Random observations

#93fanclub

Reaction score
1. Where's the smiling and enthusiasm Brew? Why so tense? It's hard to be happy when your tit is in the wringer, I guess.
2. I conclude that the cameramen were told "under no circumstances, do not show a single one of those cheap-ass Gopher fans"
3. The good ole boy next to me at the bar finally admitted that Weber's a putz and then Gray fumbles on the winning drive. Can we have a three-way competitiion for the starting job this spring? I've been hollering for Gray all season, but everytime he fumbles the Weber apologists say "See?"
4. Is Brew stubborn or stupid? The guy on the other side of me at the bar said he thinks it may be a deadly combination of the two.
5. It is great that you have the ability to recruit better talent. But you'd better know how to turn them into Big Ten Champions. That is what I want and what a lot of others of us want. That is what the players want as well. Those players are busting their balls for us (and yes, I include Weber as well - none of them are deliberately trying to play poorly) and we owe it to them to demand quality coaching. Brew, I love you man, but you had better start producing. I received an e-mail "push poll" the other day from the administration that seemed to be guiding me to the conclusion that everything is hunky dorey since we have a new stadium, we have tailgating and we have "game day atmosphere". I'd trade it all in for a Big Ten Championship.

As Burnsy might have said "Happy f'in New Year.

My random observations:

1-whatever happened to patience? Even Fat Pat is conceding that Brewster deserves five years. How about seeing what he can do with his own recruits when they are upper classmen before making a judgement?

2-the offense can only get better with a years experience in the new offense (at least I hope).

3-Weber is not the answer at QB, Gray (or even Alipate) need to be given a legitimate shot at the QB position next year.

4-Gray needs to be on the field, hopefully at QB, but if not, find a place for him

5-what happened to the return game? I thought Stoudermire was going to be a stud on KR's but he really disappointed (especially in the late season games) and Allen did nothing on PR's.

5-I continue to be impressed with second half adjustments by the defensive coaches

6-Da'Jon McKnight appears to be a keeper

7-the DB's played well last night but the lack of a real thumper back there seemed real noticeable (hello, Herschel Thornton )

Question

Why wasn't Gray given a shot at competing THIS year? I am tired of Brew saying that he'll have a chance to compete in the spring. That tells me Weber was anointed QB and that he was allowed to piss away the season. That is either stubborn or stupid or both. And perhaps it will be Alipate. Weber will make a fine third-string QB and if the coach wants to give us a few laughs, line him up at wide receiver again. McKnight is defineitly a keeper. Looking forward to seeing all the redshirts including Victor Kiese.

One bright note

One penalty for 8 yards.

The play of the QBs and RBs will all be dependant on the OL. That is the main weakness of this team.

I liked the play McKnight and the fact of only one penalty.

Happy New Year everyone.

The coaching was not that bad on a whole, there were a few questionable decisions, but that will always happen. If you figure the QB play alone, he left 28 points on the field. None of the little bitches would have mattered !!! The team on a whole looked improved. Especially the young kids in the D-line.

I can kind of sympathize with Brewster trying to make this QB call, because of the fact that Weber can make some really nice throws at times, and is probably a better passer overall than Gray. I am expecting that next year we'll either see A) improved consistency from Weber as the starter or B) Gray as the starter. In other words, I think he's pulling the plug on Weber right now by declaring this competition - sending the message that if Adam doesn't improve, he will not start next year.

My randoms:

1) Deleon ran better in this game than any previous game.
2) Stoudamire didn't look good as a WR. On KRs, ISU had the best coverage I've seen all year.
3) ISU players did an awful lot of yapping. Especially Arnaud. Pretty cocky bunch. Too bad we didn't shut them up.
4) You could tell Triplett was healthier, back to his old self.
5) Thought Kirksey and Edwards outplayed Small and Brown. Bodes well for the future.
6) Simoni had a poor game, poor tackling technique.
7) DE is our weakest position on defense. I think the poor DE play was the main reason for the big rushing yardage against. Rewind to the Wisky game. Their blocking scheme is murder on DEs - you need good DEs to keep them under control and we didn't have it.
8) I was definitely not pumped up before the game, but once the ball is kicked, it's amazing how damn tense I become. Mrs. Firejumper put up with a lot of my screaming and swearing that was out of proportion with the significance of the game. Hats off to her.

Top Bottom