Quotes from Laurence Maroney's first time back to the U in a decade!

Reaction score
Laurence Maroney spoke to the media prior to today's game. Here's what he had to say about his homecoming.

On how the team looks, specifically the running game:

“It’s been a long time so they do things a lot different. They’ve got a whole different offensive setup. We just put Matt Spaeth on the line and just run between the tackles…It’s hard looking at it when you’re used to seeing Minnesota in a different light. They’ve got talent and they’ve got things to work on but they’re good. They just got to keep working.”

On seeing David Cobb break his rushing record last season:

“To be honest, I never knew I had it. To be honest, I didn’t. When they started calling me last year asking me about it, I didn’t what they were talking about…I tweeted him and told him congratulations because that was big. That was good on his behalf…Records are meant to be broken. That’s what they told me.”

On Cobb bringing the running back position back to prominence at Minnesota:

“I was really proud of him. After me and Marion left, they did good but it wasn’t the same. Just to see him come back and really breathe life back into the position brought tears to my eyes.”

On his relationship with the current team:

“I don’t think I’ve even met the players. I haven’t been back in 10 years. Last time I was here it was December of 2005 and now we’re in 2015. A lot of players changed since then. I think Decker was a freshman the last time I was here. You know that’s a long time ago.”

On being back:

“Everything’s new. It’s different. I wish I would have played in this stadium; it’s a cool stadium…I wish I could get like a week back at school and come here. Now I can just watch from the sideline.”

On Jerry Kill:

“I got to meet Kill a few times…He’s a good guy. I like Kill. I wish I got to play for him but I had the great Mason. That was my guy. We did a lot of things here. Kill is a great coach. I like the changes he’s doing in the program…I wish nothing but the best for him.”

On Gopher football:

“To be honest, I don’t even watch sports…I did watch the TCU game. I really felt like we could have won that game. I really felt like we beat ourselves…It took me back to the games we played against Michigan where we should have won but we just beat ourselves. Those are hard games to swallow.”

Top Bottom