Q&A: Jesse Cardenas Has Three D1 Offers, Continues to Hear From Gophers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Jesse Cardenas Has Three D1 Offers, Continues to Hear From Gophers
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/415509?referrer_id=388419

Jesse Cardenas, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior linebacker from Lakeville (MN) North, is one of the state's top defenders in the Class of 2015 and was recently named to the Kare 11 preseason All-Metro team. Cardenas was a regular attendee at the Golden Gopher home games last season and helped lead a Panther defense that had five shutouts.

Gopher Hole caught up Cardenas to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You have offers from Air Force, Eastern Michigan and New Mexico. What other schools are you hearing from besides those three?

Jesse Cardenas: UNI (University of Northern Iowa). The "U" a little bit, off and on and NDSU a little bit. Those are the schools that I have been talking to so far. Hopefully, more schools will talk to me if I have a good year.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many college football camps this summer?

Jesse Cardenas: I went to the Wisconsin camp, NDSU camp, UNI camp and I was going to go to the University of Minnesota camp, but I actually ended up hurting my hamstring, so I couldn't do that one.

Gopher Hole: Any plans to go to any college football games this year?

Jesse Cardenas: I am planning on going to some Gophers games, but we want to get down to New Mexico and Air Force and see some games down there, which would be kind of fun to do.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about setting up some official visits to some of those places that are a little farther away?

Jesse Cardenas: Yes. I think that official visits start September 1st, so I think that we are definitely going our visits when that time comes to Air Force and New Mexico.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers? What are they saying to you?

Jesse Cardenas: The Gophers are saying that they are going to be watching my senior year closely and hopefully, if I do well, good things cam happen. I am planning on do my part and having a good season.

Gopher Hole: You had a great season last year, making to the state semifinals and have some great players back like yourself, Tristyn Hanson and your brother back. The defense was really good last year, but should be just as good this season, despite losing some seniors. What are the expectations for Lakeville North this year?

Jesse Cardenas: Our expectation is the opportunity to win a state championship. That is what our goal is. That is what we are working for every single day. Every day in practice, we are working towards that Prep Bowl. Our expectation is a state championship, so we think that we can do it. We have the players to do it. We have good coaching. Good personnel, so I think we'll get it done.

Gopher Hole: You have three good offers right now, but what do you think you need to do or show the college coaches at the slightly higher level that you can play at an even higher level that Mountain West or MAC schools, which are good schools.

Jesse Cardenas: I think just good downhill play. Playing sideline to sideline. Show them that I am still fast with the weight that I have put on. I think that I can do that this year and hopefully good things can happen throughout the season.

Gopher Hole: How do you think that you were able to do at the camps that you were able to attend before you got hurt?

Jesse Cardenas: I thought that I did really well, actually. I thought that I moved well and tackled well. . Overall, the camps went really well and then just transferred to our two-a-days and camps.

Gopher Hole: You are a captain this year. Do you like that leader role that you have had this summer?

Jesse Cardenas: Yes, I love being a captain. Me and my brother and my best friend, Tristyn Hanson have a good camaraderie and I think that we lead the team in a positive manner. I think that a lot of young guys look up to us, which is actually really cool seeing that, now that the team is coming together.

Gopher Hole: I know that Tristyn also has an Air Force offer. Have you ever talked about playing at the same place or playing with your brother? Would that appeal to you?

Jesse Cardenas: Yes. Me and Tristyn we talk about that actually quite often. We like Air Force. We like Coach (Ron) Vanderlinden, the linebacker coach down there and they told my brother that if he got a 25 on the ACT that they would offer him, too. If he does well on the ACT and all three of us got an offer from there, it would be pretty cool to all go play for Air Force, but that is not until February 4th and we are just focused on playing our season. If that happens, it happens. It would be a cool thing. We have talked about it before.

Gopher Hole: Would Minnesota look at you as a preferred walk-on or would you be able to earn a scholarship? Have you talked much about that with them?

Jesse Cardenas: I have not really had a conversation with them like that. They have said that they will be watching me this season and I am just going to do my part and do my best. Play the game the way that I can. If they like, they like me. If they don't, so be it. I am just going to try to do my best this year and help our team win a state championship.

Gopher Hole: You were named to the Kare 11 All-Metro team. What does that honor mean to you?

Jesse Cardenas: It means a lot because I have been watching football for a long time. My dad and I always watch the sports show at night and said how cool it would be to be on that team and I am very honored and humbled. There are some really great guys on the team. I am super excited because Tristyn and I are both on it. Three of the four linebackers are from Lakeville (Josh Corcoran of Lakeville South). Four of them are from our conference (along with Prior Lake's Alex Hart). It is a pretty big honor and I love it.

Top Bottom