Qualifying score for Trabis "best 'n Nation" Ward

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
From Marcus Fuller:

Four-star back receives solid test score
Gophers target and four-star running back Trabis Ward from Dillard High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. was waiting to get the results back from his SAT test this week.

Ward, a 5-foot-10, 200-pound senior, said today he received a score of 1160, which definitely makes him eligible to play next season. He said earlier this week that he wanted to sign with the Gophers if he got a qualifying score, but he hasn't made a decision yet.

After being asked if he would be making an official visit to Minnesota this weekend or planning to sign soon, Ward said this morning that "I have to talk to coach."

Thanks for the update. I hope he decides to come here.

Hope he signs soon

The Carter switch and this signing would help brighten was has been a pretty gray winter.

From Marcus Fuller:

Four-star back receives solid test score
Gophers target and four-star running back Trabis Ward from Dillard High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. was waiting to get the results back from his SAT test this week.

Ward, a 5-foot-10, 200-pound senior, said today he received a score of 1160, which definitely makes him eligible to play next season. He said earlier this week that he wanted to sign with the Gophers if he got a qualifying score, but he hasn't made a decision yet.

After being asked if he would be making an official visit to Minnesota this weekend or planning to sign soon, Ward said this morning that "I have to talk to coach."

Sounds good. If he signs, welcome to the Gophers man.

Okay, people seem concerned about the number of running backs. First off, how many key contributing running backs do we actually have (or might have)?

Deleon Eskridge
Shady Salamon
Kevin Whaley
Duane Bennett
Hasan Lipscomb
Trabis Ward (maybe)

I exclude Jay Thomas because I just don't think he'll be able to get back in the mix after those injuries. Duane Bennett is no guarantee either. RB is one of the most physically demanding positions on the field. Having 6 of them isn't a bad thing by any means. You need depth at this position. It's nice to have some. USC had like 40 RBs last year lol. I say bring 'em all in, and may the best men win the spots. It'll only help our running game.

Deleon and Shady are fine, but I'm hoping one of the new guys is a real game-breaker. Regardless, competition is usually a good thing - see USC. I know they've had a bunch of guys transfer and we'll see what happens down the road with that, but the philosophy has worked so far.

I remember reading an article a few years ago about Pete Carroll and how the day after signing day, had a team meeting with the current roster. He showed them the highlight films of the new recruits and let the boys hoot and holler at the great plays they were seeing. After the film was over, he told the team "these are the guys were bringing in to take your job away". Message loud and clear - you're going to have to earn your job.

If you're going to recruit a lot of depth at one or two spots, I would say QB and RB are not bad choices. With the brutal line play of last year, I don't think you can write off Shady or Eskridge for this season. The new guys sounds great, Bennett has looked great but might not be the same after that injury. Whaley recieved plenty of hype coming in as well, so I think it's a wide open race that someone takes over and runs with in the fall. A good problem to have for sure!

He actually might be a pretty smart kid. An 1160 on the SAT is comparable to about a 25 on the ACT. That's probably better than 80% of the athletes that the U admits.

Is the SAT out of 1600 or 2400 now? I know it was 1600 when I took it, but I thought they added another section.

Is the SAT out of 1600 or 2400 now? I know it was 1600 when I took it, but I thought they added another section.

You're right, the new section brings the total to 2400 now. Excuse my lack of SAT knowledge for living in the heart of ACT-land all my life. So, the 1160 equates to about a 17 on the ACT. Eh, he's qualified - not quite in the 80th percentile though.:)

New schools in the mix?

I see on Rivals that South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida State, and Ohio State are included with Minnesota as medium interest. Also lists an offer from tOSU.

It equates to between a 16 and 17, or a 780 on the old SAT. It may be a struggle for him to qualify, I would think.

it depends on what score is being reported. the ncaa only requires math and verbal. the reading portion does NOT count towards the ncaa clearinghouse standards.

so unless we know that this is his cumulative score, then it may be better than we are giving him credit for.

I would suspect that the U's entrance requirements may be the reason why Trabis states he has to talk to coach. Yes, he's now cleared by the NCAA to play football next year, but he still needs to get into the U, which as we know can be easier said than done.

However, if the U does admit him, I would think he'll follow through on his original plan and sign with the Gophers this weekend. If not, then all bets are off. Still, getting a passing score on the SAT is at least a step in the right direction.

Very interseting on the Pete Carroll nugget. Hopefully every player understands that philosophy. It can only make for better competition for starting jobs, and thus, a better team overall.

You're right, the new section brings the total to 2400 now. Excuse my lack of SAT knowledge for living in the heart of ACT-land all my life. So, the 1160 equates to about a 17 on the ACT. Eh, he's qualified - not quite in the 80th percentile though.:)

17 is what he needs to get into the U here I believe. If that equates to that, yeah, he's done enough. As long as his classes and stuff are set, that should be enough if I'm not mistaken. On another note, he put himself in a bad way waiting until January to take his test, cause that could have messed him up for trying to latch onto a school for the upcoming season. But hey, all's well if he's done enough to qualify I guess lol.

edit: The more I look at stuff, the more shaky that 1160 looks. I mean, according to Wiki (obviously not necessarily the top flight source), an 1160 puts him under the 15th percentile. That can't be good enough. The mean is like 1500 somthing. Not sure what to make of this.

Had to see this coming...gets a passing score and finally gets interest from local schools. I'd say there is only a 50% chance he even comes here this weekend.

Got to love the pandering to players who are too dumb to count to ten without taking off their shoes. Brewster is desperate and it shows. I could get that score on the SAT in my sleep.

Got to love the pandering to players who are too dumb to count to ten without taking off their shoes. Brewster is desperate and it shows. I could get that score on the SAT in my sleep.

I'll bet you $1000 that you'd get a 0 on the exam if you slept through it.

Typical "Brew hater" post...***YAWN*** :rolleyes:

Desperate? C'mon, Brewster put together a decent recruiting class without some kid name Trabis Ward.
Minn is currently where WI was when they were bringing on at risk kids like Brent Moss. Big Risks = Big Rewards or Big penalties. For the coach, it is all chicken or all feathers. Time will tell.

Probably the most inept troll I've encountered. It'll be a pleasure to witness his intense stupidity. It seems once they cross a certain level of rediculousness they're more funny than annoying. Jshow more than accomplishes that.

your to funny for words! I have trouble believing you take yourself seriously much less expect us to!

Maybe you are posting in your sleep.

your to funny for words! I have trouble believing you take yourself seriously much less expect us to!

Maybe you are posting in your sleep.

We should not be taking risks on these guys because it makes us look worse both as an athletic program and as an institution of higher learning.

I take myself very seriously as opposed to some of you on here with your rediculous and unfunded opinions.

We should not be taking risks on these guys because it makes us look worse both as an athletic program and as an institution of higher learning.

I take myself very seriously as opposed to some of you on here with your rediculous and unfunded opinions.

Wait...you get paid for your opinions? Someone out there has waaay too much money.

Top Bottom