Ranking the Big Ten's starting quarterbacks in 2020 (#2. Tanner Morgan, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Brad:

#2. Tanner Morgan, Minnesota

The skinny: Morgan flourished from the pocket as the Big Ten's best behind Justin Fields last fall with 28 touchdowns, 2,975 yards and a quarterback rating of 180.4 (second only to Ohio State's Heisman finalist). During Minnesota's best campaign in nearly two decades, Morgan came up big in key spots against good teams, saving his best for Penn State in November (339 yards, three touchdowns). How good could he be in 2020? The Gophers return their entire offensive line and three other starters at the skill spots around Morgan within a unit that averaged 34 points per game last season. Minnesota should be high-powered once again.

Go Gophers!!

If everyone stays healthy I think this will be the best offense in my gopher watching.
Losing Johnson hurts but I think the run game will take a step forward this year.
we say this every stinking year.

I didnt even know Indiana had a good QB according to the article, ive never even heard of that guy.

Only an opinion by some guy I have never heard of; but, man, does it feel good to have a Gopher QB in the conversation about the top QB's in the BIG.

I already do. I thought it was because I can't grow it on top anymore, but maybe, subconsciously, I was preparing for my own man crush on Tanner.
I'm in the same boat. Maybe we can start a club or something.

Have we ever had a QB drafted, for the QB position?

Interesting comments, as always.

Where would GopherHolers rank Tanner in the B1G?

I'll admit I haven't studied the field, but other than Fields I can't think of too many others I'd put ahead of Morgan.

Last edited:

I'll admit I haven'r studies the field, but other than Fields I can't think of too many others I'd put ahead of Morgan.
He is a pretty solid 2.

I'll admit I haven't studied the field, but other than Fields I can't think of too many others I'd put ahead of Morgan.
Tanner is pretty much the consensus #2 QB in the conference by Big Ten fans if you read other message boards.

The QB situation for our two main rivals:

Iowa loses Stanley. They reload with untested Spencer Petras.

Wisconsin will be solid at QB with senior Jack Coan, who had a very good (if unspectacular) 2019 season. But... can they replace Taylor and Cephus on offense?

Wasn't Leidner almost a 1st round pick. Right Todd Mcshay?

we say this every stinking year.

Disagree. During the Kill years we rarely had a lot of excitement about how good the offense was going to be. On the flip side we just hoped it didn't suck and maybe at some point looked like it understood the concept of the forward pass.

There was a lot of excitement about the offense heading into 2019, and I would say that excitement was backed up pretty strongly. There is even more heading into 2020 because the one thing that was missing for 2019 was a true sense for how the QB position was going to shake out. Now we know what we have in Morgan and we have seen the pieces around him in action as well. With a whole O-Line returning (not a common thing in college football) and talented skill guys all over the place, the offense in 2020 could be truly amazing. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but if we avoid major injuries this offense should put up some great numbers.

Disagree. During the Kill years we rarely had a lot of excitement about how good the offense was going to be. On the flip side we just hoped it didn't suck and maybe at some point looked like it understood the concept of the forward pass.

There was a lot of excitement about the offense heading into 2019, and I would say that excitement was backed up pretty strongly. There is even more heading into 2020 because the one thing that was missing for 2019 was a true sense for how the QB position was going to shake out. Now we know what we have in Morgan and we have seen the pieces around him in action as well. With a whole O-Line returning (not a common thing in college football) and talented skill guys all over the place, the offense in 2020 could be truly amazing. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but if we avoid major injuries this offense should put up some great numbers.
The weber,q and leidner years are my gopher experience and every year 95% of gopher fan posters here would say ‘the offense should be better’.

The weber,q and leidner years are my gopher experience and every year 95% of gopher fan posters here would say ‘the offense should be better’.
You know the posters so well after your three months on the site. Kudos

Hope for the future is always present and outside of a year like 2017 when your QBs were Croft/Rhoda, fans are going to be optimistic that things will improve.

But that is different then what we have going currently on offense. We have a chance to be one of the best offenses in the conference and possibly even the country. That is very different then just hoping for a little bit of improvement.

Top Bottom