Radio show Knox/Quinn/Arrington

Gold Rush

Reaction score
They talked about the OSU/Gopher game quite a bit this morning. All three were extremely high on OSU and Quinn remarked this game will not even be close - that OSU should blow them out by at least 28 points. They talked about how great the OSU was compared to everyone else in the Big Ten. They have the best WR's in college football and their lines just wear down opposing lines and grind them into the ground. They have so much talent they are able to just sub in quality for each play. In particular, Quinn and Arrington gave the Gophers no hope and no chance.

Knox did mention the Gophers have the #1 RB in the Big Ten and the offensive line is senior dominated so they needed to control the clock and not get into a track meet because they wouldn't be able to outscore OSU, but if they could continue to run the ball and hit some receivers they could win if they made it into an ugly game. Forecast calls for 100 per cent chance of rain tonight. This could help us but we can NOT lose the turnover battle.

I think Quinn and Arrington did all their homework on OSU and none on the Gophers. I agree with Knox that the Gophers really need to be able to grind out yards on the ground. OSU will try to key on that run so Morgan will need to hit some receivers to keep them honest. OSU has a great team and will be the toughest team we play all year, but Gopher fans that saw those big wins vs. Penn St. and Auburn a couple years ago know they are capable of taking out one of the big boys if they execute their game plan.

The crowd should be crazy if the Gophers keep the game close. They are going to storm the field if the Gophers win and if the team keeps it close it should get even crazier if they get a taste for it. I don't think OSU will get phased by the Gopher crowd but the Gophers will feed off it - especially after a year with no crowds!! We DO have a chance here but it will take everything we have got!!

It's very hard to pick an unranked team to beat an OSU team that is ranked top 4.
Especially with how NCAA football is right now where Alabama, Clemson, and OSU are a step above everyone else as much as they are.

We beat top ranked teams before like OSU under Mason, but a 2nd ranked OSU team then doesn't have the separation above the rest of the Big Ten like an OSU team does now.

OSU's average margin of victory last year over Big Ten teams was >21.

This isn't the same as us playing Penn St in 2019.
Penn St was a "in the pack" top 10 team.
OSU is on a higher level

I'm not predicting a Gopher victory.....but the recipe is there for the possibility.

This would not be the Miracle on Ice if it happened....

Ohio St. is "inexperienced", but those inexperienced guys are the number 3 rated QB recruit from two years, the number 1 RB recruit from last year, etc., etc.

Stating the obvious, we will have to control the hell out of the ball AND convert for points. No 11 play drives and missed FG/turnovers. They will get a lot of big plays on offense, only way to slow them down is to limit their opportunities and get a few breaks (turnovers).

Will be a tough game tonight.

Ohio St. is "inexperienced", but those inexperienced guys are the number 3 rated QB recruit from two years, the number 1 RB recruit from last year, etc., etc.

Stating the obvious, we will have to control the hell out of the ball AND convert for points. No 11 play drives and missed FG/turnovers. They will get a lot of big plays on offense, only way to slow them down is to limit their opportunities and get a few breaks (turnovers).

Will be a tough game tonight.
It will be indeed but if there is any consolation, it will be that whatever team we play the rest of the way will not be as talented as the one we play tonight.

I am reminded of the Northwestern team that went to the Rose Bowl. They were similar to us in that they had a senior-laden offensive line. The Gophers had them down 14-3 and it looked like we were going to run them right out of the Dome. But they were extremely poised and didn't panic. They just got down to business and handed the Gophers their lunch. THAT is the poise the Gophers need this year - no matter what happens, that offensive line (and Tanner Morgan) need to just get back to business and move back down the field.

We may be dismissed by a lot of the national "experts" but we will never have this type of experience on the offensive line ever again so we have to make it count!!

It will be indeed but if there is any consolation, it will be that whatever team we play the rest of the way will not be as talented as the one we play tonight.

I am reminded of the Northwestern team that went to the Rose Bowl. They were similar to us in that they had a senior-laden offensive line. The Gophers had them down 14-3 and it looked like we were going to run them right out of the Dome. But they were extremely poised and didn't panic. They just got down to business and handed the Gophers their lunch. THAT is the poise the Gophers need this year - no matter what happens, that offensive line (and Tanner Morgan) need to just get back to business and move back down the field.

We may be dismissed by a lot of the national "experts" but we will never have this type of experience on the offensive line ever again so we have to make it count!!
On a side note -- just listening to the KFAN interview with Paul Allen and Nordo interviewing Mike Grimm. I have NEVER heard an interviewer talk over their guest as much in my entire life -- just horrible!!! PA and Nordo just did a horrible job on this interview - they should get a reprimand from the station manager for doing so poorly. Good lord - it was almost unlistenable but Grimm did a good job of overtalking those two - they sounded like a couple of hacks. Bad job!!!

On a side note -- just listening to the KFAN interview with Paul Allen and Nordo interviewing Mike Grimm. I have NEVER heard an interviewer talk over their guest as much in my entire life -- just horrible!!!
It seems to me like it's PA's defense mechanism. He does a better job as in interviewer when he knows something about the topic being discussed, but when he doesn't he tends to blurt out whatever superficial bits of information that he has (or thinks he has). I think that he does it to avoid looking uninformed, but it has just the opposite result.

From OSU's defensive point of view, their game plan is very easy, stop the run and make TM win by passing. Considering that Mo is one of the nation's top RB's and TM looked very average last season, I expect OSU to sell out for the run and make MN win by throwing. It could get ugly if TM throws a couple of picks. We have to hope that O-line is up to the challenge. If they can move OSU's d-linemen and open up some holes, it could be a fun game.

From OSU's defensive point of view, their game plan is very easy, stop the run and make TM win by passing. Considering that Mo is one of the nation's top RB's and TM looked very average last season, I expect OSU to sell out for the run and make MN win by throwing. It could get ugly if TM throws a couple of picks. We have to hope that O-line is up to the challenge. If they can move OSU's d-linemen and open up some holes, it could be a fun game.
Yup. Expect OSU to be very physical outside with our receivers and bring safeties closer to the box to both help with run and RPO behind the LB's. With no Bateman, TJ, and maybe CAB, I can't imagine OSU is all that worried about getting beat deep consistently. It's gonna be a GRIND on offense.

On a side note -- just listening to the KFAN interview with Paul Allen and Nordo interviewing Mike Grimm. I have NEVER heard an interviewer talk over their guest as much in my entire life -- just horrible!!! PA and Nordo just did a horrible job on this interview - they should get a reprimand from the station manager for doing so poorly. Good lord - it was almost unlistenable but Grimm did a good job of overtalking those two - they sounded like a couple of hacks. Bad job!!!
I listened to Justin Conzemius this morning and Chris Hawkey felt the need to talk too much and say nothing.

Leber or Justin were talking about the fact North Carolina could be good, and Hawkey is like "Woah, wow, Really?!"

Conzemius said he expects Tyler Nubin to have a big night. Hawkey askes "Where does he play?"

Okay, so you don't know much about college football. That's fine. Let the experts talk.

Leber is talking about the Va Tech game he has, and Hawkey interrupts again "I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!"

Well, no. I mean, if you love it, then why are you just saying stuff with no context?
It's okay if you just be quiet during the segment. If you actually love it, tell us why.

Fortunately for us though, we have podcasts available to us of good gopher football content.

I listened to Justin Conzemius this morning and Chris Hawkey felt the need to talk too much and say nothing.

Leber or Justin were talking about the fact North Carolina could be good, and Hawkey is like "Woah, wow, Really?!"

Conzemius said he expects Tyler Nubin to have a big night. Hawkey askes "Where does he play?"

Okay, so you don't know much about college football. That's fine. Let the experts talk.

Leber is talking about the Va Tech game he has, and Hawkey interrupts again "I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!"

Well, no. I mean, if you love it, then why are you just saying stuff with no context?
It's okay if you just be quiet during the segment. If you actually love it, tell us why.

Fortunately for us though, we have podcasts available to us of good gopher football content.
It is shocking the amount of air time KFAN gives to people who are clearly not sports fans. They might like 1 sport (Vikings) but they are not general sports fans. Most of my buddies who follow college football know North Carolina could be good this year and they have a good QB.

Their ratings are good, so people must like them.

Top Bottom