Rating B1G Coaches' Salaries PJ Underpaid?

nitramnaed

Reaction score
Per Saturday Tradition:

BIG TEN

Pay grade: Rating Big Ten football coaching salaries​

Alex Hickey
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...de-rating-big-ten-football-coaching-salaries/

The financial details of Jim Harbaugh’s restructured contract with Michigan were revealed Thursday. At an average of $7.3 million per year over the next 5 years, Harbaugh is now the 4th-highest paid coach in the Big Ten.
This got us thinking, as these things always do — who among Big Ten coaches is overpaid? Who is underpaid? And how many coaches are making the proper amount for their services?
To be clear, this grading is being done on a relative scale. One could make a compelling argument that all of these coaches are overpaid given that the players aren’t, but that’s a discussion for another time.
We are working strictly within the framework of the market rate for other football coaches.

Bret Bielema, Illinois​

Salary: $4.2 million
Record at Illinois: 5-7
Verdict: Just right
Bielema is making a little bit more than his position warrants, but given his previous B1G success at Wisconsin, it’s a fair price.

Tom Allen, Indiana​

Salary: $4.7 million
Record at Indiana: 26-32
Allen docked $200,000 off of his pay for 2022 following Indiana’s awful 2021 season. That 2-10 debacle brought his career record at IU under .500, erasing his phenomenal feat of becoming the first Hoosiers football coach since Bo McMillan (1934-47) to have a winning record.

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa​

Salary: $7 million
Record at Iowa: 178-110
You could make the argument that Ferentz was underpaid in the grand scheme of things prior to this offseason, but that was rectified with a new deal from Iowa in January. He’s now scheduled to coach there through the end of the decade, which would mark the 50th anniversary of the Hawkeyes hiring Hayden Fry.
Though his conservatism on offense can be frustrating — especially with his son being the coordinator — most programs would gladly trade excitement for Iowa’s stability.

Mike Locksley, Maryland​

Salary: $2.53 million
Record at Maryland: 13-23
Locksley draws the lowest salary in the Big Ten, and given his record, it is easy to understand why that’s the case. But if he can build on this year’s 7-6 finish, a raise is certainly in order.

Jim Harbaugh, Michigan​

Salary: $7.3 million
Record at Michigan: 61-24
Verdict: Overpaid

I don’t anticipate it will remain the case for much longer, but at the moment Harbaugh makes more money than Georgia’s Kirby Smart. If you don’t understand why that’s silly, feel free to re-watch the Orange Bowl.
On the other side of the coin, Harbaugh only being the 4th-highest paid coach in the B1G feels like a bit of a lowball. So if you’re viewing it from that lens, it’s possible to make the argument he’s underpaid.

Mel Tucker, Michigan State​

Salary: $9.5 million per year
Record at Michigan State: 13-7
Tucker makes as much as Brian Kelly (LSU) and less than Nick Saban (Alabama) and Lincoln Riley (USC). And that’s the list of people taking home as much or more pay in college football.
Which, given Tucker’s actual accomplishments, is preposterous. He has 1 winning season as a head coach.
Granted, Saban is the reason Tucker is making this money. As in, Michigan State did not want to see a repeat of Saban leaving for the SEC and turning another program into a national power.
Given Michigan State’s trajectory from Year 1 to Year 2 of Tucker’s tenure, he certainly could prove worth the investment. I’d even say it’s more likely than not. But even seemingly sure bets don’t always pay out. And this still qualifies as a gamble by Michigan State.

PJ Fleck, Minnesota​

Salary: $5 million
Record at Minnesota: 35-23
Verdict: Underpaid
Our first coach on the list to grab the “underpaid” mantle.
The last Minnesota coach to make it through at least 4 seasons with a winning percentage above .600? Bernie Bierman, who won 5 national championships and retired in 1950.
A Big Ten championship game appearance remains the still-elusive goal for the Golden Gophers, though it does seem likely they would have made it there last season if not for a rash of running back injuries.

Scott Frost, Nebraska​

Salary: $4 million
Record at Nebraska: 15-29
It was once unthinkable that the coach at Nebraska would be making the same money as the coach at Iowa State, but that’s where Frost is at after taking a pay cut for another shot at turning the Huskers into winners.
Frost has the worst winning percentage of any Cornhusker coach since Bill Jennings (1957-61), but his salary reduction makes the cost of keeping him for another season palatable.

Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern​

Salary: $5.7 million
Record at Northwestern: 109-90
This is the toughest job in the Big Ten, and the fact Fitzgerald has a winning record at Northwestern is proof that he’s doing it well. Ara Parseghian is most recent Northwestern coach to finish above .500 in Evanston, and he left for Notre Dame in 1963.

Ryan Day, Ohio State​

Salary: $7.6 million

Record at Ohio State: 34-4
The contract extension Day signed in 2020 included a nice $900,000 boost from what he made in 2021, and that brings him to a pretty appropriate figure for the Big Ten market in 2022.
As is always the case when a coach takes over for a legend, critics are able to say he’s won with his predecessor’s guys. But heading into Year 4, it’s pretty much all Day’s guys at this point. If the Buckeyes win another Big Ten title, he’ll be due a raise.

James Franklin, Penn State​

Salary: $7.5 million
Record at Penn State: 67-34
Franklin’s old salary of $5.5 million was somewhere between underpaid and just right, but Penn State decided to grant him a major raise and 10-year contract extension despite back-to-back underwhelming seasons.
He may prove worth it if the Nittany Lions bounce back in 2022, but at the moment this deal raises eyebrows.

Jeff Brohm, Purdue​

Salary: $4.8 million
Record at Purdue: 28-29
It’s been a wild ride for Brohm, who appeared to have the Boilermakers building ahead of schedule his first 2 seasons only to regress to losing records in the next 2 seasons. It finally came together in 2021 with an 8-4 regular season and a dramatic Music City Bowl win.
If the Boilers win the West in 2022, he’ll be due a raise.

Greg Schiano, Rutgers​

Salary: $4 million
Record at Rutgers: 76-81
A slight overpay on face value, but Schiano is deserving of extra compensation for how he reinvented the Rutgers program from 2001-11.
The Scarlet Knights aren’t ready to be competitive in the Big Ten yet, but with a nice signing class coming in, Schiano might be planting the seeds of his next Rutgers turnaround.

Paul Chryst, Wisconsin​

Salary: $5.25 million
Record at Wisconsin: 65-23
Verdict: Underpaid
Thanks to a $900,000 raise from 2021, Chryst moves from wildly underpaid to just slightly underpaid.
Chryst has accomplished a heck of a lot more than most of the guys making more money than he is, winning the West 3 times and twice being named the Big Ten coach of the year. It certainly feels like he should be getting paid on par with Fitzgerald. But at least Wisconsin finally realized Chryst shouldn’t be making less than Allen or Brohm.

Market based pay for college FB coaches is getting out of hand. But that's the reality.

Since they are not directly paid by the school…whatever.

If you don’t like it, don’t support the advertisers, sponsors, and show general distain for the megabuck donors.

Cmon folks.

I think he is paid what he is worth at this point. He has not won the west. But I do question their opinions. I believe Kirt ( Iowa) Pat (Northwestern) have both won the west once but Pat is making 1.3 less a year and due to academic is harder to recruit to.

$4.2 million
5-7
Just right

$4.7 million
26-32
Just right

$2.53 million
13-23
Just right

$4 million
15-29
Just right

$4.8 million
28-29
Just right

$4 million
76-81
Just right

Damn...I am in the wrong industry.

It is what the market will pay, win or not. I believe PJ still has room for a higher salary but he needs a championship of some sort to get there. Its all funny money.

No question he could make more somewhere else
No question none of these coaches are overpaid or underpaid

they are all paid a contract agreed upon by both parties

I think he could get paid more money elsewhere but I don't think he could do it with the same amount of job security.

Seems about in line for what he has done. He is not sought after elsewhere for more. The big jobs that were open did not come after him.

It is a crazy mixed up world. If Big Ten media rights go to $1 Billion per year...all these guys will be picketing for more money. Until then, Beat Iowa, beat Wisconsin, win the West, win the BiG Ten title and PJ is vastly underpaid.

I think he is paid what he is worth at this point. He has not won the west. But I do question their opinions. I believe Kirt ( Iowa) Pat (Northwestern) have both won the west once but Pat is making 1.3 less a year and due to academic is harder to recruit to.

They have both won the West twice actually. What Fitz has done at Northwestern is pretty incredible. Not only what he's done there but the fact that he's stayed there when I'm sure he's had plenty of opportunities to go somewhere that is a little easier to build a winning program.

PJ's pay seems in line with what he has done so far.

It's one of those guys on the cusp of way more / an increase too.

I'd be happy to commit to him long term also if that was an option.

They have both won the West twice actually. What Fitz has done at Northwestern is pretty incredible. Not only what he's done there but the fact that he's stayed there when I'm sure he's had plenty of opportunities to go somewhere that is a little easier to build a winning program.
I think people understand Pat Fitzgerald doesn't want to go anywhere else so ... he doesn't get mentioned much.

But if he wanted to move on I think he'd be "in the conversation" / rumored for just about every job available.

The only real salary in the conference that doesn't make sense based on the program and what the coach has accomplished is Tucker at Michigan State. MSU paid a ridiculous amount for a guy who does not have the track record to back it up yet. Maybe the gamble pays off for them, but have to think their expectations will be sky high given what they are paying, and winning at a really high level in the East is not an easy proposition with OSU, MICH and PSU all in your division.

I think people understand Pat Fitzgerald doesn't want to go anywhere else so ... he doesn't get mentioned much.

But if he wanted to move on I think he'd be "in the conversation" / rumored for just about every job available.
Agreed, and being private, they don't report his salary or total comp, so I am guessing he has some pretty nice additional perqs.

Get to Indy, sooner rather than later, and I'll bang the drum for him to get more money. Until then, he's just going to have to find a way to make ends meet.

Fitzgerald would be a slam dunk for any NFL job he wanted if he had any desire to leave Northwestern.

These high salaries are a sign of the times and are market based. How things have changed since Murray Warmath was paid $25.000 per year in 1960 when the Gophers won the national title. The Gophers routinely had larger crowds then than now. TV revenues over the years has changed the landscape. It is what it is but IMO it is getting out of hand.

These high salaries are a sign of the times and are market based. How things have changed since Murray Warmath was paid $25.000 per year in 1960 when the Gophers won the national title. The Gophers routinely had larger crowds then than now. TV revenues over the years has changed the landscape. It is what it is but IMO it is getting out of hand.
You don't have to go back to Warmath, just look at how much coaches salaries have changed since the Mason days roughly 15 years ago.

Saw a story that in 2006 the average head football coach salary across all teams was 950K. I think Mason was making 1.5 mil or something like that. I know coordinators were making low 6 figures and assistants were making under 100K.

Now there are millionaire coordinators, the average head coach salary is way higher and at the power 5 level you would probably be hard pressed to find any position coach making less than 100K. Coaching salaries have exploded in recent years and the trend just keeps going up. There is a tipping point but not sure what it is and don't think we have come close to reaching it yet.

For reference to everyone, accounting for inflation that salary equates to $237,456.08/yr in today's money.

Top Bottom