Question on a transferred DL

Boilermakerd

Banned
Reaction score
Purdue fan here, thanks for owning us under fleck.

question.. I’m looking to figure out Oregon state v Purdue. Their only DT appears to be the kid who transferred from Minnesota. Was he a playmaker for you guys? Were you sad to lose him? Or was he a non factor who you didn’t have high hopes for. Thank you

question.. I’m looking to figure out Oregon state v Purdue. Their only DT appears to be the kid who transferred from Minnesota. Was he a playmaker for you guys? Were you sad to lose him? Or was he a non factor who you didn’t have high hopes for. Thank you
The bolded. I wouldn't worry about him too much. The fact that Oregon State needed to take him says something (not good) about their d-line.

P.S. Who knows how that 2019 game would have turned out if we didn't injure your QB and Rondale Moore on the same play. We weren't playing that well early on in the season.

He played so he's not one of those guys who couldn't break through and get time.

Having said that our coaches have raved about our DL this coming year and I SUSPECT he read the tea leaves and saw his future at MN at best as a rotation guy (starter if injuries I'm sure), and he wanted more time so portal it was. Understandable decision.

So not a bust by any means, I'm not sure they wanted to lose him as depth is important, but he wasn't busting through the OL either...

He’s a fine rotational player. Gives them depth. Probably helps make their starter better by eating quality minutes. However, nothing an opposition coordinator has to think about specifically.

We had multiple transfers in, thus negating the depth hit to us. He likely would have limited, if any, playing time here, at least on paper.

Decent player, unlikely you'll walk away from the game remembering him very much. I wouldn't have minded having him around for depth this season for sure, but if he's their only DT I can understand why that opportunity would appeal to him.

He wants to be a starter. Oregon State offers a better opportunity.

The Gophers are aggressively building their Defense after Key departures from their 2019 team.

Had to look up who it was so that probably says something about how huge a factor it was to us that he left.

Schad seemed like a solid player while here but he never jumped out as being anything spectacular. Just a decent player, certainly good enough to play at the power 5 level but not a star by any stretch of the imagination.

Schad played a decent amount, esp. in 2019. He has good size. His stats (below) are OK, but they aren’t especially impressive. He is a pretty decent guy, too, it appears. In 2020 our run defense, especially up the middle, started off truly atrocious. Later in the season, the Gophers started to play younger DTs more (Carter and Cheney), and things improved. After the season, PJ brought in two grad transfer DTs, one from Clemson and another from North Carolina. And we have some other highly-rated young talent growing into the DT position. In 2021, Schad might not have cracked the first four rotation for DT here. So, yes, he can play the position and has some strengths—he has seen a lot of Big Ten game time—and he will most likely be in the DT rotation at Oregon State, but I don’t think he will be a particular game-changing force there.

Attachments

• 09FFBDF3-BA23-4423-9F3B-2FC6B49D48E4.png
    09FFBDF3-BA23-4423-9F3B-2FC6B49D48E4.png
    627.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

He’s a fine rotational player. Gives them depth. Probably helps make their starter better by eating quality minutes. However, nothing an opposition coordinator has to think about specifically.

We had multiple transfers in, thus negating the depth hit to us. He likely would have limited, if any, playing time here, at least on paper.
He will be their starter.. and it doesn’t look like they have anyone else

Top Bottom