Q&A: Gopher Commit Owen Salzwedel Had 7 Sacks in 1 Game; Now Has Eyes Set on the Axe

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Gopher Commit Owen Salzwedel Had 7 Sacks in 1 Game; Now Has Eyes Set on the Axe

Gopher Commit Owen Salzwedel Had Seven Sacks in One Game; Now Has Eyes Set on the Axe
By Rob Litt

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/197931?referrer_id=388419

Seven sacks in a single game is an incredible achievement. For future Gopher Owen Salzwedel, it was the motivation of playing in front of one of his future coaches as Gopher Coach Jeff Phelps was in attendance and no doubt he had to like what he saw. Salzwedel committed to the Gophers and is 100-percent on board. He recently took his official visit to the U and GopherHole recently caught up with him to learn more about his senior year, excitement to join the Gophers and hope of bringing the Axe back to the U.

GH: How was your senior season?

OS: I had a good season personally, but my team fell short of our goal of making the playoffs. My end of season honors so far have been first team all-conference.

GH: We heard that you had seven sacks in one game. What kind of zone were you in?

OS: I think I had a lot of motivation because Coach Phelps came to that game to watch me.

GH: How many Gopher games have you seen this season on TV or at home?

OS: My parents and I have watched all the games on TV and have been up to watch the Michigan game.

GH: What are your impressions of the Gophers team?

OS: I love Coach Kill and the rest of the staff, and it looks like the team is heading in a good direction. I hope I can contribute to the program.

GH: Once you commit, how often do you talk with the Gophers coaches? Who do you talk with most frequently?

OS: I talk with the coaching staff once a week by phone and its usually Coach Zebrowski. That guy can really talk!

GH: Have other schools stopped recruiting you or are you still getting interest and offers?
OS: At first there was still a lot of recruiting interest but that has slowed lately, I think people know that I am a solid commit to the U.

GH: What type of interest did Wisconsin show in you?

OS: Well to be honest at first Wisconsin really didn't show any interest at all and I never even got a junior day invite. Then once Minnesota offered things really changed, but by that time I knew Minnesota was where I wanted to play. Their loss.

GH: Are you 100% committed to Minnesota?

GH: What will it mean to win Paul Bunyan’s Axe?
OS: It will be great to bring the axe back to Minnesota. I can’t wait for that game and I hope I make the play that makes that happen.

GH: How was your official visit a few weeks ago?
OS: My official was great, they showed me and my family a lot of love and made me feel like they really wanted me to be a part of the team. I know my parents liked it too.

GH: What did you do on your official visit?
OS: We went to the game, dinner and had a chance to hang out with Maxx Williams. He was great and if all the players are like him it’s going to be great.

GH: Do you play a winter or spring sport?

GH: When do you plan on coming to Minnesota? Summer?

OS: I start college in early June so right away, so it will nice to get up there and start working.

gotta love having a kid who will be playing with a chip on his shoulder when playing wisconsin

yeah BD is in the backyard of Madison. unless this kid pulls a zagzebski he'll be a good get for us for more than 1 reason. Sittin home last weekend in Madison they had the prep bowl listings in the WSJ. they listed the schools the prep stars had 'committed' and you need to get the UofM in there to swing other kids.

absolutely love this comment.

GH: What type of interest did Wisconsin show in you?

OS: Well to be honest at first Wisconsin really didn't show any interest at all and I never even got a junior day invite. Then once Minnesota offered things really changed, but by that time I knew Minnesota was where I wanted to play. Their loss.

Top Bottom