Ranking the 41 college football bowl games from best to worst (28. Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse (7-5) vs. Minnesota (8-4))

Agree. There are 10-12 too many bowl games at least. Should probably only be 20-25 tops and a 7 win minimum to get in
Yet, if the NCAA relaxed the win requirement for P5 teams to 4+ wins, and required that any 4-6 win team play against a G5 opponent in their bowl game, there would be 7 additional bowl games. And those 7, and the lowest current 7 would all have about 2MM+ viewers and be wildly profitable as well.

Everyone wins. :p

There are some…questionable takes on that list.

Troy/UTSA at 8?
Duke/UCF at 14?
Arkansas (6-6)/Kansas (6-6) ten spots ahead of us?

Also BYU/SMU and South Alabama/Western KY ahead of us? I get Syracuse/Minnesota in in a cold baseball stadium isn’t a sexy matchup but sheesh.

Troy/UTSA at 8?
Duke/UCF at 14?

Also BYU/SMU and South Alabama/Western KY ahead of us? I get Syracuse/Minnesota in in a cold baseball stadium isn’t a sexy matchup but sheesh.

Probably because there's going to be little defense and a lot of scoring in those games. For your moderate football fan....big plays and lots of points = more entertaining. Can't exactly disagree with them.

I went to the Rutgers game with my brother, who mostly sucks to go to games with because he's a bandwagon fan. Our first two drives....both touchdowns....took 10:27 and 7:03. Only three completions in each. He mentioned multiple times how bored he was. Can't argue with the fact that our brand of football isn't considered all that exciting.

It's why the Music City Bowl between Iowa and Kentucky is the lowest P5 game on the list. They might as well rename it the Masochist Bowl.

Thre are some real snow flakes here that get their shorts in a bundle over something as meaningless as an arbitrary ranking of bowl games.

CBS chimes in:

29. Pinstripe Bowl: Minnesota vs. Syracuse​

Thursday, Dec. 29, 2 p.m. -- I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that these teams could combine to make this ranking look very stupid when bowl season ends. While they're both Power Five teams, this isn't the most exciting matchup. Syracuse does a great job defensively of limiting explosive plays, and Minnesota's offense isn't built on big plays. We're likely to see a lot of clock-churning drives in this one, but on the bright side, that should keep things close.

Go Gophers!!

Troy/UTSA at 8?
Duke/UCF at 14?

I hate this bowl. I wish the BG10 would rethink it. However, from a TV viewer perspective (the only reason this bowl exists), the colder game in NY in a famous baseball venue makes sense. It's a unicorn. Definitely differentiated from the other bowls.

If this bowl could finagle a prime TV viewership spot like NYD or even New Years Eve daytime with the famous festivities later in that city, it could become more of a destination.

On a side note, I'm glad the BG10 contract called for a goal of 8 different teams in 8 years. It saved the same teams from getting screwed year over year.

I hope the players are treated first class to make up for its location shortcomings.

I dont disagree with that. I just think there are too many. Just my opinion.
Too many for ... what? I certainly understand those who don't want to watch that many, particularly some of the less appealing games. So don't watch. Clearly, others are watching. ESPN owns a bunch of the bowls because they know people want to watch.

So when you (and there are many others) say there are too many, what do you mean, exactly? Who or what is hurt by two 6-6 teams playing in a bowl you're not going to watch?

Top Bottom