Random Thoughts From A Cluttered Mind

Buck_Buchanan

Reaction score
I'll preface this with rarely, if ever, I start a thread. Having said that, here are some thoughts from an obviously cluttered mind:

1) During my lifetime, Gophers are 0-10 vs Nebraska. In away games (6), outscored 270-28. Frustrations are not in the fact that there is a loss but in the fact that we simply can't score (ever) on their starters,

2) Hard to play a competitive game with 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, etc. I don't think some realize how difficult that is on kids playing defense,

3) I simply can not believe some of our offensive players {names redacted} can't make a play when their number is called,

4) WHY, ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH we showed that Wildcat Package with Gray (during garbage time on goal line) is beyond me. Only explanation I could think of is to give our upcoming2 remaining opponents something more to prepare for,

5) It would be a welcome relief to beat a ranked team (sooner rather than later),

6) In spite of all said frustrations, I still think we beat MSU. Probably goes against all reasoning and logic but there are so many variables that I feel favor the Gophers heading into that game.

Just venting and I rarely do that on here. Come hell or high water, I'll be in the seats next week cheering on our team to a victory. And, after that, cheering them in a bowl.

I'll sit back and take my beating.

Buck

Good thoughts Buck. You should start threads more often.

I think most of us agree that the program has moved forward this year. Some think it's probably moved further than others, and most probably wish it was moving a tad quicker.

But next week's game is big for that reason alone. We managed 2 wins the last two years in a much tougher Big Ten so getting two wins again isn't where the proof will be, it will be in the non-conference game and us winning on the road in a BT game. But if we win, we can point to concrete examples, 7-5 is a significant improvement over 3-9 and we can point to the all important improvement in BT wins, which is critical IMO. Not as much to the casual fan but to the media and die hard fan that is looking for reasons to be critical of the progress under Kill.

7-5 heading into a bowl game with a chance to nab 8 wins feels significantly better than a loss followed up by a bowl loss which puts our season at 6-7 on three straight losses.

I imagine we won't have more than 40K at the game next Saturday, but like you, I'll be there cheering like crazy, hoping like heck we get to 7-5.

Go Gophers!!

Hey, they scored half of those 28 points today. That's progress, of a sort.

I didn't take it as such. Although I did spin it the same way when I brought up that fact with the people I watched it with:)

Buck,

I am gonna take you back to the days when Minnesota stopped scheduling Nebraska, because Nebraska was a cupcake. (50-60;s). In between times, Nebraska decided FB could give them a name, and MN decided we did not not FB. They are where they are now, and we are where we are because of that. It will not change in a year or two. It will take time.

I might add, at my age, I don't have much time, but I am still patient for it to happen.

Whether we like it or not, we have to be big time, and it is now up to Jerry Kill to get us big.

btw..You were not just venting. A lot of what you said is reality. Buttttttt... In this day and age of instant gratification or fire the coaches, I will be patient.

And I agree, I think we will beat MSU. Check out the Predict the Score Thread and make your guess.

GO GOPHERS!!!

One thing I have noticed...Bleed, GL, Chris Monter, etc, never enter. Why is that? Oh, never mind, I know why. :) hee hee hee,

I am gonna take you back to the days when Minnesota stopped scheduling Nebraska, because Nebraska was a cupcake. (50-60;s). In between times, Nebraska decided FB could give them a name, and MN decided we did not not FB. They are where they are now, and we are where we are because of that. It will not change in a year or two. It will take time.

I might add, at my age, I don't have much time, but I am still patient for it to happen.[/B]

My first introduction into a Gopher-Corn Husker game was in 1974 when a sea of red came to town by the bus loads. The score was 54-0.

I looked it up: Minnesota still leads the series 29-21: http://ericthrall.com/gophers/football/nebraska.html

Buck,

I am gonna take you back to the days when Minnesota stopped scheduling Nebraska, because Nebraska was a cupcake. (50-60;s). In between times, Nebraska decided FB could give them a name, and MN decided we did not not FB. They are where they are now, and we are where we are because of that.

So you were around when UM was a solid program. I agree that the school decided we did not care about football. But the question remains, why did they decide that? What happened in the Twin Cities in the early 60s that changed everything for Gopher football? Did whatever that was cause the U's leadership to decide not to try to compete anymmore? Prior to that time, a force in the conference -- after that a team in the bottom half of the Big10.

Top Bottom