Ra'Shede Hageman

SPCPrice21

Reaction score
Whats the deal with this guy? In the Trib Phil Miller said that he is not listed as a DE anymore and is now listed as Kirkseys backup at DT. Whats wrong with him? If hes so strong and physically gifted does he have a very low football IQ or somethin because it should be that hard to pick up a DE position. Not tryin to be so negative. Its frustrating to read all these GREAT things about him all off season just for him to move positions AGAIN and not play. Any thoughts guys?

Here is the transcript of what Brewster said about the move at his press conference yesterday:

Q. The Ra'Shede Hageman move, is that permanent?
COACH BREWSTER: You know, I don't know that it's permanent. I think there are situations where he's still going to play defensive end. He has that ability. He keeps growing; he keeps getting bigger and stronger, and he's going be a natural fit inside.

Right now he's still playing a little bit of both spots. We're trying to limit what we ask of him so he can come on and get on the field and help us. But I think you'll see him some inside and at the defense end the rest of the season.
Q. What's the advantage of moving him?
COACH BREWSTER: You know, he's such a big, strong, physical guy. When you play on the guard, the defensive positions are an outside shade, head‑up inside shade. Outside shade is a three technique where he really is one‑on‑one with the guard.

That's what we'd like to be able to create with him, is as many one‑on‑one matchups as we possibly can. We think physically he can win in a one‑on‑one matchup.
Q. And the potential for young guys like him to take the next step, that would be huge, wouldn't it?
COACH BREWSTER: Yeah, absolutely. Ra'Shede Hageman is 6'6", 295 pounds. He's can run; he's a big, strong, physical guy. He's a guy that as we move forward defensively, he's a guy that I think can be an impact player. He's just, again, right now, he's just young and learning and growing each day.

Not seeing him on the field (despite the team fielding a VERY shaky defense) is one of the early great questions for this season, in my opinion.

This isn't a knock on Brewster or an endorsement for Mason but I kind of miss the days when our players were under the radar and became All-Big Ten talents. Not that Hageman won't develop but can we get someone who lives up to the hype immediately under Brewster?

Against Spread--300lbs for DE is Rare

You don't necessarily need guys that big playing on the edge in 1st and 2nd down situations. And it hurts the kid's ability to play fast if you try playing him at multiple positions as a RS Fr. I think Hageman is a future DT-type anyway, and could be a very good one based on the play if seen of him bringing the power rush.

Not saying he projects to be like these guys, but he's got the frame of one of these two more than the other.

Kevin Williams 6'5" 311
Jared Allen 6'6" 270

Maybe the coaches just thought that it'd be easier to get him on the field as a DE earlier in the season, with the depth they have a DT.

He can be on his way to 300+ lbs while also playing can't he. Its not like playing DE is gonna stunt his growth lol.

If the coaches thought he was a better DE than who is currently playing, he'd be in there. My guess is that he has size and strength, but plays based off of instinct. DE is not an instinct position, DT is much more so. And his size, 6-6 300+, is more DT than DE.

I thought he was suppose to be our next big offensive weapon at TE. TE-DE-DT? Hmm. So strong and so much potential but cant find the field anywhere? And its not like hes just in the dog house cuz brewster loves him...

I really hopes he can find his knack at DT then. Im really rooting for him!!

I thought he was suppose to be our next big offensive weapon at TE. TE-DE-DT? Hmm. So strong and so much potential but cant find the field anywhere? And its not like hes just in the dog house cuz brewster loves him...

How many times do we have to have this discussion?

How many times have you seen a 300+ lb. TE?

If you want to discuss shuttling him between DE and DT, and why he hasn't seen the field much, that's valid. But stop bringing up the TE bit.

How many times do we have to have this discussion?

How many times have you seen a 300+ lb. TE?

If you want to discuss shuttling him between DE and DT, and why he hasn't seen the field much, that's valid. But stop bringing up the TE bit.

I have never brought up the TE bit before. He wasn't 300+ lbs when he came to the U. And don't quote me on this but I thought he was suppose to contribute right away playin TE at 260 lbs. Anyways that wasn't my point. If you noticed this whole fricken thread I started is about why he moved from DE to DT. I just made a statement about how he started at TE.

I believe the coaches wanted him on the defensive side from the start, but he was given the opportunity to play TE as that was his preference.

Lamonte Edwards is in a very similar situation I believe.

I really wish he had the technique today to work at DE. Garin is just getting pushed around. He needs to hit the weight room.

I really wish we had the coaches that were capable of coaching players into all big ten talent. Think of what Ferentz could do with him. Oh Well :cry:

I really wish we had the coaches that were capable of coaching players into all big ten talent. Think of what Ferentz could do with him. Oh Well :cry:

You will hopefully get your wish soon!

But guys it should be okay. According to a current Gopher, technique doesnt matter that much. "Nothing to be taken from them, but we're better," said Kirksey of his departed teammates, which include Minnesota Vikings rookies Nate Triplett at linebacker and Marcus Sherels at cornerback. "They were more technique. They honed their craft. We're more athletically talented."
This article was from a few weeks ago. But I seriously felt dumber after reading it.

I really wish we had the coaches that were capable of coaching players into all big ten talent. Think of what Ferentz could do with him.

I'm pretty sure that we have several coaches that have coached All Big Ten talent before.

Think of what Ferentz could do with him.

Adrian Clayborn didn't break out until his fourth year in Iowa's program. Is that a quick enough development for you or should he have been good a couple years earlier?

I'm pretty sure that we have several coaches that have coached All Big Ten talent before.

Adrian Clayborn didn't break out until his fourth year in Iowa's program. Is that a quick enough development for you or should he have been good a couple years earlier?

You're correct. I can totally see the improvement from a lot of the players who saw the field last year who are now starting this year.

Sure, the Big Ten's upper tier teams are full of RS Freshmen on their defenses.

I really wish he had the technique today to work at DE. Garin is just getting pushed around. He needs to hit the weight room.

Maybe just the opposite. He was undersized coming out of HS and one of the things I think may be happening here is that the coaches are focusing so much on hitting the weights that they have made a guy like him slow and lacking agility/quickness. Garin looked reasonably sized but wow, was he slow and unathletic looking out there. So much that I wonder if he tried to put on too much weight and is now not able to play to his (hopefully) normal ability. That type of thing isn't that uncommon.

And the DE's we had last year that were seniors or juniors were good apparently? Give me a break.

Ogee, your right, upper teier teams have 3rd 4th and 5th yr. players there. Now some smart A-- will show where someone has a couple of younger kids, but on a whole your right.

Ogee, your right, upper teier teams have 3rd 4th and 5th yr. players there. Now some smart A-- will show where someone has a couple of younger kids, but on a whole your right.

I don't think anyone is asking to be an upper tier team, just a competent one that can beat a South Dakota by 14+ and maybe play .500 ball (maybe a little less with the youth) in the conference with some upside when kids to get older.

And the DE's we had last year that were seniors or juniors were good apparently? Give me a break.

Were you watching last year? We didn't have any Jr./Sr. DEs! We played 4 DTs on the line in order to at least stop the run, since we had no pass rush anyway.

Wilhite is the only guy returning from last year who is actually a DE, and even he is a LB/DE tweener. And he was only a RFr, like most of our DE options this year. Jacobs played a lot there, but like I said, he was really a DT playing DE.

Top Bottom