Q&A: DE Julien Kafo on Gophers Commitment: "The main reason was the coaching staff."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: DE Julien Kafo on Gophers Commitment: "The main reason was the coaching staff."

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/313065?referrer_id=388419

Julien Kafo, a 6-foot-4, 245-pound defensive end from Mont-Tremblant (Quebec) Vanier, became the ninth player to commit to Minnesota after visiting the campus this weekend. Kafo attended the Minnesota Gopher Friday Night Lights football camp in July and picked up an offer immediately afterwards.

Kafo talked to GopherHole.com Sunday evening about the latest on his commitment.

Gopher Hole: What was the main reason you decided to commit to Minnesota?

Julien Kafo: The main reason was the coaching staff. As a young football player, the one thing that you want is a stable coaching staff and you want to know that the guys have some kind of chemistry together and they are going to be there for a long time. That is the feeling that you get with Coach Kill. Those guys have been together for more than ten years. That was the main reason. I also liked the atmosphere. I liked everything. The way that they welcomed you there and the way that the fans welcomed me there this weekend was very great.

Gopher Hole: I know that when I talked to you back in July, you really seemed to like your visit here. Did this just reinforce how much you liked Minnesota?

Julien Kafo: Yes. Obviously, I saw everything this summer and when I came back Friday, it wasn't just all that I remembered seeing. I was impressed again. It was, like you said, really reinforcing what I had thought. I had talked with my mom and my family about committing before coming up on my visit and when it came down to it, there was no doubt in my mind.

Gopher Hole: This was your first official visit. How was it?

Julien Kafo: It was great. It wasn't too much. I knew what I was looking for. I was especially excited for the academic meetings and things like that. It was really something that I needed to discover for me. I really got what I wanted out of it. The football game was a great game. I really think that group of players and the coaches are really going in the right direction. I am looking forward to being a part of it.

Gopher Hole: What all did you get a chance to see and do while you were here?

Julien Kafo: I had a chance to go through the whole campus. I went to the Mall of America with some coaches. I had a couple of dinners. I went to a couple of restaurants We had a tour of the whole stadium and also I spent a lot of time and spent the night with the guys before the home game at the hotel. I spent time with most of the guys on the team.

Gopher Hole: Did you think that there a good chance that you were going to commit this soon before the visit?

Julien Kafo: Yes. It was something, like I told you, I had talked about it with my mother. It was pretty clear in my mind that I would probably commit this weekend or coming back from the visit. I had the feeling that I just had to do it before I left. I wanted to be right in front of Coach Kill and tell him that I will be at the University. I didn't necessarily think that I would do it over there. I thought maybe when I came back, but I am really happy with my decision.

Gopher Hole: What was the reaction of the coaching staff when you committed?

Julien Kafo: They were really excited about it. Coach Kill was really excited. He was still trying to sell everything to me when I told him. Everyone was really happy. Most of the coaches that recruited me, the players. Everyone welcomed me to the family. It just made me feel that I made the right decision. As soon as I committed, the guys already treated me like I had spent the season with them.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to meet the other guys who were on their official visits this weekend and did you talk to them about maybe joining you?

Julien Kafo: I spent a lot of time with the other guys, especially Cody (Poock), the linebacker from Iowa. He was the one I spent maybe a little more time with him. Otherwise, I was with my host, Demaris Peppers most of the weekend. All the guys, the eight other guys who were there with me, were all great guys. If they all committed, I would look forward to having them as teammates.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to try to keep in contact with some of those guys?

Julien Kafo: Definitely. That is something I will try to do. That is how we are going to build a relationship and if you are able to build a relationship before you even are part of the team, that is even better for us.

Gopher Hole: How was your season this year?

Julien Kafo: Our season is over, so my offseason started. I started working out. Team-wise, our season was a little disappointing, but I can't complain. That is part of the game. You are going to win some and you are going to lose some. We can't win a championship every year. I had a good season on my part.

Gopher Hole: What was your record?

Julien Kafo: We were 7-3 and lost in the quarterfinals.

Gopher Hole: Have they talked to you about what position you might play. I know that they could look at you as a defensive end or a linebacker?

Julien Kafo: We have talked about more as a defensive end for the moment. They think that I have the advantage of being a little taller and bigger coming in. So far, we have been talking defensive end, mostly, but I am open to everything. As soon as I can play football, they can put me anywhere. I'll just play.

Gopher Hole: When will you enroll at Minnesota?

Julien Kafo: I will enroll in June.

Gopher Hole: You are a little bit older than American high school players. Do you think that is an advantage for you since you might be more physically ready to play right away than a high school player from Minnesota who is just 18?

Julien Kafo: I am going in there to learn. I will work really hard. I will work just like I was a high school player. Maybe I have spent a little more time than some of the guys in the weight room, but I will work just the same way. I am coming in as a freshman and my objective is to play fast, but whatever time it is going to take, I don't feel that I am older that I will always play faster. I am just looking to go there and however I contribute to the team, I will.

Good interview. Sounds like the Gophers added a really nice kid today.

Strib. Says he also had offers from Iowa and Nebraska.

Top Bottom