Question for Mods

GoGoGophers

Banned
Reaction score
With all the crap you allow spewed on this site, why does my post ripping on the morons here and in the local media about how they all overreacted to last night's non-story get deleted?

Too much truth in there?

I guess we should just get back to the regularly scheduled Art Vandelay posts about how terrible Tubby Smith is and how the basketball team is an embarrassment.

I won't even get into the garbage you allow on the football board.

How about another great article from Doogie? Lots of insight in those.

I could not agree more, i have no idea what you wrote but come on media this is out of control. You would think he is Brett Favre or AP hanging on to every breath he takes.

There is no news quit trying to make news out of nothing.

1. HOW ABOUT WAIT UNTIL TUBBYS SAYS WHITE HAS BEEN DISMISSED FROM THE TEAM.
2. WHITE IS BACK PRACTICING WITH TEAM.
3. WHITE IS GOING TO REDSHIRT THIS SEASON - WILL BE PLAYING NEXT YEAR IF THERE ARE NO MORE ISSUES.

THAT IS NEWS - MYRON, WCCO, KARE 11, STAR TRIBUNE.

Every other day you have to read somthing about a kid who just got out of high school and made a mistake.

Sorry

With all the crap you allow spewed on this site, why does my post ripping on the morons here and in the local media about how they all overreacted to last night's non-story get deleted?

Too much truth in there?

I guess we should just get back to the regularly scheduled Art Vandelay posts about how terrible Tubby Smith is and how the basketball team is an embarrassment.

I won't even get into the garbage you allow on the football board.

How about another great article from Doogie? Lots of insight in those.

Sorry I missed your post before the "mods" got to it.

I disagree with folks ridiculing the media on this one though. RW is a local 5 star athlete that is well known in these parts. His story is interesting from a variety of angles and people do read and watch the media reports.

Yesterday's RW frenzy here at GH is an example. I found the whole thing rather amusing.

In any case, count me as one who wasnt staying up late to watch the YOUTUBE "event".

Well son, you see it's like this:

Posting here, like attending the University of Minnesota, is a priviledge and not a right. Being that it is a priviledge there are certain conditions and responsibilities that must be met for your participation and involvement with the program. If they are not met, there will be consequences. If you are unable to accept that the consequences of your actions may result in unpleasant sanctions against you, you are certainly free to choose to involve yourself within another community.

GoGo...I too have had an occassional post deleted. A PM was sent to me about it, explaining why, to which I accepted the decision of the Admin. $hit happens, live with it, ok?

Blizzard,

I would agree with you if I could ever be shown the rules in print and it they were being enforced consistently. Absence both of those, I think the arbitrary deletion of posts is highly questionable, especially on a site that requests donations from its user. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Actually, I don't know what the rules are. I was just waxing poetically. My response was somewhat tongue in cheek. I read his original post and responded to it. I think his was deleted and I noticed and deleted mine. Although I didn't realize his post was deleted by a mod. I would have said it wasn't appropriate. Being called douch-e bags, morons, f-ing idiots, and the like, would seem to go against the tos. I could be wrong though I guess.

Blizzard, etal: All posters need to follow is one guideline. "Treat others the way you want others to treat you." It really is simple.

I, on occassion, have been called more names than one can imagine, so I just follow my Late Father's advice..."I have been called a lot worse things by a lot better people."

I didn't read the post in question -- it was deleted by another moderator. However, I'll trust that moderator's judgement -- in the past, this particular moderator has been pretty lenient and doesn't delete posts arbitrarily. It's my understanding that the poster received a PM with an explanation of the action taken and why.

Gopher4Life complains that the rules aren't in print and aren't consistently enforced. Actually, there's a link on every page of a thread at the bottom left entitled "Forum Rules" The rules are somewhat general but include the provision that posts that are "obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws" are impermissible. As is also noted, "moderators of GopherHole Message Board Community will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages."

When we see an objectionable message, we evaluate it in terms of that general rule, regardless of whether we receive a complaint or not. However, we do review every complaint we receive and make a judgement whether the complaint is valid, etc.

Since there's four of us who serve as moderators, there may be some inconsistency between one moderator and another. We've increased our internal communication so that other moderators are aware of others' decisions and there are some occasional disagreements as to disposition of specific posts.

I've moderated other forums in the past and frankly think this forum is managed with a relatively light hand for a moderated forum. But it basically comes down to whether its members feel comfortable with the tone and conduct of the forum, its members and its moderators. I'd say the general comfort level is pretty good but understand there may be disagreements from time to time. Folks can certainly let us know when they're unhappy by clicking on the triangular icon at the top right of every post. The complaint goes to all moderators and somebody will respond when they can.

Gogo and others

I doubt the deletion had much to do with the content but the tone. At least they haven't deleted your rant against their action, that shows a level response.

I know what post of Dr. Don's was deleted because I had responded to it. It was an attack of sorts on a specific poster, which generally isn't a good idea. I thought it was pretty tame, but this isn't a democracy!

You can always take your "business" elsewhere but this has always been the best Gopher message board out there. Gogo, do you contribute financially to the 'Hole?

I doubt the deletion had much to do with the content but the tone. At least they haven't deleted your rant against their action, that shows a level response.

I know what post of Dr. Don's was deleted because I had responded to it. It was an attack of sorts on a specific poster, which generally isn't a good idea. I thought it was pretty tame, but this isn't a democracy!

You can always take your "business" elsewhere but this has always been the best Gopher message board out there. Gogo, do you contribute financially to the 'Hole?

vaporboy: whether one contributes or not to the GopherHole does not give more rights or fewer rights on the board. Those who do contribute, Good Job. Those who don't contribute, enjoy. Let's all stay cool and keep things in perspective.

I've posted hundreds of messages on this board since well before time began ( apparently the year 2000 ) and I have never been censored. Why do you soppose that is? For one thing I am long past the age where I think I am living in a world of idiots. If I disagree with someone I say why I disagree and watch for their response. Sometimes they give me more to think about.

Some people would get angry that I am suggesting they post using respect for others, rather than starting every post with a personal slur. If you feel this way, give yourself 20 years. You may find that the year in which your personal stake began is not the mile post everyone starts with.

Top Bottom