Q&A: Andrew Stelter Talks Signing Day Plans and Excitement to be a Gopher

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Andrew Stelter Talks Signing Day Plans and Excitement to be a Gopher
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/345049?referrer_id=388419

Andrew Stelter, a 6-4 senior defensive end from Owatonna (MN) High School, committed to Minnesota in July and will sign with the Gophers on Wednesday. Stelter was the lone non-senior named to the 2012 Associated Press All-State team and was a repeat selection this season.

Stelter led the Huskies to a 13-0 record as they won the Class 5A Prep Bowl beating Brainerd 24-0. They are dominant in the postseason, outscoring their five playoff opponents 174-27 with three shutouts. The Huskies had finished as runner-ups in 2012, losing in the 5A Prep Bowl title game to Totino-Grace 49-21.

GopherHole.com recently caught up with Stelter to learn the latest on his senior season and signing day plans.

Gopher Hole: Coach Kill was at your recent basketball against Fairbault, right?

Andrew Stelter: Yes. Him and Coach Phelps came down and watched us and talked for a bit after the game. They talked to some of the players that wanted to meet them and came over to our house afterwards and just had some desert and talked and left after that.

Gopher Hole: That has to make you feel pretty good that they took the time out of their busy schedule to come see you play?

Andrew Stelter: Oh, yes. It is awesome that they do that with the recruits. It shows that they still care about you and just because you are committed doesn’t mean that it is all over. It is cool that they do that.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about what you are doing on signing day? Are you doing a ceremony at the school?

Andrew Stelter: We usually do something after school at about three o’clock with everyone who is signing. It will actually be right here in the commons. We’ll be here, signing our things and getting our pictures taken for the newspaper.

Gopher Hole: Is that something you are looking forward to have it all done?

Andrew Stelter: Oh, yes. I am definitely excited for it. It is going to be fun just to finish the whole recruiting deal.

Gopher Hole: You committed fairly early. Did you enjoy the recruiting process or did you get tired of it or because you pretty committed to Minnesota, was it really even that big of a deal?

Andrew Stelter: I had a great time through the recruiting process. I think that everyone you talk to. It is an awesome time just going around, visiting schools, talking to the coaches. It has been fun.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that it will be a little bit of a weight off your shoulders once you finally put the pen to paper on the 5th?

Andrew Stelter: I think that weight was more lifted when I committed, honestly, but it will be great to just seal the deal and be 100% going to Minnesota next year.

Gopher Hole: Have you really heard from that many schools since you committed?

Andrew Stelter: I have heard from a couple, but I didn’t show any interest to them.

Gopher Hole: I know that Jeff Jones was here. Did you get a chance to say hi to him or talk to him at all ?

Andrew Stelter: Yes. I talked to him before their game.

Gopher Hole: Are you working on him a little bit?

Andrew Stelter: I talked to him and things sounded pretty good from talking to him with everything.

Gopher Hole: Have you been on contact with any of the other commits at all?

Andrew Stelter: Yes, I talk with Gaelin (Elmore) every once in awhile. That is probably the main guy that I talk to.

Gopher Hole: It is a little hard to put on weight while playing basketball with all the running, but what things are you going to be doing after the season? I know that you are probably going to do track and field, but what things are you going to be doing to get get ready for June and arriving on campus?

Andrew Stelter: I have been lifting for the last month now. I’ll be lifting the rest of the basketball season and the track season. Once I sign, the Gophers will send me a workout to do. That will get me ready for coming into practice this summer, so I’ll be doing that and throwing, like you mentioned, for track.

Gopher Hole: Have they talked to you much about expectations for next year. I know that to be honest, a lot of freshman will redshirt, especially linemen. Have they talked to you about what role you would have? Would you possibly play or do you have a preference?

Andrew Stelter: They told me that they think that I can come in and play next year and get into the rotation. They said either defensive end or defensive tackle. It all depends on how big my body gets this summer and how I react to the training and environment up there. As a preference, I would say that I don’t really have a preference, but if I had to guess what I would be playing next year, I would guess more defensive end.

Gopher Hole: What would you like to get up to weight-wise? Have you thought about that?

Andrew Stelter: I think that I would like to be about 260. Right around there, but pretty lean and still fast.

Gopher Hole: What are you at right now?

Andrew Stelter: 245.

Nice to talk about a big guy who wants to be a Gopher .

The kid sounds hungry to be a Gopher. We need more Stelters and fewer Ragnows.

Thanks for another great interview, Chris Monter.

I really hope the kid stays at DE. We've been outgunned out there for awhile. I think he's a good enough athlete to stay at de

I really hope the kid stays at DE. We've been outgunned out there for awhile. I think he's a good enough athlete to stay at de

Agree, it would be nice to have a DE with some size who can blow up an OT and stop the run.

if Ragnow's best offers were from Iowa State and Duke and Stelter's best offers were from FSU, OSU etc. then there would be a pretty good chance there would be the other way around.

Top Bottom