Question on Game Day Tailgating (from OSU fan)

buckeye5

Reaction score
I am an Ohio State alumnus headed up to Minneapolis for the game on Saturday. I am looking forward to seeing the new, on-campus stadium and Minnesota game day in general. It is the only Big Ten campus I have yet to visit (until this weekend).

I understand that tailgating is prohibited more than 6 hours before kick-off but don't have a sense of how this is enforced? We have scouted out a non-season ticket lot near campus (East River Flats), but will it be the case that the parking lot will be closed until 1pm (I suppose it depends on the lot, I am asking generally)? Or are cars able to park but lots are "policed" so that people cannot/do not unload chairs, coolers, tables and food?

Is there a rush to parking lots for space at 6 hours before the game?

We thought if we were able to park late morning at our tailgating spot (but could not tailgate), we would find a campus area bar to watch College GameDay and/or any early game.

I would appreciate any insight from Gopher fans. Thanks in advance.

I am an Ohio State alumnus headed up to Minneapolis for the game on Saturday. I am looking forward to seeing the new, on-campus stadium and Minnesota game day in general. It is the only Big Ten campus I have yet to visit (until this weekend).

I understand that tailgating is prohibited more than 6 hours before kick-off but don't have a sense of how this is enforced? We have scouted out a non-season ticket lot near campus (East River Flats), but will it be the case that the parking lot will be closed until 1pm (I suppose it depends on the lot, I am asking generally)? Or are cars able to park but lots are "policed" so that people cannot/do not unload chairs, coolers, tables and food?

We thought if we were able to park late morning at our tailgating spot (but could not tailgate), we would find a campus area bar to watch College GameDay and/or any early game.

You could park at the East River Flats at 6:55 p.m. and have 100 spots for your party. No need to be concerned with finding a spot.

I can't speak to how they police the 6-hour rule, as I haven't arrived that early. It is a city park, so their rules might be different.

You should check with the management of that lot. The 6 hour rule pertains to the U of M lots but I'm not sure about independent lots. The U lots are chained until they are ready to open and it is far from a mad scramble. Its more like a slow trickle. I'm sure someone on here has parked on the East River Flats and can help.

The Parks board basically just adopted the U's tailgating policies. Per this pdf document from the Parks board, the lots open for tailgating 6 hours before the game. Like the others, I have no idea how strictly that will be enforced. That said, it is a city park lot can be used for other things. As a result, I'm betting that if you get there early to set up but hold off on the grilling and boozing until 1pm I'm guessing they might not care. Worst case scenario is that they turn you away and you come back a little later when it opens.

Top Bottom