Ranking Big Ten quarterbacks by PFF grade through Week 1

MisterGopher

Reaction score

Tanner Morgan - Minnesota​

USATSI_15305478.jpg

Dylan Widger-USA TODAY Sports
PFF Grade: 86.6

Context​

Reunited with offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca, Morgan wasn’t asked to do much, but he still looked improved upon last year. He completed an efficient 13-for-19 attempts for 174 yards.

Petras worse than two MI backups and Rutgers backup 😂
Iowa boards have made for some fun reading after their SDSU game. To say the fanbase is not real happy with the current OC and QB would be a massive understatement :)

I was surprised how little chatter there was on the board about how good Morgan looked. I understand the opponent was bad, but Morgan was accurate, made good decisions, avoided pressure in the pocket, and kept the chains moving. The first drive of the second half was a good illustration of this. Completed a couple nice crossers, converted a couple third downs (including after some penalties got them into 2nd and 26), and scrambled for a big gain. I thought he looked great and the passing game was miles ahead of last year -- but that's no big surprise.

I was surprised how little chatter there was on the board about how good Morgan looked. I understand the opponent was bad, but Morgan was accurate, made good decisions, avoided pressure in the pocket, and kept the chains moving. The first drive of the second half was a good illustration of this. Completed a couple nice crossers, converted a couple third downs (including after some penalties got them into 2nd and 26), and scrambled for a big gain. I thought he looked great and the passing game was miles ahead of last year -- but that's no big surprise.
He put on a burst of speed on the first down scramble that was actually shocking.

Last year, I thought Morgan looked jittery and erratic at times, even in the non-con games.

Just one game in so far this season, he looked comfortable and went through progressions with ease.

My favorite was his decision to hit Kallerup on the under route when BSF was getting covered (btw, 2 TEs out for passes on the same play? Is it my birthday?)

Finding the open TE as an outlet while scrambling a couple times was a nice change. Having no outlet while under pressure was one of my biggest pet leaves last year.

He looked much more comfortable and confident. Quick decisions. Plenty of zip on the ball.

The return of Ciarrocca just might be a very good thing for Tanner — and for all of us who bleed maroon and gold.

In fact, the entire team looked happy, engaged, enthusiastic. I loved it.

Top Bottom