Rand: NCAA Tourney is minimum requirement for Pitino's honeymoon to last

Next year's team is concerning. He needs to make the NCAA's this year, because its not happening next year unless he signs a big time Juco front court player. The way things are looking for next year, they will be starting over. Young and inexperienced.

G - Mason Johnson
G - Dorsey McBrayer
F - Morris - ?
F - King - Diedou
C - Konate - Nwanko

Pitino needs to come through this spring for recruits or have a huge recruiting class next year

Next year's team is concerning. He needs to make the NCAA's this year, because its not happening next year unless he signs a big time Juco front court player. The way things are looking for next year, they will be starting over. Young and inexperienced.

G - Mason Johnson
G - Dorsey McBrayer
F - Morris - ?
F - King - Diedou
C - Konate - Nwanko

Pitino needs to come through this spring for recruits or have a huge recruiting class next year

Totally agree. Somehow Pitino has to find an athletic PF who can rebound and contribute right away. That's obviously our biggest hole this year and would do wonders next year. What I wouldn't give for a Mbakwe type Juco player.

G - Mason Johnson
G - Dorsey McBrayer
F - Morris - ?
F - King - Diedou
C - Konate - Nwanko

You forgot Buggs. I think that the Guard production will be no different than this year... only difference will be the loss of walker.

They're not and they haven't. Monson got 7 + years. Tubby got 6. Pitino likely will get that many unless he leaves on his own. All we're arguing is that there are at least minimal standards to be met, and you seem to be arguing we can have none for 4-5 years.

How would you figure I said that? I said his seat shouldn't be on fire after 3 years of no NCAA bids.

One NCAA bid in 3 years is a pretty minimal expectation.

Agreed, that basically means you need to finish in the top half of a conference that includes Penn State, Northwestern, Purdue, and Rutgers one out of three times.

Looking at the TOP 100/150 recruits on ESPN and Rivals by year:

2014: Ohio St. 13th, 22nd, 28th: Indiana 20th, 47th: Michigan 38th: Illinois 44th: Maryland 52nd: Purdue 87th 89th: Minnesota 0:

2015: Ohio St. 45th 61st 77th: Indiana 0: Michigan 65th: Illinois 34th 50th: Maryland 0: Purdue 0: Rutgers 56th: Michigan St. 65th: Nebraska 62nd 66th: Penn St. 81st: Northwestern 91st. Wisconsin 95th: Minnesota 86th, 135th

2016: Minnesota: ? 24th and 35th? and........who knows at this point. Take the recruiting services however you want. I personally don't see an uptick till 2015-2016. I assume most of us would believe that there is no guarantee that recruits will work out, or that we'll have a national championship again. It would be fantastic of course, but we rolls the dice and takes our chances.

Looking at the TOP 100/150 recruits on ESPN and Rivals by year:

2014: Ohio St. 13th, 22nd, 28th: Indiana 20th, 47th: Michigan 38th: Illinois 44th: Maryland 52nd: Purdue 87th 89th: Minnesota 0:

2015: Ohio St. 45th 61st 77th: Indiana 0: Michigan 65th: Illinois 34th 50th: Maryland 0: Purdue 0: Rutgers 56th: Michigan St. 65th: Nebraska 66th: Penn St. 81st: Northwestern 91st. Wisconsin 95th: Minnesota 86th, 135th

2016: Minnesota: ? 24th and 35th? and........who knows at this point. Take the recruiting services however you want. I personally don't see an uptick till 2015-2016. I assume most of us would believe that there is no guarantee that recruits will work out, or that we'll have a national championship again. It would be fantastic of course, but we rolls the dice and takes our chances.

That's kind of my point. It takes time to recruit those guys. And then it takes time to have them advance through the learning curve of the big 10 and the system. Are there basketball players that make impacts early in their career? Absolutely. Do they generally go to mid to lower half big 10 teams with a new coach? No.

I wonder if Pitino gives a **** when the honeymoon ends or how many years you guys are giving him - my guess is not.

I wonder if Pitino gives a **** when the honeymoon ends or how many years you guys are giving him - my guess is not.

Yeah, if all gopher fans were on this forum then it's apparent that the honeymoon period is already over or never really began for about half of the fan base.

You're probably right. I'm sure he's more worried about his 0-2 basketball team that can't pass, rebound, shoot, or play half court defense.

Probably also worried about the players that he recruits leaving after 2 months and assaulting their girlfriends.

I think he has better things to give a **** about.

Yeah, if all gopher fans were on this forum then it's apparent that the honeymoon period is already over or never really began for about half of the fan base.

Gophs are not making the tournament with a frontcourt as currently constituted.

Top Bottom