Quick heads up for Gopher football fans

bonin21

Reaction score
Quick note from a lifelong Gopher hockey fan. If you're looking for something to watch tonight and aren't already aware, there is a massive hockey game on BTN at 7PM CST.

Golden Gophers vs badgers for the Big Ten conference championship. This is the biggest game in modern Big Ten hockey history (started in 2013-14).

Why? Two top five teams in the country. First game between two 20+ win teams this season. 300th meeting against the Gophers' biggest current rival. Gophers are 176-99-24. Hobey Baker winner (Caufield) on the other team. Two highest even strength goal scorers in the country facing off (Caufield (17) vs. Ranta (15)). Ranta was going to be a badger until a few weeks before classes started. #1 seed in the tournament on the line. First time these two have played in a conference championship since 1990.

Sorry for the off topic post, but hockey doesn't get a lot of buzz these days. Check it out if you want to skip the Office reruns and let's see what this team is made of!

Last edited:

You bet...I always root for the Maroon and Gold.
And don't forget to watch our Gopher women take on those Wisconsin gargoyles in volleyball Thursday night on BTN. Two top 4 teams.

Edit: I incorrectly had the original date on my calendar. The first match is this Thursday...and don't forget the rematch on Sunday as well. Thursday and Sunday...Gophers and Badgers...Volleyball. BTN both dates. Both games start at 7pm.

Last edited:

Michigan proved again that the dreaded two goal lead is the worst to hang onto. If I recall correctly, we didn't fare very well against the badgers this season. This is a good game to turn that around. Go Gophers!

While it is disappointing, the Gophers lost the conference mainly out of the cancellations of the second 2 Penn State games, which by all accounts would have been wins. Had we played those games, and nothing else changed, the Gophers would have been conference champs based off of points.

Because that series got cancelled, the conference moved to the back up plan that was agreed to before the season, which was winning percentage. It was that move, and then our subsequent losses, that led to being 2nd place. The NCHC used a different metric that wasn't points, and I believe if that had been used the Gophers would have won the conference as well.

Winning the tournament is a great way for the team to say "We should have won the conference as well", and to get some good vibes going heading into the NCAA tournament.

While it is disappointing, the Gophers lost the conference mainly out of the cancellations of the second 2 Penn State games, which by all accounts would have been wins. Had we played those games, and nothing else changed, the Gophers would have been conference champs based off of points.

Because that series got cancelled, the conference moved to the back up plan that was agreed to before the season, which was winning percentage. It was that move, and then our subsequent losses, that led to being 2nd place. The NCHC used a different metric that wasn't points, and I believe if that had been used the Gophers would have won the conference as well.

Winning the tournament is a great way for the team to say "We should have won the conference as well", and to get some good vibes going heading into the NCAA tournament.

It was definitely disappointing to drop the regular season title. On the bright side....the Gophers should be in contention to win it every year.....so let's brush it off and win the tournament.

Thank you!

Not a hockey guy, but I will try to tune in for this!

Even further motivation- MN is ranked 4 nationally and WI at 5. MN is tied for 4th in pairwise, so I'm assuming a win tonight would more or less clinch a no.1 seed in the NCAA tourney.

Man oh man do I miss a rocking Mariucci arena. Been a graveyard of late. Hopefully we get to see some crowds like that again soon.

Thank you for those links. So fun to see/hear the pop of the crowd for a big time college hockey atmosphere. I loved that "TAKE THAT YOU STINKIN BADGERS!" line. I used to be a pretty die-hard Gopher puck fan but I admit that the last few years has turned into some apathy. I am excited for tonight though. Let's go boys!

Thank you for those links. So fun to see/hear the pop of the crowd for a big time college hockey atmosphere. I loved that "TAKE THAT YOU STINKIN BADGERS!" line. I used to be a pretty die-hard Gopher puck fan but I admit that the last few years has turned into some apathy. I am excited for tonight though. Let's go boys!
This is my all time favorite Gopher video. The cheers from the Gopher fans in the arena which turns into the boos of the student section when they see his glove to his ear.

My favorite goal...championship games bring out championship efforts!

I don't follow hockey much but this is fun. I can never get tired of hearing the Rouser!

Top Bottom