Q&A: Jared Weyler Latest to Commit to Gophers, Says the U is a Great Fit for Him

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Jared Weyler Latest to Commit to Gophers, Says the U is a Great Fit for Him
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/343572?referrer_id=388419

Jared Weyler, a 6-5, 280-pound offensive lineman from Dayton (OH) Centerville, is the latest player to commit to Minnesota. Weyler helped lead the Elks to an 8-3 mark, losing to Dublin Coffman 42-14 in the first round of the Division I (largest class) state playoffs.

Weyler was named to the 2013 Associated Press Southwest All-District football teams and the 2013 All-Area Division I football teams as a senior. Centerville is known for producing outstanding offensive lineman such as Michael Bennett (Ohio State), Brant Gressel (Iowa), Evan Lisle (Ohio State), Benny McGowan (Michigan State), Ifeadi Odenigbo (Northwestern), Jake Replogle (Purdue), Mike Replogle (Indiana) and Kyle Rose (West Virginia) in the past three years. Gopher fans are hoping that Weyler will join that long list of successful Centerville lineman plus perhaps open a pipeline to a very fertile recruiting area.

Gopher Hole caught up with Weyler Monday evening to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: What was the main reason you decided to switch your commitment from Bowling Green to Minnesota?

Jared Weyler: It was just the right fit for me. I was very comfortable up there. I just had that feeling that was the place that I wanted to be for the next multiple years and it was just a great fit for me and I think that I am a great fit for the school.
Gopher Hole: How was the visit?

Jared Weyler: It was awesome. I got to see a lot of the campus. Obviously, I got to see all the football facilities and got to spend some time with a lot of the players that I got along really well with and I am a lot alike, so it was fun.

Gopher Hole: Had you ever been to Minnesota before in your entire life?

Jared Weyler: No. It was my first time.

Gopher Hole: Did your parents come up with you?

Jared Weyler: My dad went with me.

Gopher Hole: What were his thoughts?

Jared Weyler: He had the same impression that I did. It was just a great place. It was a very special place that he thought that I would fit in well at and I think that I can be successful there.

Gopher Hole: When did Minnesota first start to hear about you?

Jared Weyler: Once the Bowling Green coaches left, I was previously committed to Bowling Green. Once their coaches left, I started to look again and one of my coaches at our high school, actually played under Coach Kill awhile back and he hooked me up with them. I sent out my film and that was actually the first time that they had heard of me, so that is when everything started.

Gopher Hole: Was that a tough thing because you had committed to Bowling Green last summer and you hadn't really visited any schools? Was that tough situation to be in since you were almost starting all over again?

Jared Weyler: Yes, it was pretty much starting all over again, but it turned out for the best. I am really happy that I am going to Minnesota. Obviously, I put a lot more time into it the past few months with the visits, but it has all been worth it.

Gopher Hole: What other schools were you considering at the very end?

Jared Weyler: Miami of Ohio and then Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: The Bowling Green coaches went to Wake Forest. Did you consider them at all?

Jared Weyler: No. They actually didn't offer me.

Gopher Hole: What have they said about your role for next season? Lineman will typically redshirt to get bigger and stronger. Have they said much to you about a role that you might have?

Jared Weyler: Yes. There is a very good chance that I will be redshirted. I am going to be playing probably on the inside of the line, so I will definitely need to put on some weight and they have quite a few guys coming back, so I'll probably get redshirted.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that you are good with because you figure that you want to get bigger and stronger to be ready for the Big Ten?

Jared Weyler: Oh, yes. That is actually one thing that I want to do. It is better to be playing as a 23 year old than as an 18 year old and you also get another year of school paid for, so you can start a Master's.

Gopher Hole: I know that the MAC is a good conference, but what does it feel like to be playing now in the Big Ten.

Jared Weyler: It is unbelievable. There aren't many people that get this opportunity that I have been given and it is definitely something that I had to take advantage of. It is going to be awesome. It is truly an honor to be a part of that conference.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just committed, but what has been the reaction of your friends and family so far?

Jared Weyler: They are very happy for me. It is obviously far away, but like I said, it is one of those opportunities you can't turn down and it is going to be awesome.

Gopher Hole: Do you feel like a little bit of weight has been lifted off your shoulders finally knowing where you are going to playing college football?

Jared Weyler: Oh, yes. I can focusing on finishing my career up here in basketball at Centerville and enjoy my last few months here, a place that I have grown up my whole lfie.

Gopher Hole: How much do you think that basketball helps as a lineman in terms of foot work?

Jared Weyler: It has helped me a ton. Playing against some athletic guys, you need to learn how to keep up with them. It has helped me out with my feet a lot and my athleticism.

Top Bottom