Random uniform question

U2Gopher

Reaction score
What is the significance of the word HERE with the down looking arrow under it that is on our helmets and was in Fleck’s sleeve today?

I have no idea what the acronym means, but it’s the Gophers “social justice” motto.

Last edited:

Help End Racisim with Education or something along those lines.

Play football and have a recognizable home uniform and a typical road uniform. Maybe pop something else (NOT black or anthracite) for a very special game. This carousel of uniforms is getting old.

Play football and have a recognizable home uniform and a typical road uniform. Maybe pop something else (NOT black or anthracite) for a very special game. This carousel of uniforms is getting old.
Maybe I’m being naive but isn’t this carousel expensive? I mean I would think those are all new helmets? If true is that a new helmet for every game?

Maybe I’m being naive but isn’t this carousel expensive? I mean I would think those are all new helmets? If true is that a new helmet for every game?

Pretty sure they are just wrapped/painted. They aren't spending like $5k on helmets per player, per season.

A lot of schools do this stuff. It helps recruiting, kids like it. It isn't for the old dudes on an internet message board.

For the most part we have a white, gold, chrome, and maroon helmet. The equipment crew changes out the face mask and decals for the games. They are not all new. They don't have 13 helmets sitting around.

For the most part we have a white, gold, chrome, and maroon helmet. The equipment crew changes out the face mask and decals for the games. They are not all new. They don't have 13 helmets sitting around.
And teams uniforms really cheaply because the suppliers literally pay the universities to be their suppliers as advertising to high school teams .

The gophers have an apparel contract. As does every other school. Nike paid Michigan like 175 million to supply their uniforms in every sport...and people think Michigan write Nike a check for new knee pads? Lol

Well...it is clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that the reason for the loss was the helmets. Should have went with what worked in 2018.

I have actually warmed up (to the point my chili is hot!) to the new uniform combos. I look forward to each game and even "old" guys like me and my buddies typically text each other at kickoff and comment on them.

I have actually warmed up (to the point my chili is hot!) to the new uniform combos. I look forward to each game and even "old" guys like me and my buddies typically text each other at kickoff and comment on them.
I too like the uniform combos....Until they suck like this one did (more so the helmet) and the one at Iowa last year. :)
And with 4 helmets at $300+ per helmet for 100 players, They could have come close to saving the gymnastics or Track team by sticking with just one.

Last edited:

I too like the uniform combos....Until they suck like this one did (more so the helmet) and the one at Iowa last year. :)
And with 4 helmets at $300+ per helmet for 100 players, They could have saved the gymnastics or Track team by sticking with just one.
I'm no math major, but those figures might only just cover a HC salary in either of those sports.

The program colors are maroon and gold. they should wear at least some maroon AND gold every week. I don't mind a little mixing and matching, but I don't like the all-maroon look. would much rather have gold pants with the maroon tops or vice versa.

I also do not like the all-white unis - probably my least favorite.

and not a fan of the white "M" on the Maroon helmets. make the "M" gold.

The program colors are maroon and gold. they should wear at least some maroon AND gold every week. I don't mind a little mixing and matching, but I don't like the all-maroon look. would much rather have gold pants with the maroon tops or vice versa.

Yep.

I'm no math major, but those figures might only just cover a HC salary in either of those sports.
That’d be totally true if Mn was paying to use the helmets rather than the equipment company paying the U of M to outfit them

Yeah also not a fan of the all-white...or the white Block M. Anthracite is below all-white for me. I do like some of the other combos but most are based on the more classic looks with a twist or two. Have always loved the MWG away look but have rarely seen it in the recent past.

The article you just posted talked about Mississippi state and Baylor, both of which, in the article, made a profit from their helmets.

So even if I’m wrong, I’m right
Assuming we've been able to sell ours at the same price as them. Have no idea what those numbers are.

That’d be totally true if Mn was paying to use the helmets rather than the equipment company paying the U of M to outfit them
There's a difference between uniforms and equipment. You think they don't pay for the helmets?

Assuming we've been able to sell ours at the same price as them. Have no idea what those numbers are.
If we are losing money on having 4 different helmet colors. We should cut back to two.

I know one 6a football school in MN I worked at would get jerseys provided free for the team in certain years to continue outfitting and selling equipment through a certain company.

If they’re doing that for some Minnesota high school football teams I can’t imagine the gophers or any P5 team is losing money on equipment

There's a difference between uniforms and equipment. You think they don't pay for the helmets?
It’s probably part of the contract that we signed with our apparel outfitter is my guess. I’m guessing we don’t receive a check and then send a check back to them. I’m guessing there is one exchange of money and the uniforms we get are part of negotiations.

Seems most efficient

And teams uniforms really cheaply because the suppliers literally pay the universities to be their suppliers as advertising to high school teams .

The gophers have an apparel contract. As does every other school. Nike paid Michigan like 175 million to supply their uniforms in every sport...and people think Michigan write Nike a check for new knee pads? Lol

Actually....Michigan is one of four current Power Five teams with Jordan as the sponsor....along with Florida, Oklahoma, and of course, UNC. I know that Marquette is also Jordan sponsored. Maybe Georgetown too?

Actually....Michigan is one of four current Power Five teams with Jordan as the sponsor....along with Florida, Oklahoma, and of course, UNC. I know that Marquette is also Jordan sponsored. Maybe Georgetown too?
Is Jordan separate from Nike? I just assumed it was a subsidiary

If we are losing money on having 4 different helmet colors. We should cut back to two.

I know one 6a football school in MN I worked at would get jerseys provided free for the team in certain years to continue outfitting and selling equipment through a certain company.

If they’re doing that for some Minnesota high school football teams I can’t imagine the gophers or any P5 team is losing money on equipment

Either way I don't really care. I'd chalk up the costs of the helmets to "marketing". I was just pointing out that helmets are different than uniforms.

Even my son's relatively small traveling soccer club has a uniform contract that gets us a deal on the uniforms and equipment. We just have to wear that brand for everything and it locks us in for X number of years. My daughter's volleyball club has a similar deal.

Either way I don't really care. I'd chalk up the costs of the helmets to "marketing". I was just pointing out that helmets are different than uniforms.

Even my son's relatively small traveling soccer club has a uniform contract that gets us a deal on the uniforms and equipment. We just have to wear that brand for everything and it locks us in for X number of years. My daughter's volleyball club has a similar deal.
Yeah and my point was people who think the gophers could save the gymnastics program by having fewer helmet colors are out to lunch

Top Bottom