Questions with Gopher Basketball

To be fair, how many people in this age group, with their phones, actually have seen (or at least noticed) anything other than a digital (no hands) clock in their lifetime?

Honestly, most of these players are 22 and under, which means anything that was common prior to about 2005 has never been part of their life. (writing out checks, rotary dial phone, an actual radio in the house, ect)

Remember in the old days, the joke was you needed to grab a 13 year old kid to help you program your VCR? Now, I wonder if you can find a 13 year old kid who would know how to do that, since they're probably too young to have actually seen a working model. I only say that since the last time I actually had a working VCR player in my house was 2004-18 years ago.

To be fair, how many people in this age group, with their phones, actually have seen (or at least noticed) anything other than a digital (no hands) clock in their lifetime?

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Old fashioned wall clocks with hands are still quite common, especially in schools. Having said that, this was still a difficult riddle and I think a lot of people would have trouble guessing the answer regardless of age.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Old fashioned wall clocks with hands are still quite common, especially in schools. Having said that, this was still a difficult riddle and I think a lot of people would have trouble guessing the answer regardless of age.
Ironically, I was just on our local campus yesterday, in the athletic department area. No clocks on the wall in the main office (at least not where I could notice it) SID office has no clock on the wall. I've been in several classrooms in that area of the building-no clocks. Amazingly, there is a small, actual clock on the wall in the 80-some year old gym, but it's off by about an hour. I just asked my intern if she's ever accessed the version of an old clock on her phone. Had never occurred to her. Admittedly, a small sample size. In the office I work in (about 15 individual work areas) , there is exactly one old-fashioned clock with hands on it. It's always about 10-15 minutes fast. :)

Reminds me of the time in 2000, I was talking to an intern about the Lone Ranger, one of the most iconic characters ever (this was before that bad Johnny Depp movie came out) and she had this blank look on her face. She was 20 and had never heard of the Lone Ranger. Just reminded me that what's common knowledge to me might not be for somebody 20-30 years younger than me. Different generations have far different perspectives and experiences than we oldsters.

You'd still think a young person would know what a clock with hands is though. Even though most are digital now...you'd think they'd at least ask how time was told before this technology.

I used the phrase "bottom of the hour" with some 20-somethings the other day. No one knew what it meant. Only one had ever heard of the "top of the hour".

Top Bottom