Ralph..

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
I like ya. You seem like a nice kid. You made the decision to come be a Gopher and have given four years of your life wearing the maroon and gold and we thank you for that, you deserve your ovation on senior night.

But ... damnit, you're tough to watch.

The left handed sky hook in the first half was a thing of beauty...except it barely drew iron. I have no doubt in my mind I could take Ralph to the hole and abuse him in a game of 1 on 1. Iowa had no fear going to the hoop as they knew Ralph was not going to do a damn thing about it

I try not to be negative on this board (there is waaaay too much of that), but I'm seriously looking forward to his graduation. His lethargic, emotionless, soft play rubs off on the other guys and absolutely kills us at times.

Ralph wasn't the only reason we lost... Coleman was playing? Guards threw the ball away how many times? Missed free throws again at the end. And team defense was terrible at the end of the game...

It wasn't Ralph's fault he got the ball on the post at the end of the game, it was Tubby's. Tubby called the timeout, Tubby decided (somehow) that the ball should go to Ralph in the post. Ralph did, what you expect Ralph to do in such a situation. I expect Tubby Smith to be able to outcoach Fran McCaffery, but that didn't happen tonight. What would the score have been if the Gophers didn't hit such a good percentage from 3 tonight?

The left handed sky hook in the first half

If I hear one more person call Ralph's shot a "sky hook", I'm going to barf.

For the record, this is a sky hook:
Ralph's hook barely gets above the rim. I think it reaches its peak at the rim.

Ralph played 1.5 minutes in the last 9.
Ralph was our second best player tonight (Austin Hollins).

I'd definitely put this loss on him.

The real ballbuster last night was at the three minute mark when Elliot missed a point blank layup and Marble Jr. went down a made a three. We would have been up by seven but instead up by two with the momentum in Iowa's favor. I'm not faulting Elliot either but that was tough.

Funny. I thought the ballbuster was Welch throwing the ball away 5 times in the first half.

It wasn't Ralph's fault he got the ball on the post at the end of the game, it was Tubby's. Tubby called the timeout, Tubby decided (somehow) that the ball should go to Ralph in the post. Ralph did, what you expect Ralph to do in such a situation. I expect Tubby Smith to be able to outcoach Fran McCaffery, but that didn't happen tonight. What would the score have been if the Gophers didn't hit such a good percentage from 3 tonight?

+19

10-19

52.6%

I thought the ballbuster was Welch throwing the ball away 5 times in the first half.

Nah, we overcame those and got up by 10 in the second half.

Love the avatar by the way. :clap:

Love the avatar by the way

Lol, I still remember people walking around the Metrodome during Les Steckel's infamous season with bags of their heads. A lost way of expressing disappointment if you ask me.

...and to think 3.0 was thinking of going to the draft last season...gack.

If you look at the boxscore, the only real difference is turnovers. You can say all you want that despite Welch having 5 in the first half we were still winning...BUT, those are missed scoring opportunities and how many of those turnovers led to Iowa points? (I honestly don't know).

Not a 3.0 fan at all...waste of BIG space in my book, but turnovers were the dagger last night.

I would add steals. Iowa had 11 to our 1!!

...and to think 3.0 was thinking of going to the draft last season...gack.

If you look at the boxscore, the only real difference is turnovers. You can say all you want that despite Welch having 5 in the first half we were still winning...BUT, those are missed scoring opportunities and how many of those turnovers led to Iowa points? (I honestly don't know).

Not a 3.0 fan at all...waste of BIG space in my book, but turnovers were the dagger last night.

"Unathletic" Iowa had 11 steals to our 1. We are supposed to be the team that gets steals and creats turnovers. Lucky we hit our 3's or we would have been blown out.

Also how can Rodney only get 2 rebounds in 32 minutes?

Just heard on 1500 that Ralph and Rodney had a combined 0 rebounds until 7+ minutes left in the game.

I see they had a combined 4 rebounds for the entire game.

You made the decision to come be a Gopher and have given four years of your life wearing the maroon and gold and we thank you for that, you deserve your ovation on senior night.

You should thank his Dad for that, because it sounds like he would have been gone if Daddy wasn't still in charge of little Ralphie.

Hey at least he's the best of the II's children.

Yeah, Ralph is horrible to watch, but Elliot was missing layups last night, and you can't leave a guy like that in there. What killed us last night was our guard play, in my opinion. We hit some threes, but we turned it over a ton. The problem with that is that Iowa wasn't hitting many threes, so they had to get their buckets in transition, which they were able to do by going around ol slow-coach Julian like he was tied to a post. Man, that was rough. Just a little hustle, just a LITTLE, or if not hustle, some smart play, a little understanding of how to play against a zone, and we stroll out of there with an easy win. We go up 10 points. 10. Then, we go back in our dribble-the-ball-and-jack-up-a-jumper offense, which killed us. This is frustrating.

" I expect Tubby Smith to be able to outcoach Fran McCaffery..." Why do you expect that? Read his biography.

If you're unhappy with Ralph's play, blame Tubby...he recruited him and he was responsible for Ralph's development. In many ways, I believe Ralph and Tubby are tied together and as Ralph goes, so go the Gophers and Tubby...If Ralph finishes the season the way he's playing now, Tubby will almost certainly gone by the end of March.

Lol, I still remember people walking around the Metrodome during Les Steckel's infamous season with bags of their heads. A lost way of expressing disappointment if you ask me.

The Gophers had a player in the mid-50's by the name of "Boots" Simonovich. He was 6'11" and the reason they called him "Boots" was that his feet were the size of pontoon floats. I remember an article in the tribune on Boots, who I believe was from Eveleth or Bruton, MN, on how they had to order special shoes for the the big guy. Because of his feet, Boots wasn't the most nimble dude out there and coudn't even dunk the BB. He did a pretty good job of finishing around the basket from what I remember at the age of 10. EE doesn't have the best footwork and as yet doesn't seem to have any type of offensive game in or out.
He kind of reminds me of an early Chris Hagan. If he gets to that level by the time he is a senior we will be very fortunate. But right now he is "Boots"

The real ballbuster last night was at the three minute mark when Elliot missed a point blank layup and Marble Jr. went down a made a three. We would have been up by seven but instead up by two with the momentum in Iowa's favor. I'm not faulting Elliot either but that was tough.

By far the biggest sequence of the game. There was still pleny of time on the shot clock, and EE should not have even tried that tough shot. Bad ankle, early in the shot clock, and i think it was blocked. A little more ball movement and they would have had a wide open 3.

Top Bottom