it would be more accurate if the example was not allowing air travel for people since a few might die. Seems all here in favor of a little inconvenience in order to attend a game (or fly in a plane). Or did I miss something.

Taji34 was responding to the comment that the virus is weakening and dying out. Daily average cases in the US have nearly doubled in the last three weeks, with 30+ states' cases increasing. MN is one of the roughly dozen states where it has been relatively flat.

Relatively flat in cases, trending down for hospitalizations and death. Fewer deaths per positive case sounds like it's weaker.

The rest of the country trending up in cases sharply, also trending flat in hospitalizations and down in deaths. Sounds weaker.

If this disease runs it's course in 2 weeks roughly and we've doubled in cases (nationally) in the last three weeks, then if you think it is just as strong as it has been we should have double the hospitalizations and deaths in two weeks. Bold prediction, that won't happen. And two weeks from now we will talk about how those stats must lag 4 weeks behind, then we will talk about how they lag 6 weeks behind, that's the moving goal posts I'm talking about.

Same right back at you.
Look, if I am wrong I will happily admit so. I am in an at risk group, and would love to get back to normal life if it turns out it is safe to. But for fun, how about we actually analyze the comment I responded to, shall we?

The virus is weaking and dying out.
While I will concede, since hospitalizations and deaths are still trending down, it does look like the effects of the virus are weakening due to new treatements and hospitals catching up and having ICU beds for everyone. However, as you said in an earlier post, cases are still rising so it can't really be argued that the virus is "dying out" at all.

By September everyone will be embarrassed by this freakout, don't be a dead-ender.
September is fast approaching, 2 months. I am fairly confident the virus will still be around then, and even if it is far safer to catch, I don't think anyone is going to be embarrassed about being wrong about a pandemic? Most scientists will probably be like "Wow we were wrong, but now we have data to analyze so that we won't be wrong in the future".

Like, don't project "being embarrassed about being too careful" onto everyone, because most people I know don't get embarrassed by that.

I think it would be more accurate if the example was not allowing air travel for people since a few might die. Seems all here in favor of a little inconvenience in order to attend a game (or fly in a plane). Or did I miss something.
I think they are referring broadly to the number of people around the country who are acting like this when told they have to wear masks inside businesses.

The capacity issue isn't so much about seats/rows, it's about the crowding at the gates, concourses and bathrooms. For that reason, I think it will be 50% or less.

The capacity issue isn't so much about seats/rows, it's about the crowding at the gates, concourses and bathrooms. For that reason, I think it will be 50% or less.

Yeah when I think of it contact in the seats you can manage.

You always manage everyone in the seats as it is with tickets and such ....

The issue is when we go to roam about to do other things.

The virus is not weakening, it's infecting 20 year olds at bars instead of 80 year olds in nursing homes. The death rates will follow whatever demographic it spreads through next. If it's 60 year olds at sporting events, it won't look as 'weak' as it does now.

come back and talk to me in three weeks

Top Bottom