Raymond Cottman - New Commit

Welcome to the U Cottman!

I'm not a rivals insider but it sounds like he's gonna be on campus in a month. Color me intrigued.

Interesting. What does this say about the Gopher's plan for Gary Tinsley?

Way to stay on top of things. Obviously recruiting a JUCO LB can only mean that our coaching staff plans for GT to take up residence at an Oakdale address and therefore needs immediate help at the position. You and I both know that means grabbing a JUCO LB who hasn't played a single "hut-hut" at a D1 school, but who will now be counted on to replace a promising B10 player. That's what I love about this board, nothing escapes our flinty-eyed attention.

Way to stay on top of things. Obviously recruiting a JUCO LB can only mean that our coaching staff plans for GT to take up residence at an Oakdale address and therefore needs immediate help at the position. You and I both know that means grabbing a JUCO LB who hasn't played a single "hut-hut" at a D1 school, but who will now be counted on to replace a promising B10 player. That's what I love about this board, nothing escapes our flinty-eyed attention.

Kind of a dickish response, isn't it?

This probably has nothing to do with GT, but it wouldn't even crack the top 500 stupid questions that get asked on here in my book.

I don't think it is an outlandish question about what this might mean about Gary Tinsley. We signed a kid who plays a similar position (who wasn't that highley recruited elsewhere) who happens to play a position where we are immedietly thin (partly because of the off the field activities of one, Gary Tinsley.

It probably isn't connected. However, I don't think it's absurd to think that with Maresh's and Tinsley's behaviorial problems, depth at MLB (immedietly) could certainly be a priority. My question is this, if everything was locked up with Tinsley, what would the need for a JuCo MLBer be? We'd be set there.

With the depth we potentially have there he might be a candidate to have ready but maybe redshirt if things work out as is. I know that they don't like to redshirt JUCO's, but they are developing some depth. This is good.

Is getting two tickets for underage drinking while in college really a ¨behavioral problem¨?

Here is a Scout story:

Glendale (Az.) Community College linebacker Ray Cottman lands unexpected offer, commits on spot

It is always tough for a kid with high aspirations to come away from a very successful high school career and not reach his goal of attaining a division-one scholarship but former Tucson (Az.) Ironwood Ridge linebacker Ray Cottman didn't give up. He signed a JUCO LOI with Glendale (Az.) Community College and made the most of it.

Today Cottman received a late offer from the University of Minnesota and committed on the spot.

The interest from the Golden Gophers came about suddenly. Cottman (6-1 230) says he was contacted by Coach Lee just a few weeks ago.

"I sent him my highlights and transcripts and we have been in touch since then," Cottman says. "He told me last week that I was one of the top three they were looking at. He was in California recruiting and flew over here to see me. He told me previously that if he liked what he saw that he would be offering and that is what he did."

Cottman continues, "Going D1 after one year in junior college is a dream come true and going to the Big 10 at that."

Cottman insists that having to go the JC route did not discourage him. "I just drove my self harder. Going to GCC made me a better person and a better player. It was just a great opportunity for me."

Cottman will have four years to play three at the next level. Ray helped the Gauchos to a 7-5 record in 2009 and a #19 ranking in the final NJCAA poll. He recorded 47 tackles and 2 sacks.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/968359.html

Go Gophers!!

Not a Good Sign

When you are taking guys late who are completely off the radar screen, well, that is not a good sign. No other way to cook it. 72nd ranked recruiting class and now this grasping for obsure players who may have potential. May. May not.

So, is this for this coming year? It seems he will be a sophomore (hs class of '09). If so, they offered a guy who may have more offers next year and because of perceived need, offered him early. I don't mind.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flEoAXxPeo

Yes, he'll be joining the team this fall. He was a full qualifier out of high school, so he's not obligated to earn an AA degree.

When you are taking guys late who are completely off the radar screen, well, that is not a good sign. No other way to cook it. 72nd ranked recruiting class and now this grasping for obsure players who may have potential. May. May not.

Grasping? Linebacker is exactly a position where we need to be grasping for players.

1) Some kids are late bloomers. This kid got significantly bigger in just one year which says to me he could continue to develop. 2) This kid was driven enough to play big time ball that he turned down lesser schollies and went to Juco to play his way into a D1 offer. 3) He doesn´t play a position of immediate need so he can come in, red shirt, develop and hopefully in 2-3 years or so be ready to play. 4) Go re-read MV´s Q & A with Mike Sherrels. Brew is bringing in thoughobreds, not mules. If we picked this guy up it´s because they feel he´s got potential and would likely have gotten bigger offers had we waited.

Didnt you see though, this kid is a 5-star recruit!! Of course thats based on the ratings of three Rivals users.. (Sarcasm)

Welcome aboard!

I am pretty sure this is meant to be an insurance policy against injury this fall. Also, I can guarantee Tinsley isn't going to jail for his first DWI. Mark my word, Tinsley will plead guilty and accept his punishment. He'll be reinstated, practice with the team, and miss a couple games.

Top Bottom