Rasir Bolton: Why I chose to leave Penn State. (A Noose Around My Neck)

I would be willing to bet that every coach after he sees every player's parents, tries to say something complimentary about those parents to the player. Good grief it's tough to get along these days with people.
Stay in your bunker. Only come out to go to your church with a white pastor and all white congregation. (y)

From what I have read about Coach Chambers and the reactions from his black players tells me it was a poor choice of words to use the noose reference, but it was said innocently and at the same time ignorantly not connecting history.
But, I coached a long time....I spoke to lots of parents. 100% if some kids parents presented themselves as organized and articulate I'm telling the kid how lucky he was, black or white. Depends what school you are coaching at to a big degree. Private school with $8,000 tuition most parents are pretty articulate....and those kids are blessed and need to be aware and grateful for their situation in life. Because public school offers a pretty big contrast and usually only one parent. Like bga1 said I'm still looking as a coach for something to try and offer the kid some awareness he has positives at home in his life.
Depends on the kid, depends on their age but part of your job is helping kids deal with their parents.
Kids have lots of complaints about their parents. I always tried to restore the relationship by pointing out how much they were loved by their parents, they did X because of how much they cared etc.
Life is hard...black or white. Like bga1 said if I'm white first or Bolton is black first it's going to be hard to get along. We are people first. We are all the same. You have a problem with something I said talk to me about it. This was all just a misunderstanding with no bias or racism to any degree.
Built and his dad have the right idea.
What is innocence, and to what degree should it shield a person when they are mistaken/wrong? Not saying there is a right answer, or that I know what it is or that you’re wrong.

It could be argued that hundreds of years ago, slave owners were actually “innocent”, in their time. Because they didn’t believe blacks from Africa were actually humans at all, rather more akin to cattle that could be bought and sold and kept in a barn. So they didn’t “mean” to do harm any more than a present day farmer “means” to harm or mistreat a cow.

Most people (including myself) would find that argument abhorrent and absurd, now. But purely logically, it could be attempted, as a way to apologize for their attitudes and behaviors back then.

And your response speaks volumes about your cultural blindness.
I disagree that it is simply a lack of understanding.

He knows full well. He simply hates it. He wants a different culture/attitude to win the culture war. He passionately fights against the changing tide in the attitudes and culture that more and more is starting to win the day in this country.

And your response speaks volumes about your cultural blindness.
You are the one flying blind here Ozzy. You are willing to say that about me without knowing who I am or what I do or how I do or do not interact with the black community. I want to see solutions- not pity. Forward thinking not backward looking grudges. It works. That's what is important. Make people's lives better... don't BS them with the white privilege garbage. Stupid.

^^ perfect, we'll all just pretend every thing that happened in the past, like slavery and the ongoing pandemic of black men being murdered, just never happened!

Forget and forgive! Kumbaya, my lord!

^^ perfect, we'll all just pretend every thing that happened in the past, like slavery and the ongoing pandemic of black men being murdered, just never happened!

None of us want to see black men murdered.

Forgiveness' main benefit is for the person who has been wronged. This is a teaching in the Bible. A person who does not forgive will end up being consumed in anger and anger inevitably consumes us and destroys us, so it really is a self-serving act to forgive. I was once ambushed at a stoplight by a black male who took a metal baseball bat to my head 5 times. I should have been dead. I can tell you the anger I had, the retribution I wanted to take. Instead I had to let go and forgive and move on, I am glad I did, that anger could have changed the course of my life in a bad way.

You are the one flying blind here Ozzy. You are willing to say that about me without knowing who I am or what I do or how I do or do not interact with the black community. I want to see solutions- not pity. Forward thinking not backward looking grudges. It works. That's what is important. Make people's lives better... don't BS them with the white privilege garbage. Stupid.
Please take a little time to try and understand the systemic biases that have been built into our "way of life".

For example, did you know that one of the major programs that lifted many families into the middle class was the GI bill after WWII. It gave GI's the chance to attend college or buy homes, but black GI's were excluded because of systemic reasons. In 1947, only 2 out of the 3,200 VA loans in Mississippi went to black borrowers. In NY and NJ, less than 100 of the 67,000 mortgages went to non-whites. This is just one of the many situations that allowed whites to rise up the economic ladder and left others behind. They are really easy to find, just open your eyes and do a little digging.

https://www.history.com/news/gi-bill-black-wwii-veterans-benefits

Reactions: MRJ

I disagree that it is simply a lack of understanding.

He knows full well. He simply hates it. He wants a different culture/attitude to win the culture war. He passionately fights against the changing tide in the attitudes and culture that more and more is starting to win the day in this country.

Are you insane? Chambers is white man from Philly, who is surrounded by Black culture. He is more black than many black people I know around here most likely. Chambers is Philly and he fits in well there. I bet 95/100 of his black players would back him here.

Chambers does not hate anything about who he is and is and the family he recruits. Get real

For the record there is no "pandemic' of black men being murdered in the current non-racist America. Are you going to stand by the Ferguson liberal "hands up- no shoot" lie?

9 total unarmed black men were shot by police in 2019, yet 38 were shot in 2016 during Obama's last year in office. That is not a "pandemic" by any definition.

The lies about police are alarming, this is not 1960 Democrat led Alabama or Mississippi police. KKK Democrat Party arm anymore. In fact Democrats run almost all big city police departments, and more than not are minority heavy departments. Keep blaming "white racism" though.

Nothing like a bunch of upper middle class, white liberal BLM protesters spitting at and shouting at Black, Hispanic, and Asian police officers. BLM has always been about 85 percent white, now I know why, they are marxist revolutionaries waiting for their chance.

Please take a little time to try and understand the systemic biases that have been built into our "way of life".

For example, did you know that one of the major programs that lifted many families into the middle class was the GI bill after WWII. It gave GI's the chance to attend college or buy homes, but black GI's were excluded because of systemic reasons. In 1947, only 2 out of the 3,200 VA loans in Mississippi went to black borrowers. In NY and NJ, less than 100 of the 67,000 mortgages went to non-whites. This is just one of the many situations that allowed whites to rise up the economic ladder and left others behind. They are really easy to find, just open your eyes and do a little digging.

https://www.history.com/news/gi-bill-black-wwii-veterans-benefits
The past is fine to learn from. The future is in leaving grievances and racial division behind. Success is waiting for those who do. More pain is ahead for those who listen to the fools who want to stir racial division.

What leaves blacks behind is the pat on the head by white Democrats and the promise of more entitlements. That'll fix it! This time we have the answer. Defund the police!

Lost another black friend in his 60's to heart disease. It's not about hurt feelings. It's about the wear and tear on the body.

Are you insane? Chambers is white man from Philly, who is surrounded by Black culture. He is more black than many black people I know around here most likely. Chambers is Philly and he fits in well there. I bet 95/100 of his black players would back him here.

Chambers does not hate anything about who he is and is and the family he recruits. Get real
As was perfectly obvious by the post I quoted and the chain of responses preceding it, I was referring to bga1.

For the record there is no "pandemic' of black men being murdered in the current non-racist America. Are you going to stand by the Ferguson liberal "hands up- no shoot" lie?

9 total unarmed black men were shot by police in 2019, yet 38 were shot in 2016 during Obama's last year in office. That is not a "pandemic" by any definition.

The lies about police are alarming, this is not 1960 Democrat led Alabama or Mississippi police. KKK Democrat Party arm anymore. In fact Democrats run almost all big city police departments, and more than not are minority heavy departments. Keep blaming "white racism" though.

Nothing like a bunch of upper middle class, white liberal BLM protesters spitting at and shouting at Black, Hispanic, and Asian police officers. BLM has always been about 85 percent white, now I know why, they are marxist revolutionaries waiting for their chance.
Tell yourself whatever lies you need to sleep at night.

Tell yourself whatever lies you need to sleep at night.
I am more troubled by people wanting to believe that this country is as racist as it has ever been. In my experience, I have not really seen any overt acts of racism, but obviously it does happen and is a larger issue in some areas than others. 60 years ago, I didn't need the media to tell me there was a racial divide as it was plainly obvious as segregation was rampid. Much progress has been made but there are societal factors keeping it from going forward. The issue many people have (obviously generalizing based on commentary i've followed) is from what has happened the last 2 months with all the incessant virtue signaling. Is it really so much worse today than it was 60 days ago, 6 months, 5 years? Individual accountability is the only thing that will help improve this. Common sense people want to get along with others. There is an extreme far left that deems everything racist, and an extreme far right that is actually racist. This does not apply to most people trying to live their lives. You know something is up when an event gets politicized and when another equally egregious or worse event happens and the same organization speaking loudly does not cover it. The 8 year old girl recently killed by gun fire is a prime example. The father received a call from Trump to express condolences, but did not receive a call from the democratic mayor who is echoing the BLM sentiment. I am not a Trump supporter by any means, but anyone should be able to see the overt political hypocrisy that is being pushed.

I am more troubled by people wanting to believe that this country is as racist as it has ever been. In my experience, I have not really seen any overt acts of racism, but obviously it does happen and is a larger issue in some areas than others. 60 years ago, I didn't need the media to tell me there was a racial divide as it was plainly obvious as segregation was rampid. Much progress has been made but there are societal factors keeping it from going forward. The issue many people have (obviously generalizing based on commentary i've followed) is from what has happened the last 2 months with all the incessant virtue signaling. Is it really so much worse today than it was 60 days ago, 6 months, 5 years? Individual accountability is the only thing that will help improve this. Common sense people want to get along with others. There is an extreme far left that deems everything racist, and an extreme far right that is actually racist. This does not apply to most people trying to live their lives. You know something is up when an event gets politicized and when another equally egregious or worse event happens and the same organization speaking loudly does not cover it. The 8 year old girl recently killed by gun fire is a prime example. The father received a call from Trump to express condolences, but did not receive a call from the democratic mayor who is echoing the BLM sentiment. I am not a Trump supporter by any means, but anyone should be able to see the overt political hypocrisy that is being pushed.
Bolded: it's impossible to be personally responsible for your own success, if you're being discriminated against, even indirectly. Right?

Even if you just set aside all the things related to attitudes and behaviors, towards people with dark skin color.

How are those people supposed to break out of poverty, when they've been purposefully suppressed and denied an equal opportunity to build wealth?

When the suburbs were first being built out, there were explicit requirements in the funding/loans for building them, that they were not allowed to sell to blacks. Those homes built up tremendous equity and wealth for the white families that bought them, which they could then pass down to the next generation.

We're only talking like the 1940's/50's here, I believe.

Not all, but many of problems blacks face in the modern times, are related to poverty and the lack of opportunity to break out of that, because of an almost one-to-one connection between poverty and a culture of drug use/selling. Which breeds gangs and gang violence. Etc. Kids don't get pushed to do well in school, because families were devastated by drug use/gangs. Etc.

The above two posts are great examples of being thoughtful and insightful. Reflections on both later. Not that anyone's waiting. Just like the dialogue.

Bolded: it's impossible to be personally responsible for your own success, if you're being discriminated against, even indirectly. Right?

Even if you just set aside all the things related to attitudes and behaviors, towards people with dark skin color.

How are those people supposed to break out of poverty, when they've been purposefully suppressed and denied an equal opportunity to build wealth?

When the suburbs were first being built out, there were explicit requirements in the funding/loans for building them, that they were not allowed to sell to blacks. Those homes built up tremendous equity and wealth for the white families that bought them, which they could then pass down to the next generation.

We're only talking like the 1940's/50's here, I believe.

Not all, but many of problems blacks face in the modern times, are related to poverty and the lack of opportunity to break out of that, because of an almost one-to-one connection between poverty and a culture of drug use/selling. Which breeds gangs and gang violence. Etc. Kids don't get pushed to do well in school, because families were devastated by drug use/gangs. Etc.
I will not deny that it can be more difficult to succeed depending on the circumstances you were born into. That is a fact of life for all. But it is not impossible to succeed unless you set limitations on yourself. If you ask people who have traveled internationally, there are many countries in Europe and other parts of the world harboring far more racial prejudice than America. I follow many successful black men on twitter who refuse to let people tell them they are a victim and often times are more successful than the white people trying to tell them they are a victim. They are trying to break this cycle of self-victimization that is holding so many back. Ed Latimore, Chris Johnson, Lawrence King, Zuby, Eric July are a few that are doing great things with their life. When they downplay the societal limitations of America they are accused of racial self-hatred when they actually exemplify exactly what they should be doing. I am not denying racism exists, it is just clearly being overblown at this current time clearly for political reasons. A lot of people are getting swept up in the tidal wave along with that. Obviously the Bolton deal was last year prior to the current climate, and Chambers probably did act somewhat insensitively. But when the majority of his players support him, especially their team leader and all time program player in Stevens. I doubt Chambers was being overtly or intentional racist. We are talking about PSU though so really anything is possible. Their history of abuse on campus goes without saying.

So tonight, I was arguing with my wife. It was awful. Even after admitting defeat, she wouldn't calm down and let things go. I kept telling her over and over to just calm down and let it go.

Browbeaten and humiliated, I thought long and hard about what would cheer me up. Then I remembered GopherHole. I hadn't been on GH for awhile. I'm sure they would love to hear from me and what wisdom I have.

So, GH, what's up?

So tonight, I was arguing with my wife. It was awful. Even after admitting defeat, she wouldn't calm down and let things go. I kept telling her over and over to just calm down and let it go.

Browbeaten and humiliated, I thought long and hard about what would cheer me up. Then I remembered GopherHole. I hadn't been on GH for awhile. I'm sure they would love to hear from me and what wisdom I have.

So, GH, what's up?

Gotta go. My wife came in, put her arms around me, gave me a kiss and told me she's in love with a big retard. I think i have to start training for a fight. Maybe Linn Manuel Miranda's next Broadway muscial will be about me. 😉

As an African-American, I don't need any white person to tell me what I should consider offensive or not, especially if you haven't walked in my shoes. If I talked a Jewish person and make a joke about the gas chamber and they said they were offended, what gives me the right to tell them they shouldn't be offended cause the joke was so funny? People need to be more understanding that not everyone has the same life experiences as you do.

The most disturbing thing for me is that Pat Chambers never apologized until it became public. If someone says something offensive to me and I tell them it's offensive, it's the end of the story. Period. I apologize to that person and if they're nice about it, ask them to educate me and tell me why it's offensive so it won't happen again. Apparently, Chambers got pissed that he was reported on about it and PSU did nothing about it. I would've transferred too. His apologize now means absolutely nothing.

As an African-American, I don't need any white person to tell me what I should consider offensive or not, especially if you haven't walked in my shoes. If I talked a Jewish person and make a joke about the gas chamber and they said they were offended, what gives me the right to tell them they shouldn't be offended cause the joke was so funny? People need to be more understanding that not everyone has the same life experiences as you do.

The most disturbing thing for me is that Pat Chambers never apologized until it became public. If someone says something offensive to me and I tell them it's offensive, it's the end of the story. Period. I apologize to that person and if they're nice about it, ask them to educate me and tell me why it's offensive so it won't happen again. Apparently, Chambers got pissed that he was reported on about it and PSU did nothing about it. I would've transferred too. His apologize now means absolutely nothing.
I agree with your thinking 100% if it's true.
My reading suggests this was discussed after the fact with the entire team on multiple occasions.
His team is mostly black and all players are staunchly behind the coach, except Bolton who left, again from what I read. Would that be the case if Chambers truly disrespected Bolton beyond the remark?
It seems the only place the no apology angle is coming from is Bolton and reporters looking to create a story. And I could be wrong. Again, if it's like you describe I'd likely be gone as well.

Some people think you shouldn’t have to apologize if you didn’t mean to offend.

Another thought, usually by the same type of people, is along the lines of “what if the claimed offense taken is not genuine/fake/for show”?

I'm sure all those black people you know are comforted by the fact that the white basketball coach at Penn State is "more black" then they are. And people still think racism is a thing of the past in this country? Jeebus, just look at this statement.

Some people think you shouldn’t have to apologize if you didn’t mean to offend.

Another thought, usually by the same type of people, is along the lines of “what if the claimed offense taken is not genuine/fake/for show”?

Are we talking about people getting their feelings hurt? Cuz I thought we were talking about systemic racism.

I'm sure all those black people you know are comforted by the fact that the white basketball coach at Penn State is "more black" then they are. And people still think racism is a thing of the past in this country? Jeebus, just look at this statement.
All I know is this: If you don't vote for Joe Biden- "Man, you ain't black." :)

The past is fine to learn from. The future is in leaving grievances and racial division behind. Success is waiting for those who do. More pain is ahead for those who listen to the fools who want to stir racial division.

What leaves blacks behind is the pat on the head by white Democrats and the promise of more entitlements. That'll fix it! This time we have the answer. Defund the police!
You totally miss the point. The past is what has built the systemic racism and now claiming a clean start with one person is already on third base is not a solution.

Your second statement is based on total ignorance. Please watch this video conversation. John Stewart can explain it much better than I can. The whole video discussion is very good, he gets into your comments at about the 7 minute mark.

^^^ total ignorance is where bga dwells. Truly, his mindset is that if he’s on the tribe that’s losing the culture war, at least he can go down trolling the other tribe on gopher hole, achieving as much frustration and agitation possible.

You totally miss the point. The past is what has built the systemic racism and now claiming a clean start with one person is already on third base is not a solution.

Your second statement is based on total ignorance. Please watch this video conversation. John Stewart can explain it much better than I can. The whole video discussion is very good, he gets into your comments at about the 7 minute mark.
I am sure that listening to a couple of "high priests" of the left might sound like logic to you but it is not really something that needs to be explained. People get the concept but just reject it as BS.

Now that systemic racism has been eradicated people need to deal with something far harder - competing in an unforgiving free market system. In this situation envy is no help, jealousy-worthless, claiming a disadvantage- always a guy that came from a worse situation but still succeeds... What is needed is faith, family, and strong leaders to help break the disadvantaged mindset and fully assimilate. Who they got? LOL they got John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Good luck with that. Couple of white Democrats. You would think people would learn after 160 years...

The good news through all of this is that there is an awakening and many are rejecting these leaders.

Top Bottom