Question on the final schedule

If Craig Smith had the same record after 2 seasons but said it’s all about the rebuilding process would you say he should be fired as well
He should have already been fired. But the fact that he hasn’t means I think they’ll give him at least 4 years. This will be his best team at Minnesota. Because Garcia and others will leave after this. And he’s projected last in the conferen

If Craig Smith had the same record after 2 seasons but said it’s all about the rebuilding process would you say he should be fired as well

Craig Smith has had success as a head coach. Completely changes the conversation. You’re not comparing apples to apples. His worst season as a head coach had 4 conference wins. Johnson’s best season as a head coach had 4 conference wins. The next season smith went 10-10. Johnson went 2-17. So we wouldn’t be having this conversation if we had Craig Smith.

If he had the same two last place finishes I’d be happy to move on but he has had that pesky thing of prior success. It’s hard to take last twice in the portal era. Curious how many other mid major or major conference teams have done it the last two seasons. I know Georgetown (coach fired) did it. Can’t think of any others.

Couldn’t agree more. His inability to win in the portal era is more concerning than the freshman he has brought in. Because they can leave whenever. That makes this method very difficult.
Agreed. Battle left because he knows it is not getting any better.

Craig Smith has had success as a head coach. Completely changes the conversation. You’re not comparing apples to apples. His worst season as a head coach had 4 conference wins. Johnson’s best season as a head coach had 4 conference wins. The next season smith went 10-10. Johnson went 2-17. So we wouldn’t be having this conversation if we had Craig Smith.

If he had the same two last place finishes I’d be happy to move on but he has had that pesky thing of prior success. It’s hard to take last twice in the portal era. Curious how many other mid major or major conference teams have done it the last two seasons. I know Georgetown (coach fired) did it. Can’t think of any others.
Dan Monson, and Tubby Smith both had prior success before coming to Minnesota but that didn’t seem to do us any good. My point is nothing is guaranteed and if Ben finishes 500 in the conference this year. You can call him successful and now has head coaching experience.

Dan Monson, and Tubby Smith both had prior success before coming to Minnesota but that didn’t seem to do us any good. My point is nothing is guaranteed and if Ben finishes 500 in the conference this year. You can call him successful and now has head coaching experience.

Huh? That isnt at all what we’re talking discussing.

“Previous hires had experience and failed so we should hire someone without experience” is a bizarre take

“Previous hires had experience and failed so we should hire someone without experience” is a bizarre take
If you see Rock in the responders name, just ignore it!

And if Johnson somehow got within a game or two of .500 in conference, he definitely deserves at least another year.

I don’t see that happening but I would be pleasantly surprised.

I’m not saying hire somebody without experience I personally thought it was an odd hire. Just because somebody had experience somewhere else doesn’t necessarily mean it’s gonna happen at the next place. At this point, you gotta give him another year and see what happens. If it ends up being a total dumpster fire, then we start over again.

I’m not saying hire somebody without experience I personally thought it was an odd hire. Just because somebody had experience somewhere else doesn’t necessarily mean it’s gonna happen at the next place. At this point, you gotta give him another year and see what happens. If it ends up being a total dumpster fire, then we start over again.

So if he takes last 3 straight years—you’d give him a 4th year?

For me, yes, and it's not just the record. If the same putrid and non-improving underlying metrics were there, the seat would at least be very warm.

What separates the amateur poker player from the pro is folding before putting more bad chips into the pot and not worrying about the sunk cost fallacy.

None off this matters. CBJ gets an extension after this year

Reading comprehension is not strong.

He said you have to give him another year. I don’t think anyone expects Johnson gone before year 3 since practice has already started. So that would mean year 4. Which I don’t think he should get but I think he will.

He said you have to give him another year. I don’t think anyone expects Johnson gone before year 3 since practice has already started. So that would mean year 4. Which I don’t think he should get but I think he will.
Are you sure though?

I mean there still is time.

And then all the players could enter the portal and we could give schollies to the best intramural team!

I am sorry that this thread (like so many others) has gotten so derailed. It does appear that we can add just one more game. Selfishly, I hope it is a Power 5-type game.

Curious how many other mid major or major conference teams have done it the last two seasons. I know Georgetown (coach fired) did it. Can’t think of any others.

Georgetown fired Patrick Ewing after a five-year tenure where only one of those seasons was above .500. He did have one unexpectedly bright moment: his team made the NCAA tournament by virtue of winning the Big East tournament but they still finished only 13-13 for that season.

It's very rare to fire a coach for performance after two seasons. Johnson's buyout after two seasons was set high largely because it was understood that was very unlikely to happen. I don't know why it's hard for some people around here to understand that.

Georgetown fired Patrick Ewing after a five-year tenure where only one of those seasons was above .500. He did have one unexpectedly bright moment: his team made the NCAA tournament by virtue of winning the Big East tournament but they still finished only 13-13 for that season.

It's very rare to fire a coach for performance after two seasons. Johnson's buyout after two seasons was set high largely because it was understood that was very unlikely to happen. I don't know why it's hard for some people around here to understand that.
I think everyone understands it. Point out one post where it isnt understood. I posited that I couldn't think of any others to finish last back to back years. You posted something completely unrelated to what I said.

Top Bottom