Rate the last 3 awful coaches

Who gets to decide what the standards are for a great coach?
Just like fans can have their own opinion on what is great. Different for a lot of people. We have fans who think under .500 and one tourney victory is great. We have fans who think 40-71 is good. Is that a good fan ? For me a great coach wins conference titles , goes to final 4's and wins a national title out of something they built. Each person can decide for themselves. The big difference is we do not get fired as a fan, we never got hired. Losing coaches get fired so there is a final say for coaches but no one can make a fan suffer failure.

Pitino is worst hes had the most top level support and facilities finally and done nothing

And just like football none of our f*cking best Minnesota in state players stay home and represent the state. That’s why we r better off having no high school talent in either sport when all that happens is feeding our competition and top rivals

And just like football none of our f*cking best Minnesota in state players stay home and represent the state. That’s why we r better off having no high school talent in either sport when all that happens is feeding our competition and top rivals
What ? Most elite programs rarely keep the in state kids home. These kids from all over, go all over. Scout better, coach better.

You can't blame Pitino for the decisions of 18 year old kids. It's certainly not a lack of effort on his part... you think he WANTED to get up at 5 AM to go to Dawson Garcia's high school shootarounds? And then he loses him to Marquette of all places.

What ? Most elite programs rarely keep the in state kids home. These kids from all over, go all over. Scout better, coach better.
Ur badgers and Nebraska keep almost all there top talent in state. Definitely have it walled off compared to Minnesota especially in football

Last edited:

Ur badgers and Nebraska keep almost all there top talent in state. Definitely have it walled off compared to Minnesota
Wisconsin and nebraska only have like 2 guys from in state that are even a factor. Nebraska has no in state talent any year! My drink is bacardi diet! Not sure what yours is, but please have another!

Well idk about neb b-ball talent but they get some fball 4 stars occasionally in state that always stay. And a couple in state studs multiplies when our top dumb*ss kids go join neighboring rivals. Go look at both schools and football recruiting while I’m enjoying this Clamato as we speak

Just like fans can have their own opinion on what is great. Different for a lot of people. We have fans who think under .500 and one tourney victory is great. We have fans who think 40-71 is good. Is that a good fan ? For me a great coach wins conference titles , goes to final 4's and wins a national title out of something they built. Each person can decide for themselves. The big difference is we do not get fired as a fan, we never got hired. Losing coaches get fired so there is a final say for coaches but no one can make a fan suffer failure.
Built, why do you always have to go there and imply that anyone that supports Pitino wants mediocre results. That is so condescending.

Built, why do you always have to go there and imply that anyone that supports Pitino wants mediocre results. That is so condescending.
I do not think that at all. I am supporting him now. Pointing out that each person can decide for themselves what they expect and what they are pleased with or not pleased with. We have the fan police out telling others that are not good fans if they say anything THEY THINK IS negative. Facts stated are not negative, they are simply facts. Like record, like inefficiency, like poor defensive rankings. Hell we have posters that all they contribute is to call other posters names. Not for me to determine if they are a good fan. They can decide for themselves how they want to conduct themselves. I am only offering either established results or opinions on how i think a team should be built. If someone wants to key board bash me that is fine. It is their own time being spent. I try to keep it to college basketball programs as they pertain to ours.

I do not think that at all. I am supporting him now. Pointing out that each person can decide for themselves what they expect and what they are pleased with or not pleased with. We have the fan police out telling others that are not good fans if they say anything THEY THINK IS negative. Facts stated are not negative, they are simply facts. Like record, like inefficiency, like poor defensive rankings. Hell we have posters that all they contribute is to call other posters names. Not for me to determine if they are a good fan. They can decide for themselves how they want to conduct themselves. I am only offering either established results or opinions on how i think a team should be built. If someone wants to key board bash me that is fine. It is their own time being spent. I try to keep it to college basketball programs as they pertain to ours.
You can frame up facts any way you want but there is a time and place for everything. The time to talk about how the coach is doing this season is once the season has played out.

You guys are like the loudmouth sitting a few rows behind the home bench yelling "the coach is a bum!". The fans hear you, the players hear you, the coach hears you, and the recruits hear you.

When another fan stands up and says "What are you doing? You are no fan! Actually, you are the bum, sit down - we are all trying to support the team and enjoy the season - let's encourage the recruits to come here, cheer on the team, and enjoy the season" your response is, i got facts, you're being mean for calling me a bum, I purchased these tickets, I donate money, I hang out with others that donate money who also call the coach names. I got a right to stand here during the game and harass the coach and players anytime we want and if you tell me to stop you are a bad person, this is how I support the team"

This make it clear to a lot of people that some of you have had so much pain in MN sports that you have forgotten what it means to be a fan.

[and I was never a huge Pitino fan but I do think he is a good coach, who is our coach, who could be a great coach down the road, I want recruits to come here and commit to Gophers/Pitino to help make that happen, know that one really good season may launch us and Pitino to the next level, and want the players to understand that the Patrick Reusse's of Minnesota are very few and there are many more people who support the coach and team. Lets make this happen]

Last edited:

but what about Tim Miles? I think my favorite coaching move is hiring Monson and watching the rise and success of the Gonzaga #2 guy. just the worst.

I'm not sure what the point of this is.
It’s part of our survival strategy. Negativity bias. We have to focus on the terrible things in our life to make sure we don’t die. Good things pose no threat so they go by unnoticed. Not sure it applies here

For me, if Pitino was 55 years old and in his 20th year of head coaching, or whatever, I would have given up a while ago. However, he is in his thirties, cutting his teeth in a very tough Big Ten job (historically losing program) and he is showing improvement in areas that bode well for his future.
We hired him before he was ready. I think he can get the job done.

Here is something I'll say about Built (who I do have disagreements with from time to time)

builtbadgers rarely makes baseless accusations that are not at least (mostly) grounded in fact. For those of you who do not like that, you will not like built. I also do believe he is coming around on Pitino and I think he would agree this is the most "Pitino-esque" team he has had. He finally has a few shoots, ball handlers and the dominant big. He would also agree Pitino needs to fill in the team with some recruits at certain positions.

So while we can hate on built (I think his username annoys many of us) he is at least trying to spread real information and have informed conversations. A lot of us could be better about that.

Here is something I'll say about Built (who I do have disagreements with from time to time)

builtbadgers rarely makes baseless accusations that are not at least (mostly) grounded in fact. For those of you who do not like that, you will not like built. I also do believe he is coming around on Pitino and I think he would agree this is the most "Pitino-esque" team he has had. He finally has a few shoots, ball handlers and the dominant big. He would also agree Pitino needs to fill in the team with some recruits at certain positions.

So while we can hate on built (I think his username annoys many of us) he is at least trying to spread real information and have informed conversations. A lot of us could be better about that.
built is a really good poster. Definitely the among the best basketball minds if not THE best on the board. Now if he would just change the moniker to something more Gopheresque, that would be excellent.

You can frame up facts any way you want but there is a time and place for everything. The time to talk about how the coach is doing this season is once the season has played out.

You guys are like the loudmouth sitting a few rows behind the home bench yelling "the coach is a bum!". The fans hear you, the players hear you, the coach hears you, and the recruits hear you.

When another fan stands up and says "What are you doing? You are no fan! Actually, you are the bum, sit down - we are all trying to support the team and enjoy the season - let's encourage the recruits to come here, cheer on the team, and enjoy the season" your response is, i got facts, you're being mean for calling me a bum, I purchased these tickets, I donate money, I hang out with others that donate money who also call the coach names. I got a right to stand here during the game and harass the coach and players anytime we want and if you tell me to stop you are a bad person, this is how I support the team"

This make it clear to a lot of people that some of you have had so much pain in MN sports that you have forgotten what it means to be a fan.

[and I was never a huge Pitino fan but I do think he is a good coach, who is our coach, who could be a great coach down the road, I want recruits to come here and commit to Gophers/Pitino to help make that happen, know that one really good season may launch us and Pitino to the next level, and want the players to understand that the Patrick Reusse's of Minnesota are very few and there are many more people who support the coach and team. Lets make this happen]
I have never called him a bum, have never yelled out insults at him, the staff or the players. I never even call out players on this board. I said 13-7 this year and called out the victory before we got it. Said this was his best staff and a good roster. Yes, i do have friends that call him names over dinner, i defend him on the grounds of what i am asking for from day one. Great defense, quality shot selection, taking care of the ball. In my business i must answer questions from recruits honestly. If asked i will go for fit, if that fit is the Gophers i will say so, if not i will say so. I am basketball business first, college basketball second and Gopher fan next. If i lose my Gopher fan card in your book, so be it. I have called him a top 75 coach, that is a compliment. If someone thinks he is better, so be it. I need to see lt year after year , top 4 conference finishes, conference titles. I clear my mind of what i want to have happen and focus on what does actually happen. Each person can decide for themselves. I do not crucify anyone for thinking he is a top 5 conference coach, or those that think he will dominate the conference. I measure all coaches against a very high standard that includes winning multiple conference titles, a national title. It is how we were raised. Excellence in all things, i do not care if that standard is for someone that is a plumber, a CPA, a lawyer, doctor. teacher. I am not great at all things, far from it but we were taught to become the best we could be. I think coaches that are highly paid should win at a high level.

I have never called him a bum, have never yelled out insults at him, the staff or the players. I never even call out players on this board. I said 13-7 this year and called out the victory before we got it. Said this was his best staff and a good roster. Yes, i do have friends that call him names over dinner, i defend him on the grounds of what i am asking for from day one. Great defense, quality shot selection, taking care of the ball. In my business i must answer questions from recruits honestly. If asked i will go for fit, if that fit is the Gophers i will say so, if not i will say so. I am basketball business first, college basketball second and Gopher fan next. If i lose my Gopher fan card in your book, so be it. I have called him a top 75 coach, that is a compliment. If someone thinks he is better, so be it. I need to see lt year after year , top 4 conference finishes, conference titles. I clear my mind of what i want to have happen and focus on what does actually happen. Each person can decide for themselves. I do not crucify anyone for thinking he is a top 5 conference coach, or those that think he will dominate the conference. I measure all coaches against a very high standard that includes winning multiple conference titles, a national title. It is how we were raised. Excellence in all things, i do not care if that standard is for someone that is a plumber, a CPA, a lawyer, doctor. teacher. I am not great at all things, far from it but we were taught to become the best we could be. I think coaches that are highly paid should win at a high level.

It's an allegory - a metaphor in which a character, place or event is used to deliver a broader message about the real issue. You are being swept up into this generalization when you try to be a "voice of reason" within an idiotic thread. These threads belong in the dumpster rather than having someone explain how they can see both sides. Or at least understand that if someone incites a reaction then they should probably not be surprised when people react.

It's an allegory - a metaphor in which a character, place or event is used to deliver a broader message about the real issue. You are being swept up into this generalization when you try to be a "voice of reason" within an idiotic thread. These threads belong in the dumpster rather than having someone explain how they can see both sides. Or at least understand that if someone incites a reaction then they should probably not be surprised when people react.
You stated it so much more eloquently than I could ever have. I just called it a ridiculous thread.

Last edited:

'Taking over after Monson's abrupt departure, Few was able to maintain the Gonzaga program's success from his very first season and prevent the Bulldogs from being a one-year wonder and sinking back into obscurity. ' from Wiki page

'Taking over after Monson's abrupt departure, Few was able to maintain the Gonzaga program's success from his very first season and prevent the Bulldogs from being a one-year wonder and sinking back into obscurity. ' from Wiki page
Few is one of the 5 best teachers in the game. THEY HIT A GRAND SLAM .

Top Bottom