Ratings increases for a lot of Gopher recruits

Willwin40

Reaction score
I appears a lot of Gopher recruits got a boost in their ratings. Take a look at the 247 commits.

It's bumping season now that senior film is out.

Just went and looked and noticed that Michigan State has 9 4* and 1 3* in their class of 10. We'll see how many transfers they take and if it equates to success.

It's bumping season now that senior film is out.

Just went and looked and noticed that Michigan State has 9 4* and 1 3* in their class of 10. We'll see how many transfers they take and if it equates to success.
They had 9 four stars before the bump, no one bumped up a star.

I also see the lower 2 guys rose from .83 something to .84 something. Not a lot, but still good for them.

Stars past the obvious 5 stars that Gramma can pick out mean nothing. people put way to much on stars that is a made up thing by recruiting services, boards and the media focused on them. Any recruiting class can be great and a group of 4 stars can be a bust including any 5 star. Yea yea, somebody will post how OSU and Alabama are good because of all the 5 stars. Pat Mahomes was a 3 star. Justin Jefferson, 3star. Winfield, 3 star. Stars are worthless to us and everyone else except for the perennial top 7 teams.

Stars past the obvious 5 stars that Gramma can pick out mean nothing. people put way to much on stars that is a made up thing by recruiting services, boards and the media focused on them. Any recruiting class can be great and a group of 4 stars can be a bust including any 5 star. Yea yea, somebody will post how OSU and Alabama are good because of all the 5 stars. Pat Mahomes was a 3 star. Justin Jefferson, 3star. Winfield, 3 star. Stars are worthless to us and everyone else except for the perennial top 7 teams.
From a perception standpoint it helps the fans who obsess over stars when a guy goes from a 3* to a 4* but outside of that I fully agree that they are meaningless for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad some of our future guys are getting ratings bumps but they are still the exact same prospect they were before the boost so it shouldn't change anyone's opinion about them. And yet sadly it does.

Virtually everything in this post is incorrect.

The last time I looked with 17 recruits we were 42. Now, after the boost we are 43.
Here is a link, you can check it out:
247 Team Rankings
Our recruits got a boost but other teams recruits also got a boost so there won’t necessarily be an increase in the team rating.

The last time I looked with 17 recruits we were 42. Now, after the boost we are 43.
Here is a link, you can check it out:
247 Team Rankings
Why anyone pays any attention to the team rankings at this point is beyond me. They were pretty worthless before the transfer portal exploded....they are completely pointless now.

This is pretty consistently refuted.

Why anyone pays any attention to the team rankings at this point is beyond me. They were pretty worthless before the transfer portal exploded....they are completely pointless now.
Ultimately you want to be in the same range as your main competitors. From there it comes down to deployment and development

How do you feel about high 3-star versus mid 3-star players? IALTO

"The exceptions are the rule"

Yeh, 17 to 20 new additions to the team. Why would anybody care? Recruiting doesn’t even matter, right?
You know you can combine the two together? But it’s still going to require analyzing both pieces to get a total big picture rating. So why not see how this piece of the puzzle looks at the first signing date which is pretty much the only one we use?
You logic how it is insignificant baffles me.
Not the only piece but an important one.

Yeh, 17 to 20 new additions to the team. Why would anybody care? Recruiting doesn’t even matter, right?
You know you can combine the two together? But it’s still going to require analyzing both pieces to get a total big picture rating. So why not see how this piece of the puzzle looks at the first signing date which is pretty much the only one we use?
You logic how it is insignificant baffles me.
Not the only piece but an important one.
There is no way any recruiting site has the ability to look at our class and say it is the 44th best class in the country. So getting hung up on the number or ranking is a waste of time.

Recruiting matters, finding the right players matters, finding the highest rated players on paper doesn't matter.

A recruiting class should be evaluated multiple years after signing day. How many of the players stayed, how many left, how many became starters and how many will never see the field. All things that can't be known on signing day.

The important part in recruiting is that we are brining in talent that is on par with the teams we can realistically be expected to recruit with (Iowa, Wisconsin.....). From there it all comes down to finding the right players that can be successful.

a thought:

with the increased emphasis on the portal, I suspect that a lot of teams are not going to take as many "chances" on their HS recruits, which will skew team rankings.

in the old days, you'd see a kid and think, "well, a couple of years in the weight room and the right coaching, he could be a player."

but today, you can go in the portal and get instant help that you don't need to spend two years developing.

So, I suspect that some (not all) teams will prioritize 4* and very high 3* recruits. once you reach your quota for HS recruits, you go to the portal to fill out the roster. as a result, teams will have an overall higher average with fewer HS recruits.

that leaves a lot of HS kids with potential sitting out there waiting for someone to take a chance on them. But every HS kid that doesn't pan out takes up a spot that could have been used for a portal player.

There is no way any recruiting site has the ability to look at our class and say it is the 44th best class in the country. So getting hung up on the number or ranking is a waste of time.

Recruiting matters, finding the right players matters, finding the highest rated players on paper doesn't matter.

A recruiting class should be evaluated multiple years after signing day. How many of the players stayed, how many left, how many became starters and how many will never see the field. All things that can't be known on signing day.

The important part in recruiting is that we are brining in talent that is on par with the teams we can realistically be expected to recruit with (Iowa, Wisconsin.....). From there it all comes down to finding the right players that can be successful.
I will add that coaching is more important than a ranking as well.

Ratings are even less important now with the portal as transfers all have to be reevaluated. Getting 2020 4* that has never seen the field is different than getting a 2019 2* that is all conference at the FBS level.

Still crazy to go through the portal and see how many players have yet to commit one week out from signing day.

Looking at ratings I'm curious if one of the MN HS kids is going to be able to step in and play next fall at guard, as we've yet to find one in the portal.

What I want to know is are we missing out recruits because of NIL money. Supposedly the Ohio State missed out on a 5 star because they couldn’t match the 1.5 million signing bonus that he received from Georgia. Sad

Top Bottom