Quit ripping on Tubby

akoch6767

Reaction score
For those of your who continue to scrutinize the coaching of Smith...and how he handles off court issues...think of this...these players are 19-23 years old...Smith has his own life to worry about...and he can't be everywhere at once...he is sticking to the guidelines that the U has ordered him to follow in these situations....19-23 year old men should be mature enough to handle their own off court issues...Smith is not their babysitter...he is only hear to coach them...and give them advice about life.

OK, I won't mention that 21-24 B10 record through 2+ years.

oops....I did it again.

I think he has been dealt a bad hand so far with all these issues...lets not forget that this team won 9 games the year before he took over...it was looking like a Detroit Lions Meltdown...now he has lead us to back to back 20 win seasons...I think Tubby is going to come through this mess and assemble a pretty solid team next year...the boys will be prepared is my guess!

For those of your who continue to scrutinize the coaching of Smith...and how he handles off court issues...think of this...these players are 19-23 years old...Smith has his own life to worry about...and he can't be everywhere at once...he is sticking to the guidelines that the U has ordered him to follow in these situations....19-23 year old men should be mature enough to handle their own off court issues...Smith is not their babysitter...he is only here to coach them...and give them advice about life.

Let's make a deal. You stop scrutinizing and criticizing the players, then Tubby is off limits too.

Tubby is the making a lot of money and has been in this business for a long time. I'm certain he is well equipped to handle a little "scrutiny" and criticism from people with less experience/knowledge about his business (high profile collegiate athletics)--you know fans and foes. If not, he needs to retire now.

Tough season, but if anyone could handle it, a "future Hall of Fame coach" should be that one to do it.

The players...I have said this in a previous post...have had to face adversity this year...and have really played their rear ends off in this tough situation(as they should) up until the OSU game saturday...They have to realize that there is still hope of making the NCAA...get over this bad deck of cards that they have been built...go back to having fun...not worry about this mess...and win some games...Tubby will coach them well...and motivate them...they just have to respond.

For those of your who continue to scrutinize the coaching of Smith...and how he handles off court issues...think of this...these players are 19-23 years old...Smith has his own life to worry about...and he can't be everywhere at once...he is sticking to the guidelines that the U has ordered him to follow in these situations....19-23 year old men should be mature enough to handle their own off court issues...Smith is not their babysitter...he is only hear to coach them...and give them advice about life.

How many millions do you get paid?

He better damn well be a babysitter and get those kids going to school. Google his contract. He is paid a ton of money to 1... Ensure the team gets good grades (APR Score) and 2.... Get in to the NCAA tourney.

It is in his damn contract and he can not get there when his starting PG is out and two players failed to ever make it on the court the season.

It is in his contract, this is what he is paid to do. What is it? 12 kids? I think he has 8 coaches plus academic staff.

Get real.

Why can't we rip on Tubby? Isn't this an open forum to discuss any and all opinions about Gopher basketball? I thought so.

And Tubby deserves his fair share of scrutiny. I think he handled the situation with Royce very poorly. I still wonder why he pushed Royce away from the team after the laptop incident broke. That was the time when Royce needed the team more than ever and Tubby turned his back on him. Did Tubby seriously expect Royce to rehabilitate himself and then rejoin the team?

1.8 million a season is it....He's highly underpaid for a prestigious coach...He obviously will bench and cut players from his team who do not go to class...nor is this Kentucky folks...we've made the tournament with a young team already...this season we have been dealt a rotten apple...players who were not expected to play a significant role are being forced to step up big time! He cannot be every place at once...these are men who should be able to handle themselves off the court...Tubby will and has taken care of the players who do not meet his standards...Lets say after next season we can start bashing this guy if he's not getting the job done....let's see if this incoming recruiting class pans out...then we can talk smack...I think the people who are infuriated by this teams performance so far need to "Get Real" We have improved tremendously and will continue to do so after this mess is resolved...we had 9 wins just a few years ago before Tubby took over...he has taken this team to new heights...and I believe he loves it here and will take this team to a deep tourney run as early as next season.

1.8 million a season is it....He's highly underpaid for a prestigious coach...He obviously will bench and cut players from his team who do not go to class...nor is this Kentucky folks...we've made the tournament with a young team already...this season we have been dealt a rotten apple...players who were not expected to play a significant role are being forced to step up big time! He cannot be every place at once...these are men who should be able to handle themselves off the court...Tubby will and has taken care of the players who do not meet his standards...Lets say after next season we can start bashing this guy if he's not getting the job done....let's see if this incoming recruiting class pans out...then we can talk smack...I think the people who are infuriated by this teams performance so far need to "Get Real" We have improved tremendously and will continue to do so after this mess is resolved...we had 9 wins just a few years ago before Tubby took over...he has taken this team to new heights...and I believe he loves it here and will take this team to a deep tourney run as early as next season.

1.8 MM would make him top 10 in the NCAA. He is overpaid.

http://www.americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/collegebasketballcoaches.html

alright yes he is the highest paid coach...I guess I was basing my salary numbers off football coaches...who get paid much more... I still believe he is earning his salary...you guys can rip on me all you want if the team is no better next year than it is this year...I love gopher basketball and I only want the best for the team...I do believe Tubby will get through this mess and make a deep run through the tourney.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/12359321.html

Tubby Smith became the highest-paid employee in University of Minnesota history when he signed his memorandum of understanding last March (2007). The university sweetened the pot by several hundred thousand dollars over the seven-year deal before Smith officially signed his contract, which was made public Tuesday.

Smith can earn more than $13 million in base, supplemental and camp money over the seven-year contract, and can earn additional money in incentives that could boost his annual salary to more than $3.3 million this year. He also receives a car, tickets to Gophers athletic contests and travel expenses to games for his family, plus retirement money.

Sounds like a little more than the amount you stated. And has the highest paid University employee to date, I'm pretty sure a little "scrutiny" three years into your seven year contract is not only warranted but should be expected.

I was referring to the people who don't know anything and call this guy out...I have seen many dumb posts about Smith on here...but hey we all make mistakes...I just did...you called it out...and I think some people may be making a mistake in thinking that this guy won't be able to get the job done...it takes a fair amount of time to rebuild a program that took a beating in the previous decade.

Why can't we rip on Tubby? Isn't this an open forum to discuss any and all opinions about Gopher basketball? I thought so.

And Tubby deserves his fair share of scrutiny. I think he handled the situation with Royce very poorly. I still wonder why he pushed Royce away from the team after the laptop incident broke. That was the time when Royce needed the team more than ever and Tubby turned his back on him. Did Tubby seriously expect Royce to rehabilitate himself and then rejoin the team?

Absolutely agree with this assessment. Put yourself in White's shoes once this happens. He knows he's innocent of the allegation being thrown at him. He just went through a tough ordeal that, yes, he brought on himself, and was trying to move on. Then, bam, he's accused of something he didn't do, and now we know he didn't do it, and the team distanced itself from him. I bet he felt like he had tremendous support from the U during that period.

"akoch6767: ouch.... Gotta stop Battle....don't know if we can.... akoch6767....PSU 78-69"

Seriously, you come here and whine about all of us giving Tubby heat, you praise Tubby and say he is going to lead us to a deep run in the tournament... and then you pick Penn State to win this week. Seriously! You've lost all credibility in my eyes. If we lose to Penn State, we'd probably have better luck playing the powerball than even making the tournament. You need to wake up!

First of all, I'm not talking about making a deep run this season...the odds of us making the NCAA are not in our favor...Second off PSU is the best 0-9 conference team in the country.....Third...without the stellar D of Al nolan...who is going to shut down battle(40pt game?) Finally, yes yes I do hope my prediction is sour...if this team is mentally prepared...fixes the problem of being psyched out on the road...they will win! I'm talking about next season...when all of this B.S with White and Mbakwe is behind the team...they can make a fresh start...The players can ease up a bit and not have to worry about all these expectations placed upon them by the biased people out there...and win 24 ball games..make a sweet 16...This gopher team is very talented...Tubby knows it...I just don't think that the players know that yet...Lets face it White and Mbakwe were supposed to be the saviors for this basketball team...however that is not the case...I do see RS3 improving tremendously over this year....same with Devoe....Look for these guys to be huge impact players next year...and possibly make the All Big Ten first, second or third team.

Accountability

I have no problem with people ripping on Tubby, Supporting Tubby, Dressing Like Tubby, Dating chicks named Tubby. It goes with his job and it is fair game. That being said, we have far too many hand-holders arguing in here that the student athletes need personal supervisors in the form of a head coach. That is just ridiculous to me. What happened to personal accountability?

What is best for these adults in life? Is it someone making sure they brush their teeth, pay their bills, go to class, finish their homework, tie their shoes? Or is it someone saying to these young men - You are in control, you are accountable, you need to be responsible or you are going to live with the consequences? I prefer the later. I hope to raise my kids this way and I would demand my kids coaches treat them this way. They are adults and should be treated as such. Teach em to fish versus giving them a fish is always a solid outlook.

It is unfair to rip on Tubby for any of these off court issues. He does control what happens on the court to a greater extent and that I think is fair to question him on, but to blame him for Mibweekwes punching his girlfriend named Tubby, or White assaulting a tubby Mall cop and stealing a laptop, or Nolen skipping his class is a stretch.

Tubby is not getting ripped at all. If you want to see ripping follow Brewster's trail. Tubby is responsible for his recruits. He is accountable for recruiting kids that can play and help the team. He has right now two main players out for legal reasons and another starter out for academic reasons. Is all of this his fault? Nope, but college coaches are not just there to conduct practice at 5 every day, they are there to run a successful program that has responsible athletes winning games for the U of M. Is he succeeding at that right now? No.

Tubby is not getting ripped at all. If you want to see ripping follow Brewster's trail. Tubby is responsible for his recruits. He is accountable for recruiting kids that can play and help the team. He has right now two main players out for legal reasons and another starter out for academic reasons. Is all of this his fault? Nope, but college coaches are not just there to conduct practice at 5 every day, they are there to run a successful program that has responsible athletes winning games for the U of M. Is he succeeding at that right now? No.

To know the hearts of men is a very difficult task and to expect Tubby to be a psychologist and to hold him accountable for the off court actions of his players is beyond the scope of any coach nor is it the right thing for his players. Sure some background checks are needed but we all have personality flaws and to ferret those players out that will succeed and those that fail is beyond the skills of even the greatest H.R. gurus. Tubby has just been hit with 3 problems all at the same time. I think it is bad luck and not a reflection on Tubby. I'm sure Tubby could improve on how he handled a few things, but to say he is the one ultimately responsible for these types of issues is a stretch. That is like blaming George W Bush for the attacks on the 9-11 or the attack on Pearl Harbor was FDRs responsibility. Any reasonable person (rep or Dem) will know those events were outside their control. I view this the same as what Tubby is going through. It's how Tubby handles the aftermath that dictates whether he is a good coach or not.

Top Bottom